Give us your top ten players of all time

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Offence-first forwards versus a defense-first defenseman who was constantly tasked to shut down the oppositions top lines at ES. You're a "team first, winning means all, I love defense" guy. Are you really making this argument? I'm sure the top forwards of Harvey outpaced him greatly at ES too, but you'd like to ignore that part.

I think it's time for me to move on now. You're just throwing darts at a board constantly hoping something will stick. Lidstrom and Harvey were extremely similar in so many ways. I can appreciate both, but I feel one had greater feats. That's why I feel if one belongs in the top 10 all-time, it's Lidstrom. Maybe both should be there but then there's Bourque, too, so having 4 D seems like too much.

We were looking at Top 10 candidates. Defencemen from the DPE, from Chara down to Blake, all had significantly better ES V PP results. Lidstrom drifts into Gonchar territory.

Zdeno Chara Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Player Season Finder | Hockey-Reference.com

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
We were looking at Top 10 candidates. Defencemen from the DPE, from Chara down to Blake, all had significantly better ES V PP results. Lidstrom drifts into Gonchar territory.

Zdeno Chara Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Player Season Finder | Hockey-Reference.com

I wouldn't be posting that second link if I were trying to make your argument. Lidstrom stands alone at the top there.

You're really digging, I'll give you that. Lemieux also put huge points up on the PP. It doesn't affect my opinion of his top 10 status either.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I heard you out and it’s hard to believe you are actually serious. Ron Francis, who was a great player, was never an all-star while Lidstrom was 13 times! He didn’t have the playoff career Lidstrom had either. You lost me right there. It’s clear right away you are severely severely underrating Lidstrom. It really comes down to pretending a whole generation of defenseman was weak in order to bring down the top guy even though he played in the biggest version of the NHL with the most diverse elite talent seen to that point. If elite defenseman were so scarce during his prime then doesn’t that still make his super valuable on the peer to peer level? Peer to peer comparisons is always how you compare, until it comes to Lidstrom.

Save me the dogmatic thought and give me some real reasoning and evidence for your points. It’s clear to me that it is just dogma and that’s why it has more holes than a pound of Swiss cheese.

Harvey did not produce the offensive numbers Lidstrom did. Not the the raw points, adjusted points, and had generally lower team finishes. He was no where near the goal scorer Lidstrom was as he deferred to Geoffrion as the shooter on the PP. Lidstrom was usually the shooter for his team and he could one-time the puck with the best of them. “Better in almost every which way”, heh. I think Lidstrom was better defensively than offensively and was on the godly level so go ahead and pretend Harvey was superior there if you’d like. Not buying it, he had Plante the yearly AS behind him while Lidstrom had guys like Vernon, Osgood, an older Hasek, and Howard.

Your test is backed up by nothing. Am I supposed to assume Harvey would win all the Norris’ against everyone except Orr? Would 50 points in 70 games cut it because I’m thinking that’s the reason why you don’t think Lidstrom could do it in the higher scoring eras. What was wrong with Lidstrom’s ceiling anyway? During his peak wasn’t he usually considered both the best defenseman offensively and defensively and a great big game performer as well (playoffs)? I fail to see the difference between the two. Please actually show me.

Did Lidstrom have to wait for his seniors to slow down or did he also have to hit his prime because that’s a pretty big coincidence. Both Lidstrom and Harvey got their first AS nominations at 27 so maybe Harvey had to wait his turn too but I don’t see claims of the guys before him being superior. Funny, eh? Or maybe he needed Stewart, Quackenbush, and Reardon to get older and slow down before he could make his mark.

Do you think it’s really logical to believe Harvey’s competition was better than Lidstrom’s? I mean, one literally only faced Canadians for accolades while the other faced international elite talent. This is where we pretend the Canadian players in the O6 were all cyborgs like the kids these days talk about current players. Was Red Kelly, his main early competition, a defenseman or a forward? He could play both but doesn’t anyone else find it strange that he played forward later in his career when D usually mature later? Maybe he was great offensively but nothing to write home about defensively? And I’m guessing Gadsby, Pronovost, and Flanman were superior to all of Lidstrom’s peers - but only the guys who came immediately after what people believe to be the most top heavy era of defenseman of all-time? Funny how that works, too, eh?

And much of the more recent era, that you think is so strong in comparison, couldnt even wrestle the Norris votes from a 41 year old Lidstrom, which is even worse than how Lidstrom had to wait his turn.

Something is majorly off about this whole argument of yours.

Hmmm............no, the Francis thing - as I literally said in my other post - was not about comparing Francis to Lidstrom. What I meant was that Francis is in a similar situation where he was good for so long that he has a better career value than other players. He probably has a better career value than Eric Lindros. However, was he better than Lindros in his prime? Not a chance. This is how I see Lidstrom. I will repeat, Lidstrom was better in career value and peak than Francis 10 times out of 10. That is not what I was comparing. I was simply saying that Lidstrom tends to have more career value because he was good for so long than other defensemen who peaked higher than him and were better at their best. Potvin is a good example here. I can't see where Lidstrom ever has the peak Potvin does. But the fact that he played longer than Potvin and at a still very high level it sort of forces you to put him ahead of Potvin on an all-time list. But peak vs. peak I don't see where anyone puts Lidstrom ahead of him.

It was Bourque that I said was better than Lidstrom in every which way. If you want to give Lidstrom the edge defensively then fine, but it is very small and the other aspects Bourque wins hands down. He controlled the pace of the game better than Lidstrom did, as did Harvey. But since I saw Bourque and Lidstrom's careers in full I can see this. Bourque had more on his plate and needed to carry a weaker team than Lidstrom did.

By the way, 50 points for a defenseman in the 1950s was incredible. Orr is the defenseman who ushered in a new era, but historians will also credit Harvey and Kelly before him as defensemen that controlled the flow.

I just don't see it with Lidstrom as much as other defensemen. He was a great defenseman, but was he as central to the success of his teams as Bourque or Harvey? When you are thinking of the Habs dynasty it is pretty much a toss-up between Harvey and Beliveau. Lidstrom was important, but like I said, when you are talking about defensemen this great you have to nitpick here and there about this and magnify things to compare.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
I wouldn't be posting that second link if I were trying to make your argument. Lidstrom stands alone at the top there.

You're really digging, I'll give you that. Lemieux also put huge points up on the PP. It doesn't affect my opinion of his top 10 status either.

Second link illustrates the level of competition for defencemen during Lidstrom's time and their ages.

Lemieux? 699 PP points out of 1723. Huge ES advantage.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Just wondering, did you list your top 10 anywhere?

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
Hmmm............no, the Francis thing - as I literally said in my other post - was not about comparing Francis to Lidstrom. What I meant was that Francis is in a similar situation where he was good for so long that he has a better career value than other players. He probably has a better career value than Eric Lindros. However, was he better than Lindros in his prime? Not a chance. This is how I see Lidstrom. I will repeat, Lidstrom was better in career value and peak than Francis 10 times out of 10. That is not what I was comparing. I was simply saying that Lidstrom tends to have more career value because he was good for so long than other defensemen who peaked higher than him and were better at their best. Potvin is a good example here. I can't see where Lidstrom ever has the peak Potvin does. But the fact that he played longer than Potvin and at a still very high level it sort of forces you to put him ahead of Potvin on an all-time list. But peak vs. peak I don't see where anyone puts Lidstrom ahead of him.

It was Bourque that I said was better than Lidstrom in every which way. If you want to give Lidstrom the edge defensively then fine, but it is very small and the other aspects Bourque wins hands down. He controlled the pace of the game better than Lidstrom did, as did Harvey. But since I saw Bourque and Lidstrom's careers in full I can see this. Bourque had more on his plate and needed to carry a weaker team than Lidstrom did.

By the way, 50 points for a defenseman in the 1950s was incredible. Orr is the defenseman who ushered in a new era, but historians will also credit Harvey and Kelly before him as defensemen that controlled the flow.

I just don't see it with Lidstrom as much as other defensemen. He was a great defenseman, but was he as central to the success of his teams as Bourque or Harvey? When you are thinking of the Habs dynasty it is pretty much a toss-up between Harvey and Beliveau. Lidstrom was important, but like I said, when you are talking about defensemen this great you have to nitpick here and there about this and magnify things to compare.

Your comparison is still ridiculous and it’s obviously an attempt to downgrade a player. Lidstrom wasn’t just some career compiler, he won 7 Norris’ and was widely regarded as the best defenseman in the game for a long long time - extremely similar to Harvey in that regard in fact. His peak is underrated because of a lack of Hart recognition but he deserved more than he got. Again, you need to pretend a whole generation of defenseman was really weak for Lidstrom and pretend Harvey’s was very strong to make this work. It doesn’t work. I’d take Lidstrom’s peers over Harvey’s in a heartbeat. There’s just so much more talent in the modern era, it’s not even close. After Kelly it’s not impressive at all and, again, was he a forward or a D? Why would anyone move a dominant defender up to forward later in his career if he was great defensively? Kelly seemed to have a Leetch-type of trajectory on D then they moved him up.

Do you believe Harvey peaked as high as Potvin and Bourque? Harvey’s point totals and finishes in team scoring are closer to Lidstrom’s than there’s, with Lidstrom actually looking better than Harvey in this regard, so where do you go from there? That’s the problem with using these metrics against Lidstrom and then turning around and forgetting about them completely when it comes to Harvey. There’s no consistency and never has been. Telling me he controlled the game like Bourque but then realizing he didn’t transcend the game like Orr, he just put up modest offensive numbers and you get me scratching my head. Topping out at 50 points was not blowing people away, not when Kelly already hit 54, Gadsby hit 51 twice, and Pilote went even higher shortly after. How do you back up these claims with some sort of evidence? He wasn’t the offensive catalyst Orr or Bourque were or he would have had more points on a stacked team. Harvey was more like Lidstrom, which is just fine but he doesn’t need to be oversold.

The Lidstrom/Bourque thing was done to death years ago and don’t you have Harvey over both, so why turn to Bourque now? Lidstrom’s playoff career is more impressive than Bourque’s and that’s not a small thing to me and it’s what makes them so close. No one but me has Bourque in their top 10 from what I see but it’s way easier for you to point to a Bourque comparison against Lidstrom than Harvey. I see points for Bourque over Lidstrom, I don’t see enough for Harvey over Lidstrom though.

In several of Harvey’s prime years his team not only had him, the top defenseman in the game, but they also had the top centre in Beliveau, the top goalie in Plante, and even one of the top wingers - take your pick because Richard still had gas left in the tank sometimes, and Geoffrion won the Hart in Harvey’s last season in Montreal. Lidstrom’s Red Wings often had the top D, him, but did they ever have the top goalie or forward? Nope, not other than Fedorov one season prior to Lidstrom’s prime. Both were blessed with great depth and coaching. Yet you tell me Harvey was more important to his team. Do you not see the problem with this claim of yours?

As we know Lidstrom did it with two different cores, first being part of the core with Yzerman and Fedorov and then with Zetterberg and Datsyuk. He was the constant for both. Again, you act like Harvey carried his teams like Bourque, which simply isn’t true. Plante even won the Hart after he left. This is all dogma that you just repeat but when you delve into it it doesn’t hold up. You only nitpick one player and pretend he wasn’t as great as he was, then pretend Harvey was more than he was.

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
Just wondering, did you list your top 10 anywhere?

My phone doesn’t show me post # but it was a couple pages back on Monday at 12:52 pm. I would like to renege on having goalies included though cause it makes it so much harder. They impact games too much so I could have a few and that wouldn’t look right.

Gretzky
Orr
Lemieux
Howe
Crosby (I’m projecting here)
Lidstrom/Bourque (cop out)
Beliveau
Jagr
Ovechkin (projecting again)

I wish I could properly compare Makarov and Fetisov but exactly what they’d do in the NHL in the 80’s in an unknown.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
My phone doesn’t show me post # but it was a couple pages back on Monday at 12:52 pm. I would like to renege on having goalies included though cause it makes it so much harder. They impact games too much so I could have a few and that wouldn’t look right.

Gretzky
Orr
Lemieux
Howe
Beliveau
Jagr

I wish I could properly compare Makarov and Fetisov but exactly what they’d do in the NHL in the 80’s in an unknown.

Thanks for this.

So no Hull, Richard, Harvey or Shore, even without goalies.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

Gretzky
Orr
Lemieux
Howe
Beliveau
Jagr

I don't dislike this list tbh.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I think if you collected everybody's list, outside the Top 4, the name that would appear the most would be Béliveau.He's the one with the most ''robust'' case (highest floor).

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Gretzky
Orr
Lemiuex
Howe
Crosby
Ovechkin
Esposito
Messier
The Rocket
Jagr
Yzerman

Both Crosby and Ovechkin will continue to add to their point totals and will end up top 10 all time in scoring.

Messier? what the @#$!, I'd have a hard time placing him in the top 30.

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
I think if you collected everybody's list, outside the Top 4, the name that would appear the most would be Béliveau.He's the one with the most ''robust'' case (highest floor).

Prototypical big skilled two-way centre. Something teams have looked for ever since when building a team. He came into the league with a bang and left on top, too. I might be the biggest critic of the O6 here but he had it all, and grace to boot. That’s one of my biases, players who always played with class and integrity. They were that good, no need to ever cross the line or intimidate because they didn’t need that to beat you.

Messier may deserve more mention than he’s getting in this thread but he rubbed me the wrong way because he was the antithesis of this. Maybe others agree.

Reactions: Sentinel

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
Thanks for this.

So no Hull, Richard, Harvey or Shore, even without goalies.

I’m not perfectly happy with my list but I don’t think half the top players of all-time could possibly come from the O6. It screams overvaluing that era to me.

Shore isn’t in the picture for me because it’s too much hearsay. I want to at least be able to watch the guy play. He was also like Messier but it’s more about the former.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Your comparison is still ridiculous and it’s obviously an attempt to downgrade a player. Lidstrom wasn’t just some career compiler, he won 7 Norris’ and was widely regarded as the best defenseman in the game for a long long time - extremely similar to Harvey in that regard in fact. His peak is underrated because of a lack of Hart recognition but he deserved more than he got. Again, you need to pretend a whole generation of defenseman was really weak for Lidstrom and pretend Harvey’s was very strong to make this work. It doesn’t work. I’d take Lidstrom’s peers over Harvey’s in a heartbeat. There’s just so much more talent in the modern era, it’s not even close. After Kelly it’s not impressive at all and, again, was he a forward or a D? Why would anyone move a dominant defender up to forward later in his career if he was great defensively? Kelly seemed to have a Leetch-type of trajectory on D then they moved him up.

Because compared to other eras Lidstrom had less defensemen of high ceiling to compete with, at least in comparing him to Bourque. This is why Bourque has 5 Norrises, and Lidstrom 7. To see both of their careers if you put their best seasons from best to worst how many Norrises does Lidstrom have? It isn't 7. So there's that. This is explains why Bourque has 19 all-star nods compared to 12 for Lidstrom. That's a pretty big discrepancy. I like doing the Bourque comparison because when people say "Well, Harvey played too long ago to compare to Lidstrom" then you always have Bourque, who played part of his career in Lidstrom's era. Bourque and Harvey are about as similar as you are going to get in my opinion.

Do you believe Harvey peaked as high as Potvin and Bourque? Harvey’s point totals and finishes in team scoring are closer to Lidstrom’s than there’s, with Lidstrom actually looking better than Harvey in this regard, so where do you go from there? That’s the problem with using these metrics against Lidstrom and then turning around and forgetting about them completely when it comes to Harvey. There’s no consistency and never has been. Telling me he controlled the game like Bourque but then realizing he didn’t transcend the game like Orr, he just put up modest offensive numbers and you get me scratching my head. Topping out at 50 points was not blowing people away, not when Kelly already hit 54, Gadsby hit 51 twice, and Pilote went even higher shortly after. How do you back up these claims with some sort of evidence? He wasn’t the offensive catalyst Orr or Bourque were or he would have had more points on a stacked team. Harvey was more like Lidstrom, which is just fine but he doesn’t need to be oversold.

Yeah, Harvey peaked as high as Potvin and Bourque. You're talking about a guy who, when you think about the star of the Habs dynasty is thought to be that guy by about half of the historians.

Harvey finished 2nd in assists in 1955. Three other times in the top 7. This was a defenseman who was well rounded, not just one who was a rover that scored points. I don't know what you need to be impressed by peak, but that's pretty good. Also, 50 points could possibly get you into the top 10 in scoring in the original 6. This is why you always need to take things in context. Harvey's numbers do not look impressive if we are using the modern equivalent, but keep in mind this was pre-Orr NHL.

Another thing to note is that while Lidstrom had his stars on his team, we can agree Harvey had more. Yet Harvey STILL stood out on that team more than Lidstrom. I think the proper order of those good Wings teams as far as contribution would be Yzerman, Fedorov and Lidstrom. No way is Harvey third on an even more stacked Habs team. He's no worse than 2nd. That should tell you something.

As we know Lidstrom did it with two different cores, first being part of the core with Yzerman and Fedorov and then with Zetterberg and Datsyuk. He was the constant for both. Again, you act like Harvey carried his teams like Bourque, which simply isn’t true. Plante even won the Hart after he left. This is all dogma that you just repeat but when you delve into it it doesn’t hold up. You only nitpick one player and pretend he wasn’t as great as he was, then pretend Harvey was more than he was.

Bourque carried his teams better than any great defenseman of all-time. No doubt. Harvey didn't "carry" the Habs, but the idea is that he was the glue of that very star-studded team. Heck, you can say Beliveau and maybe not be wrong, but it is like 1a and 1b here.

Harvey was just what people and historians and ones who saw him play has always been. It is just in the internet era that this has been challenged. For no reason in particular either. Lidstrom was great, but there has to be a bit of context. He didn't have that all-time great defenseman to go up against in his best years. One year his best competition was Dion Phaneuf. I'm just saying.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
Messier? what the @#$!, I'd have a hard time placing him in the top 30.

I wouldn’t have him in the top-10 either, but it’s probably more justifiable than keeping him outside of the top-30. He was largely held in the same (or higher regard) as Ray Bourque and Patrick Roy going into the late-1990s, and I would say that of the three, only the latter added much after that.

Coming out of 1996-97, he was sitting at 1552 points in 1272 games (essentially a 100-point player across 18 seasons) with 10 separate seasons in the top-10 in points or points-per-game while playing a complete game: offensively, defensively, and physically.

Had he stayed at LW instead of transitioning into a Center, he’d have been a constant in the year-end 1st/2nd Team All-Star selections - just as Alex Ovechkin has been and how Ray Bourque was at their easier position (than Center) for the accolade.

Maybe a top-5 player in the history of Stanley Cup hockey. Two Hart Trophies, runner-up to Mario Lemieux for a third, maybe the favorite for the 1987 and 1990 Art Ross Trophies had there been no Gretzky/Lemieux, consistently rated as one of the best leaders in sports with two Stanley Cups and two President’s Trophies as captain and a vocal role underneath Gretzky in his early days.

I mean, even if you were to rate Ray Bourque higher by virtue of the position not generating stars of their caliber with the same frequency, how big of a gap can you have between Mark Messier and Ray Bourque before you’re re-writing history? Or do you have Ray Bourque outside the top-30 too?

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
Because compared to other eras Lidstrom had less defensemen of high ceiling to compete with, at least in comparing him to Bourque. This is why Bourque has 5 Norrises, and Lidstrom 7. To see both of their careers if you put their best seasons from best to worst how many Norrises does Lidstrom have? It isn't 7. So there's that. This is explains why Bourque has 19 all-star nods compared to 12 for Lidstrom. That's a pretty big discrepancy. I like doing the Bourque comparison because when people say "Well, Harvey played too long ago to compare to Lidstrom" then you always have Bourque, who played part of his career in Lidstrom's era. Bourque and Harvey are about as similar as you are going to get in my opinion.

Yeah, Harvey peaked as high as Potvin and Bourque. You're talking about a guy who, when you think about the star of the Habs dynasty is thought to be that guy by about half of the historians.

Harvey finished 2nd in assists in 1955. Three other times in the top 7. This was a defenseman who was well rounded, not just one who was a rover that scored points. I don't know what you need to be impressed by peak, but that's pretty good. Also, 50 points could possibly get you into the top 10 in scoring in the original 6. This is why you always need to take things in context. Harvey's numbers do not look impressive if we are using the modern equivalent, but keep in mind this was pre-Orr NHL.

Another thing to note is that while Lidstrom had his stars on his team, we can agree Harvey had more. Yet Harvey STILL stood out on that team more than Lidstrom. I think the proper order of those good Wings teams as far as contribution would be Yzerman, Fedorov and Lidstrom. No way is Harvey third on an even more stacked Habs team. He's no worse than 2nd. That should tell you something.

Bourque carried his teams better than any great defenseman of all-time. No doubt. Harvey didn't "carry" the Habs, but the idea is that he was the glue of that very star-studded team. Heck, you can say Beliveau and maybe not be wrong, but it is like 1a and 1b here.

Harvey was just what people and historians and ones who saw him play has always been. It is just in the internet era that this has been challenged. For no reason in particular either. Lidstrom was great, but there has to be a bit of context. He didn't have that all-time great defenseman to go up against in his best years. One year his best competition was Dion Phaneuf. I'm just saying.

Again, I’m not interested in the Lidstrom/Bourque comparison again because this section beat that horse years ago so much that there must be a tombstone somewhere for it. I’m already repetitive enough and I’m fine if someone chooses Bourque because I see good arguments for it, too. But now I’m concerned other posters might think you and I are in cahoots because you just set things up for me like it’s tee ball.

Bourque and Harvey about as similar as you’re going to get? It’s like you and I are at a party talking to two fraternal twins who look very similar and some random dude walks up who doesn’t resemble either and you start raving about how he looks like one of the twins after not saying anything about the twins resemblance. I’m as flabbergasted now as I would be in that situation. You’ve got to be kidding me, right?

Lidstrom and Harvey had similar trajectories as players, played in similar situations, had very similar accomplishments, and I’m almost positive they played similar styles. Bourque is the odd one of the three and I’ll show you what I mean.

Lidstrom started his NHL career at 21 and garnered his first AS nomination at age 27. Harvey started his NHL career at 23 and his first AS nomination also at age 27. Bourque started at 19 and was an AS at 19. This ones easy.

Lidstrom played most of his career on strong teams with very nice to great supporting casts. So did Harvey, although for the era his teams were even stronger than Lidstrom’s and had even better supporting casts, including an elite goalie almost every season. Bourque had some good to great teams and at times he had strong supporting casts but nothing really on the same level as the other two, apart from the end with the Avs. Two down.

Lidstrom won 4 Cups, 7 Norris’, and had 12 AS nominations. Harvey won 6 Cups, 7 Norris’, and had 11 AS nominations. Bourque had 1 Cup, 5 Norris’, and 19 AS nominations. See the difference?

Lidstrom was really defense first, took few chances, and had very good but modest team finishes and point totals. Harvey must have been similar because everything matches on a slightly smaller scale (we’ll see more further down). Bourque took more chances, and did it well, had higher team finishes, and produced more offense than the other two. In this regard, Lidstrom sits between the other two. Check mark.

I’ll add to that Bourque had the toughest competition in his prime, although I think his actual competition during his earlier years wasn’t that strong due to inconsistency and injuries and that helped him get more AS nominations than he may have got otherwise. Potvin and Robinson weren’t having prime seasons every year and Fetisov was overseas. Lidstrom had a little less competition during his prime, but there was still a world of elite defenders and he had to deal with Bourque’s peers who were older but still great and already established. Harvey had Kelly early on, and then it dropped right off and Kelly wasn’t in the picture for Harvey’s last 4 Norris’ and 5 AS nominations. All his competition throughout was only Canadian. Last check mark established.

Now, how exactly is Bourque more similar to Harvey than Lidstrom is? If you say both controlled the game then I’ll ask, then why didn’t Harvey get more points and finish higher in team scoring? How could one possibly control the game like Orr or Bourque on a stacked team and not do better in those two metrics? Please give me another example of a player who controlled the game so much but just got unlucky with offensive production.

Let’s see...

Team finishes:

Lidstrom 6, 10, 8, 8, 6, 4, 2, 6, 3, 2, 4, 4, 9, 4, 3, 3, 5, 3, 2, 8.

Harvey 14, 9, 8, 5, 10, 5, 5, 6, 6, 5, 8, 16, 13, 7, 6, 4, 21, 12.

Bourque 4, 5, 4, 5, 3, 1, 3, 1, 1, 5, 2, 1, 1, 3, 2, 2, 2, 4, 3, 3, 2 (?), 6.

Adjusted Points - best to worst:

Lidstrom 79, 77, 76, 75, 69, 67, 67, 67, 65, 64, 63, 61, 59, 53, 52, 51, 45, 44, 37, 33.

Harvey 68, 63, 59, 52, 48, 48, 42, 41, 41, 36, 33, 31, 30, 26, 22, 22, 4, 2, 0.

Bourque 84, 82, 80, 79, 76, 75, 72, 70, 69, 67, 66, 64, 64, 61, 59, 56, 55, 55, 52, 50, 48, 42.

It clearly goes Bourque, Lidstrom, Harvey.

The historians told you Harvey was the glue and just as good as Beliveau, so that’s good enough, no need to nitpick him, right? I know that is what’s going on, I noticed a long time ago. All the top defenseman were the glue for their teams. That’s what a two-way elite defender who plays half the game and plays in every situation does. They could all defend and transition the puck amazingly. You’re trying so hard to pretend Harvey and Lidstrom were different. I have news for you, they’re extremely similar. By the late 90s Yzerman literally stated that Lidstrom was the MVP of the team, then he won the CS on one of the most stacked teams in recent memory. Then he continued being their elite rock on the backend until 2011 doing it with a different core. Yzerman and Fedorov were gone, so now Zetterberg and Datsyuk were better than the best D in the world, too? Your separation of Harvey and Lidstrom importance is not reality whatsoever, you just want it to be true.

You want to add context? As a defenseman would it be better to be competing with 6 teams worth of forwards and other D for a high place in league scoring, whether it be points or assists, or a 21 to 30 team league? Now also add being on the powerhouse team in that 6 team league when 2 or 3 of the other teams are far weaker. Can you see he difference?

Lidstrom completely dominated Norris voting in ‘08 with 127 of a possible 134 votes and I don’t even think the votes he didn’t get were justified (for example, Campbell got a 1st place vote from some drunk voter). “Double Dion” Phaneuf was hyped as the next Stevens and scored 60 points so he fooled some people so he finished 2nd and had 2 first place votes but that season also had prime Pronger, who was coming off his Cup and only missed 10 games, prime Chara, and Gonchar with 65 points. Also 24 year old Keith, who obviously had to wait for Lidstrom to get old before he could contend (that’s how it works, right?). Harvey dominating Pronovost, Gadsby, Flaman, etc. is not as impressive. There were only 6 teams so usually by default the top defenseman on each team got votes, plus Harvey’s teammate Johnson, who won it during Harvey’s injury plagued year. Talk about Bourque’s competition all you want but Harvey’s was far weaker than Lidstrom’s.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Again, I’m not interested in the Lidstrom/Bourque comparison again because this section beat that horse years ago so much that there must be a tombstone somewhere for it. I’m already repetitive enough and I’m fine if someone chooses Bourque because I see good arguments for it, too. But now I’m concerned other posters might think you and I are in cahoots because you just set things up for me like it’s tee ball.

Bourque and Harvey about as similar as you’re going to get? It’s like you and I are at a party talking to two fraternal twins who look very similar and some random dude walks up who doesn’t resemble either and you start raving about how he looks like one of the twins after not saying anything about the twins resemblance. I’m as flabbergasted now as I would be in that situation. You’ve got to be kidding me, right?

Lidstrom and Harvey had similar trajectories as players, played in similar situations, had very similar accomplishments, and I’m almost positive they played similar styles. Bourque is the odd one of the three and I’ll show you what I mean.

Lidstrom started his NHL career at 21 and garnered his first AS nomination at age 27. Harvey started his NHL career at 23 and his first AS nomination also at age 27. Bourque started at 19 and was an AS at 19. This ones easy.

Lidstrom played most of his career on strong teams with very nice to great supporting casts. So did Harvey, although for the era his teams were even stronger than Lidstrom’s and had even better supporting casts, including an elite goalie almost every season. Bourque had some good to great teams and at times he had strong supporting casts but nothing really on the same level as the other two, apart from the end with the Avs. Two down.

Lidstrom won 4 Cups, 7 Norris’, and had 12 AS nominations. Harvey won 6 Cups, 7 Norris’, and had 11 AS nominations. Bourque had 1 Cup, 5 Norris’, and 19 AS nominations. See the difference?

Lidstrom was really defense first, took few chances, and had very good but modest team finishes and point totals. Harvey must have been similar because everything matches on a slightly smaller scale (we’ll see more further down). Bourque took more chances, and did it well, had higher team finishes, and produced more offense than the other two. In this regard, Lidstrom sits between the other two. Check mark.

I’ll add to that Bourque had the toughest competition in his prime, although I think his actual competition during his earlier years wasn’t that strong due to inconsistency and injuries and that helped him get more AS nominations than he may have got otherwise. Potvin and Robinson weren’t having prime seasons every year and Fetisov was overseas. Lidstrom had a little less competition during his prime, but there was still a world of elite defenders and he had to deal with Bourque’s peers who were older but still great and already established. Harvey had Kelly early on, and then it dropped right off and Kelly wasn’t in the picture for Harvey’s last 4 Norris’ and 5 AS nominations. All his competition throughout was only Canadian. Last check mark established.

Now, how exactly is Bourque more similar to Harvey than Lidstrom is? If you say both controlled the game then I’ll ask, then why didn’t Harvey get more points and finish higher in team scoring? How could one possibly control the game like Orr or Bourque on a stacked team and not do better in those two metrics? Please give me another example of a player who controlled the game so much but just got unlucky with offensive production.

Let’s see...

Team finishes:

Lidstrom 6, 10, 8, 8, 6, 4, 2, 6, 3, 2, 4, 4, 9, 4, 3, 3, 5, 3, 2, 8.

Harvey 14, 9, 8, 5, 10, 5, 5, 6, 6, 5, 8, 16, 13, 7, 6, 4, 21, 12.

Bourque 4, 5, 4, 5, 3, 1, 3, 1, 1, 5, 2, 1, 1, 3, 2, 2, 2, 4, 3, 3, 2 (?), 6.

Adjusted Points - best to worst:

Lidstrom 79, 77, 76, 75, 69, 67, 67, 67, 65, 64, 63, 61, 59, 53, 52, 51, 45, 44, 37, 33.

Harvey 68, 63, 59, 52, 48, 48, 42, 41, 41, 36, 33, 31, 30, 26, 22, 22, 4, 2, 0.

Bourque 84, 82, 80, 79, 76, 75, 72, 70, 69, 67, 66, 64, 64, 61, 59, 56, 55, 55, 52, 50, 48, 42.

It clearly goes Bourque, Lidstrom, Harvey.

The historians told you Harvey was the glue and just as good as Beliveau, so that’s good enough, no need to nitpick him, right? I know that is what’s going on, I noticed a long time ago. All the top defenseman were the glue for their teams. That’s what a two-way elite defender who plays half the game and plays in every situation does. They could all defend and transition the puck amazingly. You’re trying so hard to pretend Harvey and Lidstrom were different. I have news for you, they’re extremely similar. By the late 90s Yzerman literally stated that Lidstrom was the MVP of the team, then he won the CS on one of the most stacked teams in recent memory. Then he continued being their elite rock on the backend until 2011 doing it with a different core. Yzerman and Fedorov were gone, so now Zetterberg and Datsyuk were better than the best D in the world, too? Your separation of Harvey and Lidstrom importance is not reality whatsoever, you just want it to be true.

You want to add context? As a defenseman would it be better to be competing with 6 teams worth of forwards and other D for a high place in league scoring, whether it be points or assists, or a 21 to 30 team league? Now also add being on the powerhouse team in that 6 team league when 2 or 3 of the other teams are far weaker. Can you see he difference?

Lidstrom completely dominated Norris voting in ‘08 with 127 of a possible 134 votes and I don’t even think the votes he didn’t get were justified (for example, Campbell got a 1st place vote from some drunk voter). “Double Dion” Phaneuf was hyped as the next Stevens and scored 60 points so he fooled some people so he finished 2nd and had 2 first place votes but that season also had prime Pronger, who was coming off his Cup and only missed 10 games, prime Chara, and Gonchar with 65 points. Also 24 year old Keith, who obviously had to wait for Lidstrom to get old before he could contend (that’s how it works, right?). Harvey dominating Pronovost, Gadsby, Flaman, etc. is not as impressive. There were only 6 teams so usually by default the top defenseman on each team got votes, plus Harvey’s teammate Johnson, who won it during Harvey’s injury plagued year. Talk about Bourque’s competition all you want but Harvey’s was far weaker than Lidstrom’s.

I mean their styles closely resembled each other. Neither was tall, but both were strong and wide. You have to remember too, Harvey was a defenseman, and it isn't exactly easy to finish ahead of Beliveau, Richard, Geoffrion and Moore in the scoring race. Harvey stood out on a stronger team. Lidstrom stood out LESS on a bit of a weaker team. Bourque was generally always the best player on his team because Boston was good, but not generally great.

It isn't like these guys are all miles apart but if I am starting my team I flip a coin between Bourque and Harvey and Lidstrom is definitely third.

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
I mean their styles closely resembled each other. Neither was tall, but both were strong and wide. You have to remember too, Harvey was a defenseman, and it isn't exactly easy to finish ahead of Beliveau, Richard, Geoffrion and Moore in the scoring race. Harvey stood out on a stronger team. Lidstrom stood out LESS on a bit of a weaker team. Bourque was generally always the best player on his team because Boston was good, but not generally great.

It isn't like these guys are all miles apart but if I am starting my team I flip a coin between Bourque and Harvey and Lidstrom is definitely third.

I’m not following you here either. On H-R, Harvey is listed as 5-11, 187, while Bourque is 5-11, 219, and Lidstrom is 6-1, 192. Bourque always looked a little shorter than that to me and Lidstrom a little taller. Harvey is difficult to tell because of the different equipment but I never thought of him as stocky like Bourque. Nothing about him looks stocky and the scale didn’t seem to think so either. Bourque was kind of all over the ice, but obviously not to the extent of Orr, he took tons of shots, and often took charge of the offense for his team. That wasn’t Harvey so what about their styles were even similar? How is Lidstrom the odd man out in terms of style, other than physicality? Harvey’s shot totals were very low, and, again, he simply didn’t take part in nearly as much offense as Bourque.

Was it supposed to be easy for Lidstrom to finish ahead of Yzerman, Fedorov, and Shanahan in scoring, plus all the other HOF forwards who came and went over the years? As I’ve clearly shown he did have better scoring finishes on his team than Harvey. Quite a lot better actually. Harvey’s best was 4th during his second year with the Rangers. That team wasn’t stacked like the Habs, and it wasn’t his first year their either when he finished 6th, with him getting 30 points while Bathgate lead the team with 84. Maybe he just didn’t have as much of an offensive impact as people would like to believe. I still don’t know how Harvey stood out more on his team considering his offensive contributions were clearly less. It’s something you keep repeating with no rhyme or reason.

You’re the one who told me we have to nitpick the top guys. Where is that for Harvey? You just excuse everything about him and listen to what some other people have said - that’s far from nitpicking. It’s par for the course on this board though. There were seriously glowing things said about Lidstrom as well but that’s not taken as seriously. Bowman used the word “perfect” when asked about him as they celebrated the ‘02 Cup. Can I just run with that then and disregard all the usual metrics used? Bourque and Harvey weren’t perfect.

I still don’t know why you have Lidstrom third. Do you even know?

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
Consider height and weight relative to era. 1950s big is today's low average.

That's not the point, Harvey wasn't small for that era and his size would be fine in any era. He simply wasn't stocky, which was Phil's claim. Currently I am exactly the same size as he was and no one would ever call me stocky. Bourque was stocky, Harvey and Lidstrom weren't.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I find Harvey and Lidstrom more comparable, for a variety of reasons, than basically any other upper end defencemen in hockey history. Both are outside my top ten though. Bourque is more like the defenceman version of Howe but without Howe's peak. I have Bourque in my top ten.

Reactions: Nick Hansen

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
I find Harvey and Lidstrom more comparable, for a variety of reasons, than basically any other upper end defencemen in hockey history. Both are outside my top ten though. Bourque is more like the defenceman version of Howe but without Howe's peak. I have Bourque in my top ten.

This makes far more sense to me. I'm really not trying to slight Harvey because he was clearly an all-time great but it doesn't makes sense to only have him in there over both Bourque and Lidstrom. I don't see how anyone can have Bourque in between the other two. Either you have him above both, or below both because they are too similar. Bourque is a lot different than them in so many ways.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010

I agree Bourque didn't have Howe's peak regardless, but I've been curious about Bourque's own peak for a while and my curiosity was not satisfied.Just how great was he in the 5 year stretch between 86-87 and 90-91? His star power? It does coincide with Gretzky, Lemieux and Messier at or near the top of their powers, so he had big shadows hiding his light.

You can extend that to 93-94.

Reactions: quoipourquoi

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
1. Gretzky
2. Orr
3. Lemieux
4. Howe
5. Hasek
6. Crosby
7. Beliveau
8. Bourque
9. Jagr
10. Hull

HM: Ovechkin, Roy, Morenz, Rocket, Shore

Obviously it's very tough after 4. It's a cluster all the way to 16 or something.

Last edited:
Reactions: Orange Dragon

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
This makes far more sense to me. I'm really not trying to slight Harvey because he was clearly an all-time great but it doesn't makes sense to only have him in there over both Bourque and Lidstrom. I don't see how anyone can have Bourque in between the other two. Either you have him above both, or below both because they are too similar. Bourque is a lot different than them in so many ways.

Yes I can't really imagine putting Bourque in between Lidstrom and Harvey. I have Lidstrom and Harvey tethered together in terms of ranking and probably always will.

I agree Bourque didn't have Howe's peak regardless, but I've been curious about Bourque's own peak for a while and my curiosity was not satisfied.Just how great was he in the 5 year stretch between 86-87 and 90-91? His star power? It does coincide with Gretzky, Lemieux and Messier at or near the top of their powers, so he had big shadows hiding his light.

You can extend that to 93-94.

It's hard to say with regard to star power. I think that Bourque was in the group below Gretzky and Lemieux along with Messier, Yzerman and Hull, at least from an Eastern Canadian perspective. For peak I think that Bourque is up there with any defenceman outside of Orr obviously and probably Potvin. Not many defencemen have carried (shout-out to Neely in 1990) a team to the Stanley Cup final twice in a three year span.

Reactions: quoipourquoi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad