News Article: Giroux Predicts Flyers Will Make Playoffs

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Saw this on ESPN...not sure if I'm with him.

The Philadelphia Flyers are off to the worst start in franchise history and have failed to score more than two goals in a game this season.

But Claude Giroux still thinks that the last-place Flyers can make the playoffs.

"We're not far off at all," Giroux, the Flyers' 25-year-old captain, said after Monday's practice, according to the Philadelphia Daily News. "How many points are we out, six? To think of the start that we had and we're that close.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/9861706/claude-giroux-predicts-philadelphia-flyers-make-playoffs

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Not once in that article is he quoted about how the Flyers "will make the playoffs".

And it's true, for how bad they have been so far this year, the Metro has been awful.

edit: just saw a quote attributed to him that states the Flyers will make the playoffs. lol...

Last edited:

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Everything he said is pretty accurate. For all the *****ing and moaning about the poor start, they're still very much in the running should they pick up their game.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Honestly with the rangers being a non factor this division is really wide open. I do think the Hurricanes and Pittsburgh will be there at the end but that 3rd slot ( and there will only be 3 teams getting in from the MET) is open. I think we are better than the islanders and the rest of the teams out there.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
funny how everyone is saying that they are out of it...after 8 games....and can't make up 6 points over 74 games. Hell...we made that up over 6-7 games last year to end our sesaon.....unfortunately.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
Pretty bold with how this team has been playing. Sure, there's time left and the rest of the division is bad, but the Flyers are in complete disarray. It's time to turn their play around, not think about the playoffs.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
This division is really bad so that should help things but we are still by far the worst looking team in the division right now so it would take a turnaround.

Honestly with the rangers being a non factor this division is really wide open. I do think the Hurricanes and Pittsburgh will be there at the end but that 3rd slot ( and there will only be 3 teams getting in from the MET) is open. I think we are better than the islanders and the rest of the teams out there.

Wouldn't call the Rangers a non factor. They're just as bad as most of the bad in the division. Carolina too.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Since G is into prognostications of late....wonder if he can predict when Holmgren and Snider are gone and the Flyers win a Stanley Cup? Inquiring minds want to know...:sarcasm:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
This division is really bad so that should help things but we are still by far the worst looking team in the division right now so it would take a turnaround.

Wouldn't call the Rangers a non factor. They're just as bad as most of the bad in the division. Carolina too.

The Rangers are a mess; their recent trades nuked team chemistry and a team built for Tortorella is going to struggle under AV. For all the hell Homer is catching on the main boards, Sather has definitely been worse. Right now my instinct is that the Flyers are more likely to make POs than NYR.

Carolina always fails my expectations. I look at their roster every year and think this is the season they put it together, and then it never happens. Of course, losing Pitkanen is a blow for them. I don't think I can name any of their D off the top of my head.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Ward has to stay healthy for Carolina to stay in contention. Without him, they're a bottom five team in the NHL. They have some good pieces, but they rarely put it all together.

Yukon Cornelius*

I'll have what he's smoking.

Although I must admit, the Dumb and Dumber 'scooter scene is cued up and at the ready.

Flyerss

Jun 23, 2013
MI 5 : scoring more than 2goals.

Director: Craig Berube
Writers: Paul Holmgren , Ed Snider
Stars: Claude Giroux, Scott Hartnell,Jakub Voracek,Kimmo Timonen

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Weird timing to feed the media with that kind of bold statement.

I wish he would have scored a couple of goals or at least them taking down the Rags before he says things like that... he clearly isn't realizing how everything he does on and off the rink is under a magnifying glass since he is wearing the C.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The Rangers are a mess; their recent trades nuked team chemistry and a team built for Tortorella is going to struggle under AV. For all the hell Homer is catching on the main boards, Sather has definitely been worse. Right now my instinct is that the Flyers are more likely to make POs than NYR.

Carolina always fails my expectations. I look at their roster every year and think this is the season they put it together, and then it never happens. Of course, losing Pitkanen is a blow for them. I don't think I can name any of their D off the top of my head.

The signed Hainsey who, according to Meltzer on the last Flyers Buzz podcast, would have been a better player for the Flyers than Streit because he's a lot more mobile, even if his offensive skills aren't as good.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey

I wish he would have scored a couple of goals or at least them taking down the Rags before he says things like that... he clearly isn't realizing how everything he does on and off the rink is under a magnifying glass since he is wearing the C.

Couldn't agree more. I think this team needs to stay out of the media limelight until they earn it with a winning streak. They're already embarrassing themselves on the ice, why open their mouths and pile on themselves?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Maybe it is him trying to take all the pressure off the other guys and get them to believe too. I miss the playoff Giroux that smoked Sid right off the faceoff then later scored. :(

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
The Flyers have a cake schedule over the next few weeks. I stopped looking after 13 games but in that 13 game stretch they play 3 games against teams with winning records (Ducks, Pens, Canes) if you consider the Canes 4-2-3 records a "winning" record. On the other hand, pretty much every game they have played so far this season has been against teams with winning records.

I understand the Flyers suck right now too and they ARE the "cake" on other teams schedules but if they are ever going to string together some wins and get their confidence back this is as good of an opportunity as they're going to get. Even if they slowly start getting into a groove and go something like 8-5, that at least gets them back into the hunt at 9-12 at the quarter pole.

I'm just trying to stay optimistic. They havent shown anything that makes me think they're going to turn this ship around as of yet but if anything is to their advantage it's the fact that they got some time off the regroup and an easy schedule to start padding some wins. If they continue to struggle over the next 12-13 games, I'll write them off for the season.

JustJim

Feb 20, 2012
Paignton,UK
He said they'd have to take it one game at a time, and by chalking up some wins they could make the playoffs.
My only question is this, will he still be on the team?
Given Holmgren trading history, it wouldn't surprise me if Giroux were dealt.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
He said they'd have to take it one game at a time, and by chalking up some wins they could make the playoffs.
My only question is this, will he still be on the team?
Given Holmgren trading history, it wouldn't surprise me if Giroux were dealt.

That's ridiculous, Giroux isn't going to be dealt. Richards and Carter were dealt to make room for Giroux and a goalie, and to let Pronger take the reins as Captain. We don't have any up-and-comers to replace Giroux as our 1C or our C, nor do we need a goalie right now. Giroux isn't going to be dealt.

SgtJoseph*

Its not how you start, its how you finish ! Hoping for our club to get it going and finishing strong come playoff time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad