Give us your top ten players of all time

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
Just as suspected, blowing smoke. Nothing during O6 era - overlooking Sven Tumba in 1957 and Ulf Sterner in 1964, About 10 years late on the Czechs and Finns, by the mid 70s. Americans early 1960s.

Facilitated by the 1969 IIHF rule changes. So no impact on the O6 era.

Tumba and Sterner were elite players in the NHL? Which one of us is blowing smoke here?

Sure there were Americans before and some good ones sprinkled in here or there but nothing compared to what came in the 80’s and after.

It’s sad that you would rather be seen as not comprehending what is being said instead of admit that what’s being said is true.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Tumba and Sterner were elite players in the NHL? Which one of us is blowing smoke here?

Sure there were Americans before and some good ones sprinkled in here or there but nothing compared to what came in the 80’s and after.

It’s sad that you would rather be seen as not comprehending what is being said instead of admit that what’s being said is true.

Tumba and Sterner were elite Europeans who for a variety of reasons did not impact the O6 NHL in a fashion like they impacted IIHF competition.

Conversely, low average future NHL Canadians impacted IIHF competition to a greater extent in the 1950s and 1960s - Seth Martin and Fran Huck to name a few.

1980s onwards NHL opportunities for Europeans and Americans increased thanks mainly to the WHA which served as the prime entry point.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
1. Orr
2. Gretzky
3. Lemieux
4. Howe
5. Beliveau
6. Hull
7. Richard
8. Jagr
9. Tretiak
10. Roy

BackToTheBasics

Dec 26, 2013
I was looking through some of the all-time lists after seeing the HOH's plan of creating a new top 100 list and decided to put together my personal top 20 list.

1. Wayne Gretzky
2. Bobby Orr
3. Gordie Howe
4. Mario Lemieux
5. Bobby Hull
6. Maurice Richard
7. Jean Beliveau
8. Dominik Hasek
9. Raymond Bourque
10. Patrick Roy
11. Jaromir Jagr
12. Sidney Crosby
13. Alexander Ovechkin
14. Stan Mikita
15. Phil Esposito
16. Jacques Plante
17. Nicklas Lidstrom
18. Guy Lafleur
19. Eddie Shore
20. Howie Morenz

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I was looking through some of the all-time lists after seeing the HOH's plan of creating a new top 100 list and decided to put together my personal top 20 list.

1. Wayne Gretzky
2. Bobby Orr
3. Gordie Howe
4. Mario Lemieux
5. Bobby Hull
6. Maurice Richard
7. Jean Beliveau
8. Dominik Hasek
9. Raymond Bourque
10. Patrick Roy
11. Jaromir Jagr
12. Sidney Crosby
13. Alexander Ovechkin
14. Stan Mikita
15. Phil Esposito
16. Jacques Plante
17. Nicklas Lidstrom
18. Guy Lafleur
19. Eddie Shore
20. Howie Morenz
Nice one. This is a good list, methinks.

Reactions: BackToTheBasics

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009

1. Wayne Gretzky
2. Bobby Orr
3. Gordie Howe
4. Mario Lemieux
5. Bobby Hull
6. Maurice Richard
7. Jean Beliveau
8. Dominik Hasek
9. Raymond Bourque
10. Patrick Roy
11. Jaromir Jagr
12. Sidney Crosby
13. Alexander Ovechkin
14. Stan Mikita
15. Phil Esposito
16. Jacques Plante
17. Nicklas Lidstrom
18. Guy Lafleur
19. Eddie Shore
20. Howie Morenz
Hold onto that one. You'll need 100 more names because we'd love to have you participate.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017

1. Wayne Gretzky
2. Bobby Orr
3. Gordie Howe
4. Mario Lemieux
5. Bobby Hull
6. Maurice Richard
7. Jean Beliveau
8. Dominik Hasek
9. Raymond Bourque
10. Patrick Roy
11. Jaromir Jagr
12. Sidney Crosby
13. Alexander Ovechkin
14. Stan Mikita
15. Phil Esposito
16. Jacques Plante
17. Nicklas Lidstrom
18. Guy Lafleur
19. Eddie Shore
20. Howie Morenz

Doug Harvey and Mark Messier missing. The latter one is especially egregious to me.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Doug Harvey and Mark Messier missing. The latter one is especially egregious to me.
It's just the nature of these things. Some all-time greats have to be left off anyone's top-20 list.

You won't find a bigger Messier fan than me, but I'm not sure I'd have him in the top-20.

Doug Harvey's absence is notable on that list, but I'm sure BackToTheBasics had him just outside. That's the way it goes.

Reactions: blogofmike

BackToTheBasics

Dec 26, 2013
I have Harvey just outside the top 20 and Messier closer to 30. Messier is just a tad overrated imo and I prefer Shore and Lidstrom over Harvey. I could just as easily switch over Harvey and Lidstrom because their careers seems fairly identical but Lidstrom gets the nod today.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
I throw a flag on the field for any Messier/Bourque gap. It’s the same career overlap, and Messier was largely perceived higher - in spite of switching from LW to a position far less receptive to All-Star selections. Having Bourque top-10 and Messier close to 30 feels like an attempt to balance F : D numbers that’s gone awry.

Reactions: blogofmike

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
I throw a flag at your flag...I think Bourque was notably better than Messier. I think I probably underrate Messier to the point that I've already started going back and watching some more 80's Oilers games this past week just to try to get back on solid footing with him...but I don't know about Messier being in Bourque territory...I'll always listen, but I just don't see where this is going, respectfully...

BackToTheBasics

Dec 26, 2013
I throw a flag on the field for any Messier/Bourque gap. It’s the same career overlap, and Messier was largely perceived higher - in spite of switching from LW to a position far less receptive to All-Star selections. Having Bourque top-10 and Messier close to 30 feels like an attempt to balance F : D numbers that’s gone awry.
If Messier really was perceived higher at the time, it was likely heavily media-driven. Messier had a great prime but he was nowhere near as consistent as Bourque season-to-season. Bourque received notable Norris trophy and AS team consideration throughout his entire career. He was runner-up for the Hart trophy twice and top 5 on 3 other occasions. Bourque finished second to Gretzky in '87 and Messier just barely won the Hart over him in the '90 season after receiving only 2 more votes. Messier had far too many empty seasons for me to consider him above someone as consistent as Bourque. While it was more difficult to receive AS votes at the center position, you would at least expect him to finish top 3 or even top 5 more than 3 times over 15 seasons. He received no votes at all more often then not.

BackToTheBasics

Dec 26, 2013
I have a lot more questions about Shore than I do Harvey...maybe I should direct this to the prelim thread...
In my opinion, Lidstrom, Shore, Bourque, and Harvey are all close enough that you can argue for one over the others. It all really comes down to personal preference. You can go ahead and ask your questions in the prelim thread if you'd like.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
I throw a flag at your flag...I think Bourque was notably better than Messier. I think I probably underrate Messier to the point that I've already started going back and watching some more 80's Oilers games this past week just to try to get back on solid footing with him...but I don't know about Messier being in Bourque territory...I'll always listen, but I just don't see where this is going, respectfully...

THN (1998)
12. Messier
14. Bourque

ESPN (2004)
11. Messier
12. Bourque

THN-60 Since 67 (2007)
4. Messier
8. Bourque

The Score (2017)
5. Messier
17. Bourque

USA Today (2017)
8. Messier
16. Bourque

Don’t get me wrong; all of these lists since their careers are, as a whole, pretty awful and inconsistent. But there’s not going to be anyone who has seen Mark Messier and not Ray Bourque or vice-versa because it’s the same career overlap. And yet, there may be a complete absence of a media list with the reverse order - that is to say, HFBoards’ ~10th-ranked Bourque over HFBoards’ ~30th-ranked Messier.

If the gap between the two is that big, how did it escape basically every collective assigned with the same task except this forum? Pretty similar Hart distribution. Probably no way to present a playoff argument for Bourque. The chief difference in Bourque’s favor seems to be that there are fewer Bourque-level defensemen historically than there are Messier-level forwards. Which probably would be huge had they not played at the exact same time over which Messier was received marginally better.

It’s just asking for a lot of people to have been completely wrong in their assessment in the moment, immediate aftermath, and the decades-after reflections. I’ve seen it characterized as 1997ish Messier-mania, but... it hasn’t ended in establishment circles. They gave him an award. Throughout NHL 100, they brought him alongside Gretzky, Orr, and Lemieux now that Howe has passed. How many times has he presented the Hart Trophy? He’s that guy.

If he was competing for awards against Bourque’s competition for accolades (1982 Doug Wilson, 1987 Mark Howe, 1988 Scott Stevens, 1990 Al MacInnis, 1992 Brian Leetch, 1996 Chris Chelios, and 1997 Brian Leetch) would he have any less than the equivalent to what amounts to five Norris Trophies?

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
Bourque received notable Norris trophy and AS team consideration throughout his entire career.

So if Messier stayed a Left Wing and retired with, like, 15 All-Star selections, do you perceive him to be a better player not because of a difference in performance but because of a difference in the field against which All-Star selections are assigned? He took All-Star selections in his three seasons leading into the position switch (1982, 1983, 1984). It’s not far-fetched he’d keep accumulating them if he’s not fighting for a spot on 5-3-1 ballots at the deepest position in maybe the most top-heavy era in that position’s history.

Also, you’re citing media-narratives as inflating Messier’s reputation while citing a media-voted award (defensive All-Star) as a reason to elevate Bourque’s. Not sure I follow. If the same media which awarded Bourque these accolades also thought Messier was a better player, why would that make their opinion of Messier relative to Bourque less reliable?

BackToTheBasics

Dec 26, 2013
So if Messier stayed a Left Wing and retired with, like, 15 All-Star selections, do you perceive him to be a better player not because of a difference in performance but because of a difference in the field against which All-Star selections are assigned? He took All-Star selections in his three seasons leading into the position switch (1982, 1983, 1984). It’s not far-fetched he’d keep accumulating them if he’s not fighting for a spot on 5-3-1 ballots at the deepest position in maybe the most top-heavy era in that position’s history.

Also, you’re citing media-narratives as inflating Messier’s reputation while citing a media-voted award (defensive All-Star) as a reason to elevate Bourque’s. Not sure I follow. If the same media which awarded Bourque these accolades also thought Messier was a better player, why would that make their opinion of Messier relative to Bourque less reliable?
If we look at his career if he stayed at the wing position and assume that he would produce the same amount, the seasons that you could award him with AS team selections are 86/87, 87/88, 88/89, 89/90, 91/92, 94/95, and 95/96. That would give him a total of 10 AS team selections (along with 1982, 1983, 1984). Considering how weak the wing position was at the time, I wouldn't view his career any differently. He would be around a top 6-8 winger and still around the same range on my all-time list.

I don't think it's too much to ask for him to at least be a top 3 player at his position during his prime if Lemieux and Gretzky didn't exist. Let's say we removed Lemieux and Gretzky from the equation, would his competition for AS recognition still be greater than Bourque's at the D position? Messier would be battling with Yzerman, Fedorov, Oates, Roenick, Hawerchuk, Francis, and Lindros. Bourque was battling with Chelios, Leetch, Coffey, Lidstrom, MacInnis, Langway, and Potvin in his later prime years. That competition seems pretty even to me to say the least. In his healthy seasons without Lemieux and Gretzky, he would still likely get beat out by his competition in most years other than '90 and '92. So if that were the case, he'd end up with around 5 or 6 AS team selections. Again, that's still pretty great but it still wouldn't move the needle for me on an all-time centers list nor on an all-time players list.

As far as his playoff performances go, that's where he obviously has a significant advantage over Bourque but he has also played on significantly better teams over his career. Bourque didn't have the luxury of playing on a dynasty team and that's what really elevates Messier over Bourque in all-time discussions. Messier has this whole aura about him as a playoff monster who willed his team to a guaranteed victory with an empty-net goal hat trick. He has that intangible factor that the media always fawn over. That's what I was alluding to when I was mentioning that his reputation as an all-time player is largely media-driven. I'm sure if Bourque was given an opportunity to play with all-star caliber players, he would have produced more legendary moments that would raise his status over Messier among the mainstream media.

I don't really put much value on those sort of things which is why he's so low on my list. I wouldn't blame anyone who would place him in their top 15 if they really valued playoff moments but that's not me. I value consistency, regular season play, and peak above anything else. Bourque has him beat in those departments in my opinion.

Also, to your point above, Lindsay also has an award that was renamed after him and has been presenting it every season except for this past one. Does that mean that he should be elevated to a top 10-15 player just because he's respected by the NHL community? Also, I don't have the stats on this but wasn't it more difficult for a defense man to garner Hart consideration back then and wouldn't that make it more difficult to compare their Hart voting records?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad