Post-Game Talk: Give Benning and Scouts a 2017 Draft Grade (Mod warning post #164)

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Whats your evaluation grade for Benning and.Co in the 2017 draft ?

Heres our choices. ( update to come)

5. Pettersson
33. Lind
55. Gadjovich
64. Dipietro
95. Jack Rathbone
135 . Gunnarsson
181. Palmu
188 brassard

Whats your choice ? Obvioisly only pick players that would be available for that position if you were to make a change.

I personally give this draft an A- our forward prospect cupboard has significantly improved w. More skills. Its also nice to have another elite goalie prospect aside from Demko.

Last edited:

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Looks pretty damn good so far, minus the goalie.

It will be very interesting to see what the announced scouting changes are in the coming weeks (if that indeed comes to fruition.)

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Hard to say so far since on draft day most picks look very good. From my understanding we've been sticking close to BPA (which is good). Overall I've been happy with our selections.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
looks good. Wanted Vilardi and Glass over Petterson but i'm alright there. minor deduction for missing multiple picks over Larsen and Etem.

For now i'll give in an Incomplete :sarcasm:

We'll see how it ages.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
On paper as of now?

A.

A- if they lost out on the chance of a free 2nd round pick for not keeping their mouths shut.

Roy Baby*

Sep 28, 2015
Phoenix,AZ
A. Every single player I liked got chosen.

Also, the balls to take Pettersson is absolutely legendary. Would've taken him at 1

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Can u elaborate

Report from Botchford (or Sekeres) I believe that suggested Vegas was really close to trading up from 6 to 5 to make sure they get Glass since they thought we were considering him, (the deal supposedly was 6th + one of their 2nds), but somehow they found that the Canucks were crazy about Pettersson and dropped the offer.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Obviously time is the missing ingredient here but at the present time I'd give it an A based on:

1. No obviously bad picks or reaches. Pettersson wasn't my favorite option but there's a strong case for picking him there. Lind was near the top of the guys available at 33, Gadjovich is seems to be good value at 55, and Dipietro is a good gamble at 64. Can't complain about any of them really.

2. Just HAVING some ****ing picks in the second round is a major win in itself!! Jesus, hopefully the days of throwing them away on junk players is done and we can begin piling up some high 2nds to keep building up our talent pipeline.

This has definitely been my favourite draft of the 4 Benning has overseen. Still hate a lot of what he has done but this draft goes on the "good" pile for me.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Don't have a bad word to say about this years draft class.
Wish they took the Vegas trade for the pick; Who knows what actually happened with that.

Still: Happy = Me.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I told you guys all along that Benning was the goods.

Absolutely great draft so far that looks extremely promising.

A-

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Report from Botchford (or Sekeres) I believe that suggested Vegas was really close to trading up from 6 to 5 to make sure they get Glass since they thought we were considering him, (the deal supposedly was 6th + one of their 2nds), but somehow they found that the Canucks were crazy about Pettersson and dropped the offer.

This is highly spevulative . I can only grade these guys based on the proof thats in the pudding

Dissonance

Feb 27, 2002
Cabbage Patch
Visit site
Who knows what actually happened with Vegas but in general I'm fine not trading down if they were super high on Petterson. An extra second round pick is nice but it's definitely not worth the risk (however small) of losing out on the blue-chip guy you really want.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver

What is more likely is that there was a tentative deal with Vegas, but when it became clear that Glass, Vilardi, Mittlestadt and Pettersson were all available, Vegas was willing to take the chance that Glass would be available and if not were content with another option (Vilardi, Pettersson or Mittlestadt).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad