Post-Game Talk: Give Benning and Scouts a 2017 Draft Grade (Mod warning post #164)

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
I know I'm late to the party but still want to throw in my 2c.

Love the Pettersson pick...we need top line talent and outside of Nico/Nolan,EP is the best bet in this draft.

Kole Lind: would have wanted JAD here if we went D at #5 but I'm good with this pick.Fills a need for a fast,all around winger with some jam.

Jonan the ManChild: great pick,really adds a much needed dimension to our forward prospect pool.This is what can happen when you have extra picks in the early rounds rather than wasting them on waiver wire level players.

Michael DiPietro: not usually a fan of picking goalies,especially when we have limited picks,but the freebee CLB pick allowed us to stockpile some extra forwards and take a swing at getting a top goalie prospect in the middle rounds.I really like MD as a player,perfect temperment for a goalie and a proven winner.

Jack Rathbone: unlike some,I'm on board with this pick.He's the modern day fast skating PMD that teams all covet and could be a great value pick down the road if he pans out.Definitely a long term project but lots of upside for a 4th rounder in a weak draft year.

Kristoffer Gunnarsson: definitely drafting for positional need here and questionable to say if he's the best choice available.Getting the nod for the WJC is a plus and he's proven himself playing against men so there's that but he's the type of guy you might take in the 7th round.

Petrus Palmu: this is the kind of pick to take in the later rounds,lots of proven upside and brings plenty of excitement and intrigue into the mix.Can't wait to see how he does at the next level.

Matt Brassard: real long shot and far behind on his development curve but probably worth a shot as a 7th rounder to see what he can become as he gets more playing time in a more prominent role.Could eventually develop into a Garrison type player.

I gave the draft an A although a big part of it was lucking into the extra 2nd rounder and drafting Gadjovich with it.This would be a much thinner looking draft without that and probably a B or B+.
It really would have been nice to extract that extra pick from LV,probably would be the second easiest 2nd round pick we ever got but at least we got Pettersson who I really liked.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Yes, too bad Jimbo couldn't have extracted that extra second from Vegas for passing on Glass....but loose lips sink ships, and I guess McPhee somehow got word that the Canucks were passing on him anyway to take Pettersson.....with three seconds, the draft would have been an A-plus....as it is an A-minus.....but definitely Jimbo's best draft yet.

digger18

Feb 23, 2009
Williams Lake B.C.
Pettersson is the living definition of boom/bust. He's either going to become a star or won't be able to handle the physicality of the NHL.

IE Jordan Schroeder. I would have taken Rasmussen. If he doesn't pan out as a scorer, at least you have a serviceable bottom six guy like Brian Boyle, who has proven valuable in the playoffs during the grind of hockey with actual hitting.

The Canucks are out in front by four laps right now when it comes to having the softest roster in the history of the NHL. Our current crop of prospects only compounds that issue further!

vcanuck

Feb 7, 2011
IE Jordan Schroeder. I would have taken Rasmussen. If he doesn't pan out as a scorer, at least you have a serviceable bottom six guy like Brian Boyle, who has proven valuable in the playoffs during the grind of hockey with actual hitting.

The Canucks are out in front by four laps right now when it comes to having the softest roster in the history of the NHL. Our current crop of prospects only compounds that issue further!

LMAO!! of course you would. if JB traded down and drafted Rasmussen he would be ripped to shreds here. and i cant believe youre comparing Schroeder to Petterson.

yet the Canuck fans on here want to get rid of Gudbranson :laugh:

Last edited:

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus

Don't know about NHL history but there is some truth to it. It's an old problem going as far back as Nonis. A club's rep is made by its front line players. Since Bertuzzi left... It's not like the current regime hasn't tried: Virtanen, Gudbranson, Tryamkin, Sbisa, Dorsett, and now Gadjovich. Goes to show how much roster make up is a function of what's available, whether trades or draft, and just plain luck, no matter how much meat & potatoes guide your intentions.

Rasmussen would have been a howler. There were at least 5 better centres available. Not sure what's come over Detroit. Nuck hfboards would never have survived that pick.

Our future core (Bo, Pettersson, OJ, Boeser) looks to have sufficient size once they all mature. As for the half a dozen plus good prospects I'll think it a blessing if 1/3 of them become significant pieces. Who's to say Virtanen, Gadjovich or the long shot Gunnarsson can't be the ones. Fighting is going the way of the dodo so stick work, hard hitting and harsh language will be all that's left. :shakehead

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Don't know about NHL history but there is some truth to it. It's an old problem going as far back as Nonis. A club's rep is made by its front line players. Since Bertuzzi left... It's not like the current regime hasn't tried: Virtanen, Gudbranson, Tryamkin, Sbisa, Dorsett, and now Gadjovich. Goes to show how much roster make up is a function of what's available, whether trades or draft, and just plain luck, no matter how much meat & potatoes guide your intentions.

Rasmussen would have been a howler. There were at least 5 better centres available. Not sure what's come over Detroit. Nuck hfboards would never have survived that pick.

Our future core (Bo, Pettersson, OJ, Boeser) looks to have sufficient size once they all mature. As for the half a dozen plus good prospects I'll think it a blessing if 1/3 of them become significant pieces. Who's to say Virtanen, Gadjovich or the long shot Gunnarsson can't be the ones. Fighting is going the way of the dodo so stick work, hard hitting and harsh language will be all that's left. :shakehead

Size is getting less emphasized.

As benning said at the draft: Skill and speed, skill and speed.

That's what matters post 2017.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
Size is getting less emphasized.

As benning said at the draft: Skill and speed, skill and speed.

That's what matters post 2017.

Detroit most not have gotten that memo. Their guys must be averaging over 6'2" in the last 5 drafts or so. It's like they think this race to grab smurfs a phase and are arming for the next iteration of the eternal cycle of speed & skill v size.

It's great that more small & skilled guys are getting drafted but if the NHL continues to have one set of rules for the regular season and another for playoffs it won't much matter.

I like what we did this year. Skill was added but not at the expense of a balanced lineup.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
LMAO!! of course you would. if JB traded down and drafted Rasmussen he would be ripped to shreds here. and i cant believe youre comparing Schroeder to Petterson.

yet the Canuck fans on here want to get rid of Gudbranson :laugh:

The classic lol @ what person A says completely contradicts with what persons B, C, D, E, F, and G said.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Detroit most not have gotten that memo. Their guys must be averaging over 6'2" in the last 5 drafts or so. It's like they think this race to grab smurfs a phase and are arming for the next iteration of the eternal cycle of speed & skill v size.

It's great that more small & skilled guys are getting drafted but if the NHL continues to have one set of rules for the regular season and another for playoffs it won't much matter.

I like what we did this year. Skill was added but not at the expense of a balanced lineup.

Common side-blotched lizard

1. SNAGs, one lady lizard guys. They know a lady when they see one.

when they start to dominant along come

2. Macho males, these lizard's pump weights, love mirrors and kick sand in the SNAGs faces and take their girls. All of them, tanned toned and with a posse of girls.

when they start to dominate

3. Crossdressers make their move. They don the drag and makeup, flash their fake eyelashes at the Macho who's to busy pumping weights in front of his mirror to notice the Adam's apple. Slips in to harem and wink wink nudge nudge.

4. SNAGs aren't fooled. Got to step1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_side-blotched_lizard

Last edited:

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
:laugh: sadly I wouldn't be surprised if that was almost accurate.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
Common side-blotched lizard

1. SNAGs, one lady lizard guys. They know a lady when they see one.

when they start to dominant along come

2. Macho males, these lizard's pump weights, love mirrors and kick sand in the SNAGs faces and take their girls. All of them, tanned toned and with a posse of girls.

3. Crossdressers make their move. They don the drag and makeup, flash their fake eyelashes at the Macho who's to busy pumping weights in front of his mirror to notice the Adam's apple. Slips in to harem and wink wink nudge nudge.

4. SNAGs aren't fooled. Got to step1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_side-blotched_lizard

I like it. Very Taoist like with an extra variable for even more fun.

Probably too many honest, hard working but not getting ahead types wearing our (blue) colors over the years. Need brutes and sneakes to cope with law of the jungle and to bring the unexpected. :nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad