Given everything we know, what is your definition of success for this season?

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
Prior to Letang going out I think it was legitimately Cup or bust for this season, then with injuries piling up we had to reset those expectations. Then Murray went down literally minutes before the playoffs started, then, well, we know where we are today.

So I ask you, given the way MAF has played, given the way the team has played, given that Sid may or may not play again this year and even if he does he might not have Sheary on his wing, how do you rate success this year now?

Are you still in Cup or bust mode? I understand i fyou are because if we do get past the Caps and we do get Sid back we have to feel like back to back Cups are in play.

For me, watching that team gut out game 4 against the Caps was unreal. No doubt that was one of my favorite moments as a Pens fan. I literally want one more win this year and anything else is playing with house money. I'm being honest here. I legit want them to win a Cup but if they just eliminate Washington it will be hard to feel anything but good about the way this year ends.

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
Beat the Caps, hopefully in embarrassing fashion. It's all I want or expect at this point.

Is there anyway to beat the Caps that won't be embarrassing for them? As depleted as our lineup is and with them intentionally (IMO) taking out Sid I don't see how the President's trophy winners can't be embarrassed if we knock them out, again.

TimbitsHockey877*

Mar 21, 2016
Just beat the Caps, I dont care what happens next round. But I do think they can beat Rangers or Sens without Sid but they will need him for Preds.

Konstantin Koltsov

May 18, 2010
PA
After Crosby went out, my whole mentality shifted to just win this series and anything after that is gravy. But I have a feeling that might change if they do advance.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
If they get by the Caps and lose to one of these remaining teams, that's kinda a disappointment to me, partly considering I feel the Pens would be the best remaining team. Getting knocked out by say the Rangers would suck, as would be losing to whoever in the Cup finals.

I know, hard to repeat, with injuries may not actually be the best, and I'm happy with 2 cups in 7 years, but... 3 in this era is roughly how I envisioned it to be back when they were on the rise with the back to back cup appearances.

Also, really want to tie the Blackhawks. Their cup teams basically never had any significant injuries, big reason they have the extra cup.

And no, I'm still not counting out Washington. Do like our chances though - blowing 3-1 series leads was more a Bylsma era thing.

zero8771

Jun 15, 2012
even with sid out it's hard for me to see the pens losing 4 of 7 to any team. they've been a machine in the playoffs under sully. they don't always look amazing but their results have been unquestionably good. as long as I can't imagine them losing; my expectations are for them to win the cup (or at least make the final)

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
It's already a successful season. Still be very disappointed if we don't get the cup but given all the adversity we've faced I'm extremely proud. We also discovered Jake :)

Long term if we have guys like JR and Sully at the helm I'm less worried about what happens after Sid and Geno retire.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
It's already a successful season. Still be very disappointed if we don't get the cup but given all the adversity we've faced I'm extremely proud. We also discovered Jake :)

Long term if we have guys like JR and Sully at the helm I'm less worried about what happens after Sid and Geno retire.

Agree mostly.

I still think the team CAN win the cup...but a month ago I knew they would...

turd

Feb 1, 2013
Beating the Caps would be glorious. If they lost next round, though, I'd probably be upset. They shouldn't lose to any of those two scrub teams. If they lose in the SCF, I'll be content with their season.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Yeah considering how far we are now and what teams are left...let's get the cup. Wed have home ice throughout. Sid and Sheary should be back.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
A successful season is to only finish behind teams who are better than us. That means right now it's Cup or bust. We can beat the Caps with these injuries. If we can beat this Caps team, we can beat anybody.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Hard to say given the uncertainty with Sid. If he comes back and the Pens get past the Caps I'd say anything short of a Cup is a disappointment. If he doesn't come back then I'd say the season is a success no matter what because even blowing a 3-1 lead wouldn't be an embarrassment given the injury hand we've been dealt. It'd suck for sure, but wouldn't exactly be unexpected.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Given the enormous challenges thrown at this team, Number one defenseman, goalie and the best player in the game, Sheary as well, all out. No other team in the league has faced as much adversity and no other team has done as well.

It is already a success and given that next team will be completely loaded, likely for three years to come given how long it will take the kids to need new contracts, you could not ask for me.

But I am asking. Requesting. But no matter what happens it really is gravy at this point.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Given the enormous challenges thrown at this team, Number one defenseman, goalie and the best player in the game, Sheary as well, all out. No other team in the league has faced as much adversity and no other team has done as well.

It is already a success and given that next team will be completely loaded, likely for three years to come given how long it will take the kids to need new contracts, you could not ask for me.

But I am asking. Requesting. But no matter what happens it really is gravy at this point.

Yep, agree with this post.

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
I think Cup or bust. I think that's what it should be every year while Crosby and Malkin are around and still in their primes.

They look like a real threat to repeat as long as Sid doesn't miss a lot of time and Fleury keeps playing out of his mind.

This season has had the perfect script up to this point. Have to win 9 more games to get the ending the story needs.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I just wanted a good year. Feel we've had that. Would love to finish this series though. After that, with eight wins left... I'd be disappointed not to win the whole thing, particularly if sid is back. But not that disappointed if another team plays lights out to beat us.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
If we can make it past the Caps, we should be able to make it past anybody else left in the playoffs... I don't see why we couldn't win it all again this season. If Crosby and Sheary come back sooner rather than later, we're only really missing Letang as a key piece. Fleury has elevated his game so much, that Murray's loss really doesn't matter at the moment.

Go for gold man.

jjp66

Apr 10, 2015
I'd be pretty disappointed if we can get by the Caps, but lose to another team. I still feel the Caps are our biggest hurdle in these playoffs.

Lustaf

Nov 26, 2008
Victoria, BC
When they injured Crosby it immediately became crushing the Caps dreams again. Rest is gravy.

If Sid and Sheary come back? Cup Finals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad