Glad we didn't get Spezza.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I will take Paul Stastny at $7m for 4 years than one year of Spezza then watching him sign somewhere else for $11+ million.

Look at what Toews and Kane just got. Holy Jumpin! Kane isn't any better than Stastny really. He gets a few more PPG but hes a winger and very one-dimensional. Those contracts are insane (right now). They may look OK in a few years after the cap keeps going up but CHI's hands are tied at least for the near future.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2013
St. Louis
Maybe not, but he will get a HUGE pay increase and I could easily see him asking for 11m. Depending on what he does with Dallas.

Definitely not 11m. But if the year goes pretty well he could probably try and land between the 7m figure for Stastny and the Kane/Toews number. Which is still nuts.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Maybe not, but he will get a HUGE pay increase and I could easily see him asking for 11m. Depending on what he does with Dallas.

Not a chance. At $11M, he would be the highest paid forward in the league. He'd make more than Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, Toews, Giroux and Getzlaf. All of which are better and younger. He'd make almost double what Seguin makes, and he will be the first line center to Spezza's 2nd line. Nobody is going to pay that for a guy already in his 30s. How he does in Dallas will effect his salary, no question. However, it will be somewhere in the range of $5m- $8m. $5m being if he tanks in Dallas, and $8m being if he thrives on the 2nd line without Benn and Seguin. Most likely it will be a similar $7M to his last deal.

medkit

Mar 22, 2014
First of all Crosby makes more than this. His contract started at 12 mil. It's an auld cap circumventing one with a few low (3m) years after he turns 35 to bring his AAV down. And Shea's is 11.5 for the first 8.

Kane isn't any better than Stastny really. He gets a few more PPG but hes a winger and very one-dimensional. Those contracts are insane (right now). They may look OK in a few years after the cap keeps going up but CHI's hands are tied at least for the near future.

Stastny as good as Kane? No way. A better comparison would probably be Stastny + Berglund vs. Kane, since all 3 just signed. But big contracts are more about "how much better are you than a cheap replacement," and they are another tier above Stastny (and got paid like it).

I think the Hawks will struggle with the cap for the first couple years of the deal, then it will look good for a few when guys like Stamkos and JT re-up, and then towards the end it will be even again because Toews will be 33, 34, 35 and still making 10.5m. Basically, it's a fair deal as long as they can both avoid career-threatening injuries.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
No he won't. If anything he'll take a pay cut. He'll likely end up with a 5 or 6 year deal worth between 6 and 7 million if he stays healthy. He'll be 32 by the time he signs that contract. There's not a chance in hell he even pushes 8 million.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Not a chance. At $11M, he would be the highest paid forward in the league. He'd make more than Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, Toews, Giroux and Getzlaf. All of which are better and younger. He'd make almost double what Seguin makes, and he will be the first line center to Spezza's 2nd line. Nobody is going to pay that for a guy already in his 30s. How he does in Dallas will effect his salary, no question. However, it will be somewhere in the range of $5m- $8m. $5m being if he tanks in Dallas, and $8m being if he thrives on the 2nd line without Benn and Seguin. Most likely it will be a similar $7M to his last deal.

Jerome Iginla gets 5.5. Bolland gets 5.5. Stastny gets 7. You your really think he would only get 5 even if he tanks in Dallas?

Either way it will be fun to re-visit this thread a year from now when the cap goes up and people are going to go crazy with contract offers for this guy.

No he won't. If anything he'll take a pay cut. He'll likely end up with a 5 or 6 year deal worth between 6 and 7 million if he stays healthy. He'll be 32 by the time he signs that contract. There's not a chance in hell he even pushes 8 million.

Iggy is 37 and has a 3/yr 5.5m contract. Who cares if Spezza is 32, he is still Spezza in his prime and he will still get paid. Easily more than 6m. The amount teams are willing to spend now is crazy. Cap goes up, prices go up.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Jerome Iginla gets 5.5. Bolland gets 5.5. Stastny gets 7. You your really think he would only get 5 even if he tanks in Dallas?

Either way it will be fun to re-visit this thread a year from now when the cap goes up and people are going to go crazy with contract offers for this guy.

Iggy is 37 and has a 3/yr 5.5m contract. Who cares if Spezza is 32, he is still Spezza in his prime and he will still get paid. Easily more than 6m. The amount teams are willing to spend now is crazy. Cap goes up, prices go up.

If he tanks in Dallas, you really think people will throw big money at him? Because I sure don't. Nobody is saying prices don't go up, but they don't go up at an astronomical rates for aging, injury prone centers. He won't sniff 11 million. He might get 7.5.

SteenMachine

Oct 19, 2008
Fenton, MO
I bet he gets hurt, kills their season when they don't have the depth to replace him and takes virtually the same contract Stastny did from someone who's sick of waiting for their #1C to develop out of thin air.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I'm glad that The Blues didn't hurt their overall current, and future player assets to have a player for likely only one year, who will play hurting, and not propel the team into winning The Stanley Cup, and who IF re-signed, would force The Blues to not be able to sign one or two of their talented, young players, down the line.

I'd much rather trust the addition of Stastny, Lehterä and Lindström to help the offence enough, and the added forward depth allowed by not adding Spezza's big contract to also help the team this season. And not lose Spezza and the assets traded for him after one season. Or worse yet, to have the huge salary as a noose around the team, while having the oft-injured declining player's large salary as a noose around the organisation's neck, for 4-5 years.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I'm glad that The Blues didn't hurt their overall current, and future player assets to have a player for likely only one year, who will play hurting, and not propel the team into winning The Stanley Cup, and who IF re-signed, would force The Blues to not be able to sign one or two of their talented, young players, down the line.

I'd much rather trust the addition of Stastny, Lehterä and Lindström to help the offence enough, and the added forward depth allowed by not adding Spezza's big contract to also help the team this season. And not lose Spezza and the assets traded for him after one season. Or worse yet, to have the huge salary as a noose around the team, while having the oft-injured declining player's large salary as a noose around the organisation's neck, for 4-5 years.

This is more or less what I was trying to say. Everyone got hung up on my exaggeration of $11m. I said he might ask for that... DEPENDING on what he does in Dallas and seeing wha Toews and Kane got. And everyone got hung up on that number.

Thanks Rob. My thoughts exactly, I couldn't get the words out correctly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad