Given the current board, who would you draft at #31?

Bps21*

I watched the draft with friends and told them before it started that if we traded up I wanted Barbashev. Now here he is..in our laps. Easily the best value on the board. If Murray passes it will tell us something about himself. Not just him...IMO the second half of round 1 all passed on him because he is a Russian. But this is a little different. We have 2 other seconds. He's literally one third of your second round picks and far and away the best guy on the board. If we pass...man...we are done with Russians lol

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I think they'll take him, if for no other reason than to help reclaim a little value from Grigorenko by giving him a fellow countryman to come up through the ranks with, make him more comfortable as a Sabre and all that.

At least, that's what I'm telling myself at the moment.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
There is virtually no chance we select Barbashev. It's a trade out, or a selection of a defenseman IMO.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Is Barbashev falling because hes Russian? Thought for sure this kid would go top 20.

No real way to find out why he slipped out of the first.... But the Russian factor could be a safe guess.

Why would he be different than the other guys who did go in the first, though?

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Is there something I'm missing though? Did Barbashev seem to pose more of a "return home" threat than Scherbak or Goldobin?

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
No real way to find out why he slipped out of the first.... But the Russian factor could be a safe guess.

Just preference i guess. Really loved his game in Moncton and i thought other gms would fall in love with his game, but of course had other guys rated above him. Would really love to get him here at 31.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Just preference i guess. Really loved his game in Moncton and i thought other gms would fall in love with his game, but of course had other guys rated above him. Would really love to get him here at 31.

His various scouting reports don't read like your stereotypical Russian from whom you hide. Responsible, good in his own end, physical, coachable, adaptive....

Come on, Murray. Stack dat cupboard even more with a higher end talent versus a Lemieux.

Bps21*

Don't overthink it guys. Not a surprise. Even this one who has none of the "lazy Russian" stink on his character. It is the way of the league.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Don't overthink it guys. Not a surprise. Even this one who has none of the "lazy Russian" stink on his character. It is the way of the league.

Two Russians went late in the 1st. Goldobin and Scherbak. They and Barbashev all played in the CHL. That pretty much covers the high-profile Russians in this draft. There's also Kamenev, a guy expected to be a 2nd rounder. He's been playing in Russia, but is coming over to the CHL next year I believe.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Two Russians went late in the 1st. Goldobin and Scherbak. They and Barbashev all played in the CHL. That pretty much covers the high-profile Russians in this draft. There's also Kamenev, a guy expected to be a 2nd rounder. He's been playing in Russia, but is coming over to the CHL next year I believe.

"We are working on the termination of his contract and Vlad does want to play in North America next year in order to get closer to his dream of playing in NHL," Saglo wrote in an email. "We believe that he'll get a better development and more ice time on your side of the ocean, which is crucial at his age."
not certain yet but yeah, they're trying to get Vlad out from the 'gorsk deal and into NA

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
I really really really really want Barbashev here, but I have as very sad feeling we go with McKeown here :(

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
His various scouting reports don't read like your stereotypical Russian from whom you hide. Responsible, good in his own end, physical, coachable, adaptive....

Come on, Murray. Stack dat cupboard even more with a higher end talent versus a Lemieux.

I agree, very "Canadian" like player lol. I dont see the Russian factor being a problem at all with Barbashev but I guess we'll all see if the Sabres like him as much as most of us do.

Jim Carr's Rug

Jan 16, 2006
Denver
With two other picks in the first half of the 2nd round, along with the depth within our prospect pool, I think taking a risk on a Russian is well worth it here. Plus, another countryman for Zadorov and Grigorenko can't be a bad thing either.

Hopefully the break overnight has given Murray some time to think about it and arrive at the same conclusion.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Murray talked about the value of the pick, that staffs are going back to their hotel room tonight talking about how they have to get #31 to land their remaining guy. He said he'd love for someone to overpay for the pick.

I agree with the post below yours. What are we gonna get, a couple thirds? Meh. Take Barbashev, please.

Sounded like he wanted a veteran roster player.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
I think Murray would rather trade the pick for a young winger ie. Brett Connolly, Jeremy Morin, Mark Stone but if we keep it I'd like Barbashev or Lemieux.

I really don't see the excitement for Cornel. Every time I saw him he seemed disinterested and lazy.

ZeroPT*

There was 2 other Russians taken in round 1..

There's 2 things I think:
1)Teams had a player left rated higher than Barbashev
2)Barbashev gave poor interviews

Russian factor isn't present when two other russians are taken before you, all 3 from the CHL.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
The Ducks drafted zero Russian players while Murray was Director of Personnel. From 2007-2013, Ottawa drafted 1 Russian, that was in 2007.

ZeroPT*

The Ducks drafted zero Russian players while Murray was Director of Personnel. From 2007-2013, Ottawa drafted 1 Russian, that was in 2007.

Because when they picked, their wasn't any good Russian players around their picks.

In Ottawa,their was 5 Russians taken in the top 60, from 07-13. 2 were taken before Ottawa picked and 3 were taken after.

They went BPA in most cases

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad