Confirmed with Link: Girardi does NOT have a NMC (only a limited NTC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

This is the same bunch of idiots that insist on him playing top pair minutes with a cracked kneecap.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
I'm more concerned with the franchise not being willing to move Staal or Girardi.

NMC aside, the fact that everyone thinks they have negative value aside (they don't), I just don't know if the franchise will pull the trigger.

I think the players would move if asked, and maybe a Gomez type deal is possible where everyone thought we'd have to give a team something to take Gomez and it wasn't the case at all.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Doesn't matter at all. The NMC never mattered.

The Rangers still think he's an elite defenseman. That's what matters.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
False hope, you're not getting me on this one!

Yeah this is like that goal they score when they're down three with five minutes left, and I'm like

f77.jpg

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

This is the same bunch of idiots that insist on him playing top pair minutes with a cracked kneecap.

FWIW any team even thinking of trading for him is going to want to look at that knee.

Some people here are almost gleeful finding out that DG probably (operative word) doesn't have the NMC like assumed and think okay we can trade him now.........but.......the Rangers are still giving him major minutes and Girardi still has the knee issue.....so even if the Rangers decided they want to trade him (which is a big if) it might not be very easy finding a trading partner and especially if that knee is real bad.

I don't see anything imminent about this news. I suspect in fact that Girardi will finish out the year here.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Yeah, I'd let the optimism chill for a bit.

If this whole NMC isn't an NMC news is true... well, you'd think the Rangers would have known about it... and if they haven't traded him yet...

I still think it's a load of bull, tbh, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong here.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
I don't think it will be as easy as it may seem... The way I'm looking at it, realistically, if we trade Girardi, we will have to retain some sort of salary, or another weaker piece with a lower salary cap hit. We're not going to get rid of the entire $5,500,000, which would have been nice.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Doesn't matter at all. The NMC never mattered.

The Rangers still think he's an elite defenseman. That's what matters.

This. We saw with redden that they were prepared to limit ice time regardless of contract, the coach/management still see G as an integral part of the team

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
I don't think it will be as easy as it may seem... The way I'm looking at it, realistically, if we trade Girardi, we will have to retain some sort of salary, or another weaker piece with a lower salary cap hit. We're not going to get rid of the entire $5,500,000, which would have been nice.

The rest of the NHL does not feel the same way about Dan Girardi as this board does.

If we were to get him, we'd get at least a 2nd round pick, probably more.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
The rest of the NHL does not feel the same way about Dan Girardi as this board does.

If we were to get him, we'd get at least a 2nd round pick, probably more.

I like it, and I don't even think he's bad, he just cannot play this type of system. Dumping him for 2.5MD to me, would not be worth it, but if we can get rid of his entire salary, it's worth it (plus throwing in a prospect or a pick would be realllly nice).

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
If the Rangers decide to move on from Girardi, and that's a big IF, he's worth a high 1st round pick + a prospect especially if we retain $1-1.5m. He might not be the same player from 5 years ago but he's still more than useful in the right system, and let's be honest most of the league plays zone D! After all he's matched up quite well against Ovi, Sid, and Malkin in the past and done well, he got top minutes against them so he does get some of that credit. Players with that much experience will always have decent value even with everyone else so down on him.

It's obvious the only way to keep Yandle is to move on from Girardi. This organization needs to get smart and move players as they get out of their prime, you have to in the cap world.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Get. Him. Off. The. Team. Now.
Unfortunately the word is out that Girardi is one of the most overpaid bums in the entire league. Apparently our wise management didn't think so when they threw Strålman under the bus and signed this behemoth to a ridiculous contract. Anyhow, if we can only offer a couple of picks to get him off our backs, it'll be worth it.

I will NEVER understand how a guy like Girardi, with the bottom 5 worst breakout percentage IN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE FOR CONSECUTIVE YEARS was worth $5.5m. Apparently the NYR management doesn't have a clue what they should look for in a reliable defenseman. Apparently clearing the zone back to the oppostion - at best - is worth millions for a competitive team, for an unsigned defenseman - for a reason. Yeah, let's watch him block so many shots, since he gave the puck back for another couple of years. So awesome.

Other teams want US to pay to get him off our backs, where we have nothing to give. That's the situation of the franchise right now. I would honestly consider a (the 567th?) buyout at this stage. Yet AV plays him over 20 minutes a game. :biglaugh: He's like a glorified version of Hal Gill in a new era where he is obsolete and we paid him a ridiculous sum of money to hurt us. Awesome.

Last edited:

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
If the Rangers decide to move on from Girardi, and that's a big IF, he's worth a high 1st round pick + a prospect especially if we retain $1-1.5m. He might not be the same player from 5 years ago but he's still more than useful in the right system, and let's be honest most of the league plays zone D! After all he's matched up quite well against Ovi, Sid, and Malkin in the past and done well, he got top minutes against them so he does get some of that credit. Players with that much experience will always have decent value even with everyone else so down on him.

It's obvious the only way to keep Yandle is to move on from Girardi. This organization needs to get smart and move players as they get out of their prime, you have to in the cap world.

I like Girardi a lot but he isn't worth anything close to a first round pick with the way he has played.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Again don't think Girardi is going anywhere.

4 years of term left after this season---a $22 mil investment for those 4 years. And right now he has a kneecap problem. If I'm taking on that kind of contract I want to know all about the knee--I want to be sure of a healthy prognosis on it.

But really trading for any player with a serious injury issue is really risky and if you're looking for immediate help it doesn't make a lot of sense no matter how much you like the player.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
I like Girardi a lot but he isn't worth anything close to a first round pick with the way he has played.
I think he would, just look at past trade deadline moves. It doesn't erase his entire body of work.

What did Gaborik fetch from Columbus, oh and he had a NTC, he was playing terrible with the Rangers at that point.

Sekera got a 1st and a solid D prospect Roland Mckeown (2014 2nd rnd pick), and he was a rental and minus player.

Girardi still has value at this point, way more than this board thinks.

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014

That would be the highest return for a third pairing defenseman getting paid 5.5 million dollars a year ever.

Crosby and Malkin's lines score more than average when Girardi is playing against them. He is probably their favorite defenseman.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
That would be the highest return for a third pairing defenseman getting paid 5.5 million dollars a year ever.

Crosby and Malkin's lines score more than average when Girardi is playing against them. He is probably their favorite defenseman.
Yea ok. Exactly what I meant by saying how this only board undervalues players they like to **** on.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Girardi hasn't been a good player in 3.5 seasons. A first and a prospect for him is LAUGHABLE. He might be serviceable as a 3rd pairing defenseman at this point.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
I don't like to **** on Girardi, I really wish he was good.
I'm 100% on board in getting him moved, but teams still very much value his style of play, experience and leadership. Look at Orpik, most will argue how much he sucks yet Washington loves him and in the playoffs he's still effective. No need to undervalue Girardi as if he's just turned in Hamerlik.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Girardi hasn't been a good player in 3.5 seasons. A first and a prospect for him is LAUGHABLE. He might be serviceable as a 3rd pairing defenseman at this point.

I remember watching the Islanders series against Washington. At some point later in the series, their Ds just folded. Nick Leddystrom and Johnny B were rattled by AO, the rest of their Ds were rattled by Washingtons pounding. Sure it's a matter of experience, and as a team it was the first time for these guys.

But it's just not accurate to paint Girardi as a worthless D that has no value. He would undoubtedly be very valuable to many teams in this league. Look at what Washington paid Orpik, what EDM paid Nikitin. There are so many teams with Ds out there that don't cut it, let alone are able to be a leader on a team that goes deep in the POs.

Then sure he have flaws, always have had. But it's kind of spoiled and childish to trash him like that.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I remember watching the Islanders series against Washington. At some point later in the series, their Ds just folded. Nick Leddystrom and Johnny B were rattled by AO, the rest of their Ds were rattled by Washingtons pounding. Sure it's a matter of experience, and as a team it was the first time for these guys.

But it's just not accurate to paint Girardi as a worthless D that has no value. He would undoubtedly be very valuable to many teams in this league. Look at what Washington paid Orpik, what EDM paid Nikitin. There are so many teams with Ds out there that don't cut it, let alone are able to be a leader on a team that goes deep in the POs.

Then sure he have flaws, always have had. But it's kind of spoiled and childish to trash him like that.

The Girardi bashing here is almost idiotic.

Who was he matched up against last night? Seguin and Benn. How'd they do? Zero points and benched for the last half of the third period. Yeah, his Corsi sucks and he makes some boneheaded plays but the guy is a leader and somehow gets it done against top players.

Don't fool yourself, there are teams out there that would love to have him and it wouldn't be on the 3rd pair.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
The Girardi bashing here is almost idiotic.

Who was he matched up against last night? Seguin and Benn. How'd they do? Zero points and benched for the last half of the third period. Yeah, his Corsi sucks and he makes some boneheaded plays but the guy is a leader and somehow gets it done against top players.

Don't fool yourself, there are teams out there that would love to have him and it wouldn't be on the 3rd pair.

Idiotic is giving Girardi the credit for "shutting down" Benn and Seguin when there were also 4 other better skaters matched up against them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad