Giroux/Panthers Continuous GDT

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
It was reported by ASF at the time of the trade.

Apparently Giroux wanted to go to Florida but was willing to open his NT list to include other teams to help out the Flyers, so long as Fletcher was willing to guarantee that he'd bring Giroux back to the Flyers next season. Fletcher said no.
Share a link. I have a tough time believing that

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Share a link. I have a tough time believing that
It’s at 10:30 of this godawful podcast that these three braindead assholes run.

All three of them are unbearably stupid, but ASF is someone who gets super butthurt when people question and doubt his reporting (as you can hear at the start of the podcast), so, even if the information is wrong, I can at least believe that he believes it’s true, otherwise he’d be too scared to say it.

We’ll never know the truth but it’s very believable. Chuck is indisputably that stupid.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
It’s at 10:30 of this godawful podcast that these three braindead assholes run.

All three of them are unbearably stupid, but ASF is someone who gets super butthurt when people question and doubt his reporting (as you can hear at the start of the podcast), so, even if the information is wrong, I can at least believe that he believes it’s true, otherwise he’d be too scared to say it.

We’ll never know the truth but it’s very believable. Chuck is indisputably that stupid.

Whether it's true or not, Giroux using his NTC to dictate where he goes is in no way "screwing over the Flyers." He earned that clause and the right to use it

Now if he would have pulled what Tavares did to the Isles...then that's a different story

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Whether it's true or not, Giroux using his NTC to dictate where he goes is in no way "screwing over the Flyers." He earned that clause and the right to use it

Now if he would have pulled what Tavares did to the Isles...then that's a different story
1000%

They made themselves look like massive idiots by whining about how he handled the situation, which literally couldn’t have been handled better from his side. He did literally nothing wrong and made it clear he didn’t want to leave to start with.

This is 100% on Fletcher, whether that report is true or not. At the bare minimum it’s that pathetic c***s fault he had to trade away Giroux at all because he destroyed the roster and made sure we wouldn’t be a playoff team.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
ASF has zero credibility. Geez.

Giroux had a right to insist on Florida, but it is Karma that he did so and cost himself a shot at the Cup.
I don't blame him, but I'm amused by how things turned out.

Colorado wasn't giving up Byram or Newhook, the deal would have been a 2022 1st, Compher (for cap reasons), and Olausson/Barron/Behrens or some combination of one of them and a "C" prospect or another pick.
Barron and a 2024 2nd got them Lehkonen.
Helleson and a 2023 2nd got them Manson

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Fire Fletcher

Attachments

• 5CCE8146-FE3C-451A-91B2-3267C969A90C.jpeg
    5CCE8146-FE3C-451A-91B2-3267C969A90C.jpeg
    132.5 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
It’s been a rough couple of seasons where just about all that could go wrong did. No one can blame the fan base for being upset with the situation. However things are never as good or as bad as they seem. There is no reason that with a competent new HC and staff that properly assesses the current talent to utilize its skills and protect it from its weaknesses that the Flyers can’t play competent hockey for sixty minutes.
This is where I am with this bunch. Next season, not to be an embarrassment on skates; after that make the POs and four years from now compete for the Cup. Build and develop the roster while weeding out the stiffs. Asset management will matter.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
It’s been a rough couple of seasons where just about all that could go wrong did. No one can blame the fan base for being upset with the situation. However things are never as good or as bad as they seem. There is no reason that with a competent new HC and staff that properly assesses the current talent to utilize its skills and protect it from its weaknesses that the Flyers can’t play competent hockey for sixty minutes.
This is where I am with this bunch. Next season, not to be an embarrassment on skates; after that make the POs and four years from now compete for the Cup. Build and develop the roster while weeding out the stiffs. Asset management will matter.
Oh boy....

This world is dark and full of evil things. And the flyers are in the inner circle of evil! Stop getting your hope up. Its just more pain......

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
There is no reason that with a competent new HC and staff that properly assesses the current talent to utilize its skills and protect it from its weaknesses that the Flyers can’t play competent hockey for sixty minutes.
There is also no reason to expect a competent new HC and staff capable of properly assessing the current talent, given what we know of the people charged with hiring that new HC and staff.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Pet Charles

Oct 10, 2017
In regard to the discussion of what their near-future looks like, I do think this will undoubtedly be a better team next year. They’ll have Coots back and unless the gypsy really REALLY means to stick it to the organization, Ellis. They’ll have a new coach(es) who can’t possibly be poorer than what they were getting this year (sorry, Mike). There’s simply too many decent players on the roster for them to be in the bottom five*. (*Note that I didn’t write “compete for a Cup”; I’m optimistic at times, not insane.)

What worries me is Fletcher - and his bosses. The set of transactions that are emblematic of these concerns involve Ristolainen. He always had poor possession numbers relative to his teammates, and his traditional statistics have one of the strangest productivity curves. Most players peak at 27; he seems to have peaked at 21. His shot totals (cherry-picked metric) have declined since then and are about half what they were in 2015. What happened? Who knows, but no matter. For Fletcher, the warning signs were there: this guy was a reclamation project. Instead of seeing what was obvious to anyone with working eyes, our GM’s idea was to spend the 14th overall pick, a second still owed, and Hagg - who is RR w/o the salary and term commitment. A fool and his money are always so easy to separate. But wait, there’s more! In order to fit him, we traded the enigmatic Ghost along with carrying costs of this year’s mid-30s overall pick (and a 7th, but that feels like piling on). The cherry on top - or maybe CF’s sadism toward the fans, was that ungodly $25.5M extension. In short, he made a terrible decision that was terrible the moment it was conceived, certainly bidding against himself, then tripled down on it. So when I allow optimism to seep in, the fact that this guy is pulling the strings makes me worry that he doesn’t have the necessary vision and plan to get them where we want them to be. (Then again, he’s the guy who pulled off the Ellis trade; he’s so perplexing!) I hope I’m wrong.

To avoid board (possibly) or my own (definitely) rules on trying to stay on topic, CF worries me because they could have had an easy off-season. There are two excellent FAs this summer who very likely would love to sign here, including the one who is the subject of this thread, but I’m not sure it can be done. Sure, they could probably pay someone to take JVR or just bite the bullet and buyout. He’s a good player, he’s just not worth anything close to $7M of cap space. But they committed $5M to RR when they could have had what he brings for ELC value. It’s depressing.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
In regard to the discussion of what their near-future looks like, I do think this will undoubtedly be a better team next year. They’ll have Coots back and unless the gypsy really REALLY means to stick it to the organization, Ellis. They’ll have a new coach(es) who can’t possibly be poorer than what they were getting this year (sorry, Mike). There’s simply too many decent players on the roster for them to be in the bottom five*. (*Note that I didn’t write “compete for a Cup”; I’m optimistic at times, not insane.)

What worries me is Fletcher - and his bosses. The set of transactions that are emblematic of these concerns involve Ristolainen. He always had poor possession numbers relative to his teammates, and his traditional statistics have one of the strangest productivity curves. Most players peak at 27; he seems to have peaked at 21. His shot totals (cherry-picked metric) have declined since then and are about half what they were in 2015. What happened? Who knows, but no matter. For Fletcher, the warning signs were there: this guy was a reclamation project. Instead of seeing what was obvious to anyone with working eyes, our GM’s idea was to spend the 14th overall pick, a second still owed, and Hagg - who is RR w/o the salary and term commitment. A fool and his money are always so easy to separate. But wait, there’s more! In order to fit him, we traded the enigmatic Ghost along with carrying costs of this year’s mid-30s overall pick (and a 7th, but that feels like piling on). The cherry on top - or maybe CF’s sadism toward the fans, was that ungodly $25.5M extension. In short, he made a terrible decision that was terrible the moment it was conceived, certainly bidding against himself, then tripled down on it. So when I allow optimism to seep in, the fact that this guy is pulling the strings makes me worry that he doesn’t have the necessary vision and plan to get them where we want them to be. (Then again, he’s the guy who pulled off the Ellis trade; he’s so perplexing!) I hope I’m wrong.

To avoid board (possibly) or my own (definitely) rules on trying to stay on topic, CF worries me because they could have had an easy off-season. There are two excellent FAs this summer who very likely would love to sign here, including the one who is the subject of this thread, but I’m not sure it can be done. Sure, they could probably pay someone to take JVR or just bite the bullet and buyout. He’s a good player, he’s just not worth anything close to $7M of cap space. But they committed $5M to RR when they could have had what he brings for ELC value. It’s depressing.
Lol

A full year of no Giroux and whatever other replacement level players Fletch brings in. All he's done is get farther and farther away from the best correlation to winning games (strong offensive and defensive transition metrics) and will double (quadruple?) down this year.

65 points max

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
Lol

A full year of no Giroux and whatever other replacement level players Fletch brings in. All he's done is get farther and farther away from the best correlation to winning games (strong offensive and defensive transition metrics) and will double (quadruple?) down this year.

65 points max
When has he ever aimed that high?

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
All Fletcher had to do was realize Ristolainen wasnt who he thought he was and trade him at the deadline to recover some of the assets he gave up by getting him. Fans would have accepted that, and even gave him props for realizing his mistake.

Instead he doubles down and gives him an awful extension and puts us in an even worse position for 5 more years.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Still not sure resigning Risto was Fletcher's call, the Dino advisors want the Flyers to be "hard to play against" and think Risto fits the bill.

Why suddenly jump from 4/4 to 5/5 when you were just talking about trading him at the TDL, Fletcher had the leverage, could have gotten a 1st and assets, so he was under no pressure to resign him. Just smells like a Dino move.

In order to rebuild in the 1990s, Snider had to fire Holmgren and Clarke - they both consider "rebuild" a dirty word.

Reactions: renberg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad