Give us NHL on the Switch.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I've got a decent PC, PS4 and a Switch, and honestly I find myself playing the switch most of the time. My dream would be to have NHL on it, it has two versions of FIFA now, so I think it's a possibility if the console sales keep soaring like they are.

I'm not sure if it could handle the new build, but hell, give me NHL 14 with new rosters and Las Vegas and I'd buy that in a second.

Portable NHL? So down.

Dezmoto

May 3, 2013
Los Angeles
I know, it's great to be able to just kick back on the sofa and play games while someone else is using the TV. The last EA portable NHL game was NHL 07! I know NHL is a much smaller audience than FIFA, but it would be great if they'd do something for us here. Hell, I'd even take arcady 3-on-3 at this point.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I know, it's great to be able to just kick back on the sofa and play games while someone else is using the TV. The last EA portable NHL game was NHL 07! I know NHL is a much smaller audience than FIFA, but it would be great if they'd do something for us here. Hell, I'd even take arcady 3-on-3 at this point.
The Switch needs a hockey game badly, apparently Mutant Football League is coming, I'd take an NHL Hitz or that Old Time Hockey game too. Everyone loves hockey games.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

GrnEggsNHam

Mar 10, 2015
The Switch needs a hockey game badly, apparently Mutant Football League is coming, I'd take an NHL Hitz or that Old Time Hockey game too. Everyone loves hockey games.
Other studios are hamstrung because EA signed a contract with the NHLPA similar to what they did to shutdown NFL 2K. This means 2K cannot use professional athletes likeness in their games basically making them pointless(They still had a football game developed and released it anyways changing all the names, All-Star Football 2K8.) because that's what people care about. I still bought the All-Star Football game and it was years ahead of Madden and that was back on the Sega Dreamcast... I haven't bought Madden since that court battle(it sucks because EVERYONE plays Madden) with the NFL players association and I probably never will. If there was any other option on the market for an NHL game I'd be all over it and EA could kiss my ass.

P.S. I also stopped buying their soccer games and have been a Football Manager(mobile) for a few years. In the past I would've purchased a $60 Fifa game... EA will take notice, eventually because the process began a few years ago when they went to next gen. When they didn't upgrade to Frostbite engine then people stopped buying the game and the competitive players played on the old version. EA analysts are paid well and definitely reported this data. However, the card game gimmick was running a muck and they latched onto it and never let go. It's now the basis for the entire game, at least in the eyes of EA. If HUT doesn't make money then there is no way NHL XX will make money is how they see it.

Last edited:
Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Dezmoto

May 3, 2013
Los Angeles
I find HUT boring and kind of tedious, so I don't really play it but EA sure seems to put a lot of emphasis on it. PES generally is a better playing game than FIFA though it doesn't looks as polished, same goes for NBA 2k. NBA 2k has such horrible, horrible, "TV presentation" that I wish they'd just left it out but that actually game play is much better than Live, NBA Live is pretty weak, gameplay wise. It looks like they put all their focus into the presentation and gameplay is an afterthought.

It seems like without any real competition, EA is happy to sit on it's laurels and just give their franchises a spit-shine and a roster update every year, since they know everyone will go out and buy it anyway.

I would love a hockey game on the Switch, but it doesn't really seem like EA has any interest in making one and since they have an exclusive deal with the NHLPA, I doubt anyone else will bother either.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Are we sure that's the case? 2K released a mobile game that included all NHL teams and players in 2014.
It's the first I'd heard of it so I'm not sure it is.

I just think after the last gen with the skill stick and how good the NHL games got, 2k gave up on it for the most part. But this gen EA seems to be resting on their laurels so there is room for more competition.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008

I just think after the last gen with the skill stick and how good the NHL games got, 2k gave up on it for the most part. But this gen EA seems to be resting on their laurels so there is room for more competition.

Microtransactions are absolutely hurting this game, making HUT and such more of a focus.

However looking at the mess that NBA2k18 is, I'm not sure 2K is much different.

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Microtransactions are absolutely hurting this game, making HUT and such more of a focus.

However looking at the mess that NBA2k18 is, I'm not sure 2K is much different.
Oh yeah, I only play HUT for like a week or two then I get bored of it. I never paid for any of it but others will. So the rest of us pay for that in other ways.

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
Yeah never heard about the license thing with 2k. Any source?

An NHL 2k game would be so perfect for the switch. I travel 30 minutes each way to work each way, so perfect time for 2 quick games :)

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008

An NHL 2k game would be so perfect for the switch. I travel 30 minutes each way to work each way, so perfect time for 2 quick games :)

NHL 07 on a PSP emulator on your phone. Pretty solid game and fun to play a dynasty with all the older players.

GrnEggsNHam

Mar 10, 2015

Details of these agreements are not required to be made public. EA sports has a licensing contract with the NHLPA otherwise none of the players likeness could be used. That's the only for sure thing here, however all the data points to something else hindering potential publishers from entering the market. The NHLPA could have some internal arrangement that only allows one licensing agreement to be active at one time. We'll never know and you'd have to be a player part of the NHLPA to request further information. Even then I don't know if they're required to give it to you. It was mentioned in another thread that the NHLPA agreement doesn't allow for players to be rated below a certain OVR. We can't confirm that via legal documentation, but go look in game and I think you'll find it to be a true statement.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Oh yeah, I only play HUT for like a week or two then I get bored of it. I never paid for any of it but others will. So the rest of us pay for that in other ways.

The thing is, although HUT makes them a ton of money, EA introduced tons of ways you can build an extremely competitive team while not spending any money.

The HC/CS system gives you packs every week just for playing a few games online. They gave out a free 99 Dahlin, free TOTY card, free Christmas legend, free 97 St Louis.

trckrdr

Jan 31, 2013

I haven't played an EA NHL game since 13, so things might have improved since then. But I liked 2K10's pro stick bettwe. It just feels a little more responsive. That, and 2K introduced it on the defensive end years before EA.

Honestly, I think there were two main things that killed 2K. Ever since NHL 94, EA had the name recognition as the publisher for NHL games. EA also had the better out-of-the-box experience. Their games were usually more polished and didn't require you to mess around with sliders. That said, I think 2K10 with the proper sliders plays almost perfectly.

GrnEggsNHam

Mar 10, 2015
Since NHL 14 on ps3 is better then any nhl game on ps4 i would gladly buy it with a roster update and vegas.
Yup, this was the best true iteration of the game. I believe the Legacy edition is basically this exact game with updated rosters for 2015-2016.

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
Yup, this was the best true iteration of the game. I believe the Legacy edition is basically this exact game with updated rosters for 2015-2016.

Legacy is actually the best version as it fixed minor bugs from 14 (bouncing puck, monster hits, etc.).

Not worth 60 bucks over 14 but definetly the best game.

Reactions: GrnEggsNHam

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
The thing is, although HUT makes them a ton of money, EA introduced tons of ways you can build an extremely competitive team while not spending any money.

The HC/CS system gives you packs every week just for playing a few games online. They gave out a free 99 Dahlin, free TOTY card, free Christmas legend, free 97 St Louis.
yeah you can build a good team without spending any money, but too many people do so thats their cash cow. FIFA's mode makes the most for them out of them all.

Personally I'm a big Be a GM guy, I like the control and ability to play with the sliders which is lacking in HUT. Used to be big into EASHL when the mode first came out, it really was revolutionary, but these days I just don't care about playing with glitchers. Remember the curve goal from 09? Then people could start paying for booster packs so youd have these little fast guys skating all over the ice, at that point I kind of stopped playing that mode.

Shit, at this point they could put NHL 94 on switch and I'd buy it. :laugh:

Imagine this; a revamped 94 with dynasty mode, EASHL, trades, fighting, create a player and teams, updated rosters and teams, and new skins (for those who don't want to play with 16-bit graphics.)

It would be their best NHL in years :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: OddyOh

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Legacy is actually the best version as it fixed minor bugs from 14 (bouncing puck, monster hits, etc.).

Not worth 60 bucks over 14 but definetly the best game.
I found it to be too easy, where 14 had a better balance vs. the AI. Just my experience though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad