Girgensons an all situations number #1 center? I'm starting to think its possible

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
i'll add, while Girgensons can turn into that Bergeron-esque shutdown #1 center.... I also think all of his best traits would translate fine to the wing... IF... one of our other guys (Reinhart, Grigo, 2015 1st) were to develop into a #1 as well. Similar to Oreilly being effective where ever he plays.

I'm not saying he has to be moved one way or the other... but the fact that his game naturally translates, is a valuable commodity.

Similar to Rod Brind'Amour.

Prior to the season, I had Girgensons pegged as the #3 center. He's progressing past that rapidly. Center or winger on either top line.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Girgensons is the hero that Buffalo deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we will tank with him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent Sabre, an all star center. A Latvian Knight.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Well then you used an extremely misleading title for your post. ("Girgensons an all situations number #1 center? I'm starting to think its possible")

Not sure why there would be confusion. I was talking about my hopes for him for the future but that nothing was assured. I thought the first line of my OP made that clear.

"I'm not sure if he could be a #1 on a contender or not yet. But what he is doing this year is incredible and tells us its not that far fetched of an idea."

My OP was about arguing it might be possible not that its assured.

Most would consider Bergeron their #2 center behind Krejci. When you say "#1 center," I thought you meant first line center, the guy who centers the first line and first PP unit. But I guess you meant the center that can play all situations, both PK and PP. Basically we're using the term "#1 center" differently, but agree on everything else :). Semantics.

No most would consider Bergeron the #1 center in Boston. Maybe a 1A (Bergeron) and 1B (Krejci) would be the best description with how close they are in value to the Bruins. But few would consider Krejci the #1. Boston is built around those two as the core pieces at center in a way Girgs/Reinhart could be regardless of what happens in the upcoming draft.

ZeroPT*

Girgensons is the hero that Buffalo deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we will tank with him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent Sabre, an all star center. A Latvian Knight.
:laugh::laugh:

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Will Girgensons be a top 30 center in the NHL? Probably yeah. Does that mean we should be content with it? Nope. I want an elite 80 point offensive dynamo centering my top line (and 2nd line). Reinhart is a Start but Eichel is the piece we actually NEED. Eichel ends the rebuild. Anything less then a top 3 pick this year prolongs it. We lack elite superstar forward prospects. We have 1* (Some consider Reinhart only a "star" type prospect capable of ~70 points. I think he will average around 30-40-70 for most of his prime with the occasional ppg+ season) but we need that guy who is capable of contending for the Art Ross.

I love Girgensons game and he will be a long time two way physical 50 point player but I want that guy on my 2nd or 3rd line, not my first. I want a 80+ point center on my first line with two 30 goal scorers flanking him with a two way 70 point center on the 2nd line (Reinhart) with two 25 goal type wingers around him. Girgensons fits perfectly as our #3 C or a 2nd line winger. It's not like he wouldn't get major minutes even on the 3rd or 2nd line, he will still get major PK time and be anchoring our shutdown/protect 1 goal lead line. But for ES I want more offense from our top 3/6 forwards.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
Will Girgensons be a top 30 center in the NHL? Probably yeah. Does that mean we should be content with it? Nope. I want an elite 80 point offensive dynamo centering my top line (and 2nd line). Reinhart is a Start but Eichel is the piece we actually NEED. Eichel ends the rebuild. Anything less then a top 3 pick this year prolongs it. We lack elite superstar forward prospects. We have 1* (Some consider Reinhart only a "star" type prospect capable of ~70 points. I think he will average around 30-40-70 for most of his prime with the occasional ppg+ season) but we need that guy who is capable of contending for the Art Ross.

I love Girgensons game and he will be a long time two way physical 50 point player but I want that guy on my 2nd or 3rd line, not my first. I want a 80+ point center on my first line with two 30 goal scorers flanking him with a two way 70 point center on the 2nd line (Reinhart) with two 25 goal type wingers around him. Girgensons fits perfectly as our #3 C or a 2nd line winger. It's not like he wouldn't get major minutes even on the 3rd or 2nd line, he will still get major PK time and be anchoring our shutdown/protect 1 goal lead line. But for ES I want more offense from our top 3/6 forwards.

You seem to confuse the meaning of want and need a lot.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

Why are you pegging Girgensons for the 2nd or 3rd line?

Girgensons - McEichel - Armia could be a hell of a first line.

(Hecht - Briere - Dumont) ;)

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
You seem to confuse the meaning of want and need a lot.

Why are you pegging Girgensons for the 2nd or 3rd line?

Girgensons - McEichel - Armia could be a hell of a first line.

(Hecht - Briere - Dumont) ;)

Yea, call me crazy but I'd rather have a 50-55 pt all situations two way center as my #1, than a center that produces like Ovechkin and has the defensive chops of him too. No freaking thanks.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Yea, call me crazy but I'd rather have a 50-55 pt all situations two way center as my #1, than a center that produces like Ovechkin and has the defensive chops of him too. No freaking thanks.

What happens if the Sabres draft McDavid then? Push him to the wing? Doubt that.

I'd rather have McDavid with Girgensons on his wing, with Reinhart centering the second line.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada

Chances are if a guy can produce like Ovechkin playing center he isn't going to be bad defensively, the puck would almost always be in the offensive zone. I quite easily take the 90-110 Point center then the 55 point player :laugh:

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Chances are if a guy can produce like Ovechkin playing center he isn't going to be bad defensively, the puck would almost always be in the offensive zone. I quite easily take the 90-110 Point center then the 55 point player :laugh:

Sure, if you have that freak of nature it's obvious. I just don't think that there are many 70, 90, 110 pt top line centers in today's NHL that are awesome two way, all situation centers. Can you name a few that are still playing today? Not just the points but the all around package.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Sure, if you have that freak of nature it's obvious. I just don't think that there are many 70, 90, 110 pt top line centers in today's NHL that are awesome two way, all situation centers. Can you name a few that are still playing today?

Assume the Sabres draft McDavid. Do you play him at wing to keep Gigensons at center?

I don't. Girgensons would be on his wing, similar to O'Reilly's role last season.

B U F F A L O

Dec 30, 2013

Very unrealistic to be wanting SIX 25+ goal scorers in the top 6.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

Video games

Arthur

Jun 8, 2012
Assume the Sabres draft McDavid. Do you play him at wing to keep Gigensons at center?

I don't. Girgensons would be on his wing, similar to O'Reilly's role last season.
Once Girgs get potent centers on the team, he should be playing wing. :nod:

DrStrangelife

Dec 14, 2011
Rīga

Since this is just pure fantasy and none of those players need to get paid, why stop there? I'd surely want a team where Girgs is on the 4th line, with two 15-20 goal/shutdown wingers. Our 3rd line center should be a 60+ point player, with two 20g wingers. 2nd line a 70+ point centre with two 25g wingers and our 1st line with a Crosby-esque type a player with 30+ goal wingers.

That be great, wouldn't it??? :laugh:

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Since this is just pure fantasy and none of those players need to get paid, why stop there? I'd surely want a team where Girgs is on the 4th line, with two 15-20 goal/shutdown wingers. Our 3rd line center should be a 60+ point player, with two 20g wingers. 2nd line a 70+ point centre with two 25g wingers and our 1st line with a Crosby-esque type a player with 30+ goal wingers.

That be great, wouldn't it??? :laugh:

:biglaugh:

Nice

Like Jame said ... Video games

ZeroPT*

Yeah and I want Shakira. And 10 mil.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad