Given recent events, should the Hawks be forced to surrender draft capital?

Punishment regarding draft picks moving forward

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
There needs to be consequences for their terrible internal investigation, and all the pathetic displays from the people around the team who gaslit Beach. Multiple picks would be a start. I'd feel bad for their fans but it is what it is.

Reactions: Kreator

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
There needs to be consequences for their terrible internal investigation, and all the pathetic displays from the people around the team who gaslit Beach. Multiple picks would be a start. I'd feel bad for their fans but it is what it is.

They don’t deserve to have any fans.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Yes, hit them where it hurts and everyone in the league will know what the consequences of this kind of crap are.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
Part of me wonders if the NHL took into account the resignation of Bowman when deciding whether or not to dock the Blackhawks picks. I can see them taking the stance that, with Bowman resigning, those ultimately responsible for the debacle in the first place have effectively been purged from the organization, and that docking picks would essentially be punishing the team now for the failures of the front office ten years ago.

On the other hand, I think it's critically important to set a strong precedent that this type of inaction is intolerable and will have major consequences in the future.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
If the NHL deemed Chayks running gym class was worthy of stripping them of their 1st, I see no reason why the Hawks should be able to keep theirs
Not the same situation at all. If you don't understand the difference then don't participate in the conversation. If you want to make an argument that this is one of the only ways to punish the organization fine. But being unable to see that what Arizona did gave them an upper hand and what happened in Chicago had nothing to do with getting an advantage in drafting. Well thats on you.

Personally don't think any draft capital should be taken away. You're ultimately punishing the fans for something they had nothing to do with. The individuals responsible are going to get their due. Their lives are going to be ruined. I am not really sure why that's not enough. It's setting a precedent.

I'd actually like to hear one logical explanation how the current draft picks and sexual misconduct from over a decade ago are related.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Not the same situation at all. If you don't understand the difference then don't participate in the conversation. If you want to make an argument that this is one of the only ways to punish the organization fine. But being unable to see that what Arizona did gave them an upper hand and what happened in Chicago had nothing to do with getting an advantage in drafting. Well thats on you.

Personally don't think any draft capital should be taken away. You're ultimately punishing the fans for something they had nothing to do with. The individuals responsible are going to get their due. Their lives are going to be ruined. I am not really sure why that's not enough. It's setting a precedent.

I'd actually like to hear one logical explanation how the current draft picks and sexual misconduct from over a decade ago are related.

The fans are free to choose which franchise they desire to follow, dealing with the consequences of sexual abuse is an integral part of being a Blackhawks fan at this point. If you do not wish that to be a part of your life then you can choose a different team.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The fans are free to choose which franchise they desire to follow, dealing with the consequences of sexual abuse is an integral part of being a Blackhawks fan at this point. If you do not wish that to be a part of your life then you can choose a different team.
Wait, what?... What a select few individuals did that you had no idea about or participated in does not constitute 'that being part of your life' what a ridiculous concept. It's a sports franchise not a way of life. There is no end to what you are suggesting. You can stretch it to any level. 'If you like hockey then this is part of your life'. If you watched hockey for 1 minute this is part of your life'. 'If you know what hockey is this is part of your life'.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Absolutely not, it wouldn’t hurt any executive involved as they’re all no longer with the team, and it doesn’t hurt the value of the franchise for the ownership. Only hurts the fans. Ban all involved from being employed by the league again and give hefty fines to the owner but stripping championships and picks doesn’t punish anyone

Reactions: Voight and bert

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Wait, what?... What a select few individuals did that you had no idea about or participated in does not constitute 'that being part of your life' what a ridiculous concept.

That's how being a fan is, you don't get to choose what the target of your fandom is like. You can just choose to be a fan or not be a fan. If you support a rotten organization then you either deal with it or you stop supporting them and take your money somewhere else.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
That's how being a fan is, you don't get to choose what the target of your fandom is like. You can just choose to be a fan or not be a fan. If you support a rotten organization then you either deal with it or you stop supporting them and take your money somewhere else.
Ok by that logic you're a bad person for being a hockey fan. As the Blackhawks are a hockey franchise and you like hockey.

Reactions: Voight

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Ok by that logic you're a bad person for being a hockey fan. As the Blackhawks are a hockey franchise and you like hockey.

Yes, as a hockey fan I must accept that the sport has a big problem with its toxic culture and I don't get to pretend otherwise.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Absolutely not, it wouldn’t hurt any executive involved as they’re all no longer with the team, and it doesn’t hurt the value of the franchise for the ownership. Only hurts the fans. Ban all involved from being employed by the league again and give hefty fines to the owner but stripping championships and picks doesn’t punish anyone
Stop using logic. It doesn't jive around here.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

Blackhawks failed as an NHL organization with their handling of this very, very serious situation. Being punished for it as an organization sounds fine to me.

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
Out on the main screen, my computer showed NHLT's newest commented thread as "Given recent events should"... The answer to anything that starts that way is a blanket "No" 99.5% of the time. This time is no different.

Taking away tomorrow's draft picks over an event that happened a decade+ ago just sends a confusing message. It has nothing to do with what happened back then (most of the players impacted would have been in 4th grade or so when it happened). Punishing a team because we have to look like we're doing 'something' is dumb/wrong. Now everyone from the organization who knew & did nothing (front office, coaching staff, players in leadership positions, & anyone in the NHLPA (player's rep, their officials who may have known), 'they' should be tossed out of the NHL today* &, those that are worthy enough, any HOF consideration is off the table for 20 years. "That" would send a message that couldn't be ignored, but punishing a team who, with the exception of a very few people who need to go, had nothing to do with the original crime/problem isn't right either.

*appeals allowed, but until that is held, the person is out of their job. Compensation may be due from Chicago to any team that traded for a banned player - giving up their draft picks for 'that' situation...I'm ok with.

Reactions: bert

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
In the past, the NHL has made it part of their policy to strip draft picks from teams violating rules. Generally, all sports use that as sort of a punishment for the team as a deterrent from certain behaviors. I absolutely think that the Blackhawks should lose a few draft picks spread out between 2022-2027/2032 depending on how many, given the severity of this violation. It impacts the team and it impacts the culture.

MakeTheGoalsLarger

Dec 9, 2011
Antarctica
What does it have to do with hockey?
What a selfish thing to do to even think about that. But hey, the NHL punished Avery for saying stupid comments about a woman, so they've been known to play God before.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
What does it have to do with hockey?
What a selfish thing to do to even think about that. But hey, the NHL punished Avery for saying stupid comments about a woman, so they've been known to play God before.

The Blackhawks ignored it, because they thought it was going to be a distraction to their Cup win. So, yes it does have everything to do with hockey and the culture of winning at all costs.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Should be a massive fine. I don't like the idea of stripping picks, they didn't cheat or try to cheat but it's absolutely inexcusable. Tough subject, not really sure what the right answer is, but there needs to be some sort of punishment. League needs to set an example now.

Reactions: Castle8130
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad