Confirmed with Link: Girardi does NOT have a NMC (only a limited NTC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
Your opinion is fine if you think he's no longer the player he was. The problem I had with that post you had was that he's lazy because he blocks shots. Girardi's hardly the only d-man in the league who blocks a lot of shots and a lot of those other D I'm sure you'd recognize as good players even if you don't think Girardi is anymore. I don't see Girardi as lazy at all. Like pretty much every one of his teammates--(some of whom I don't care a lot for by the way) he's had to work incredibly hard to get to where he has. The rewards for that can be astronomical--so there's no reason to feel sorry for any of them when they're time is up or they can no longer cut it. Even so playing D in the NHL the way he has over the years is a hard way to make a living--and running up blocked shots stats is a fairly unappreciated way to get welts, bruises and the odd broken bone. Sometimes it can mean the difference though between winning and losing.

He is not lazy because he simply blocks shots. If necessary I would expect any defenseman to block the shot. He's lazy because it's his primary form of defense and usually a result of bad positioning or poor skating. Good defenseman are agressive enough to prevent the shot, gain posession, and then maintain posession going the other way. Getting a piece of a shot doesn't even guarantee the puck won't go in the net. Furthermore, when he does get the puck he usually throws it up the boards which is also lazy and ineffective. He hasn't always been this way, but this is his current state. Yea, it takes guts to block a shot, it also takes guts to purposefully nail your hand to a 2x4. Doesn't mean it's always the best, or most effective, decision.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
He is not lazy because he simply blocks shots. If necessary I would expect any defenseman to block the shot. He's lazy because it's his primary form of defense and usually a result of bad positioning or poor skating. Good defenseman are agressive enough to prevent the shot, gain posession, and then maintain posession going the other way. Getting a piece of a shot doesn't even guarantee the puck won't go in the net. Furthermore, when he does get the puck he usually throws it up the boards which is also lazy and ineffective. He hasn't always been this way, but this is his current state. Yea, it takes guts to block a shot, it also takes guts to purposefully nail your hand to a 2x4. Doesn't mean it's always the best, or most effective, decision.

But he's not--because it doesn't take into account what all the other players are doing on the ice and because one player reacting to what an offense is doing cannot cover 200' by 85' on his own against players who can skate, carry the puck, cut and move with the puck and pass the puck. It's also complicated by AV's one on one defensive scheme. This is such a skewed argument on your part meant to pick off one particular player that you've decided you don't like. It wasn't so long ago that Girardi was in the playoffs putting in 40 minute nights when games went into OT. I think he even went over an hour's worth of minutes one night against Washington pretty much lined up against Ovechkin the entire time.

If there's anything lazy it's the way you think on this.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don't think Girardi is lazy. I think he's actually just that poor at ice hockey.

Throwing the puck around the boards is the only thing he can do because he has zero passing talent and the first thing he thinks of because he has zero awareness.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
One game where Girardi goes -12 in shot attempts and Benn and Seguin play like garbage, and suddenly Girardi is good again. :help:

It's not that his Corsi was a little bit worse than other defensemen. No, he had even worse numbers than all 6 Dallas defenders.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
It's not that his Corsi was a little bit worse than other defensemen. No, he had even worse numbers than all 6 Dallas defenders.

I didn't even think he was that good against Dallas; McDonagh easily carried that pairing. I'll give him a break on the blocked shot that led to the breakaway, but I wasn't happy with him losing board battles behind the net, which led to a few point shots from Dallas, with one being a high-quality chance by Klingberg that he shot wide.

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
But he's not--because it doesn't take into account what all the other players are doing on the ice and because one player reacting to what an offense is doing cannot cover 200' by 85' on his own against players who can skate, carry the puck, cut and move with the puck and pass the puck. It's also complicated by AV's one on one defensive scheme. This is such a skewed argument on your part meant to pick off one particular player that you've decided you don't like. It wasn't so long ago that Girardi was in the playoffs putting in 40 minute nights when games went into OT. I think he even went over an hour's worth of minutes one night against Washington pretty much lined up against Ovechkin the entire time.

If there's anything lazy it's the way you think on this.

You're basically arguing that ice hockey rinks are too big for one person to cover by himself. Thank you. No one's asking him to do that we are asking him to play like a top 4 defenseman and not a traffic cone. All the minutes in the world don't matter if you don't do well in them.

If AV's system is too hard for him he shouldn't be on the team, or at least shouldn't be playing anywhere near his top line. That's on AV not Girardi.

Maybe lazy was the wrong word. Incapable is probably better.

I really wish they had better player tracking technology and were able to crop out a player's ice time. You could do this with almost any game this season and prove that Girardi does not play good defense, no matter how good he was in the past or how much "heart" he has.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
One game where Girardi goes -12 in shot attempts and Benn and Seguin play like garbage, and suddenly Girardi is good again. :help:

Hah, I love it. When faced with results (no scoring, benched in 3rd period) we're talking about shot attempts and "Benn and Seguin play like garbage" (despite one leading the league in goals and being #2 and #3 in the league in scoring) and giving no credit to Girardi as usual.

Here's the thing: I agree that Dan isn't having a great season, but this end-all be-all fascination with statistics instead of, or in spite of, results is really amazing.

I mean, John Tortorella, like him or not, is probably a Hall of Fame coach. Same for AV. So, when AV plays him against the #1 team in the league for the 2nd most minutes on the team, it's a little puzzling. Why he just doesn't break out the corsi chart and sit his ass down in favor of Mcilrath? Why does he, and his predecessor JT, play him huge minutes every game/playoffs against the other team's best players if he's a 6th D garbage defenseman that should be traded for a case of Old Spice and a six pack of Yuengling?

You can stick to your numbers and say whatever you want about Girardi. His coaches clearly see something more than whatever it is you're missing.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
You can stick to your numbers and say whatever you want about Girardi. His coaches clearly see something more than whatever it is you're missing.

Appeal to authority isn't really a valid point especially when it's incredibly common in sports to find all kinds of examples where a vet player is no longer playing well at all but a coach will keep playing him like it's 5 years ago.

The coaches still relying on Girardi does not mean that Girardi is playing well or deserves to be getting the minutes he's getting...hell, Girardi himself recently and AV at times earlier in the season have said he's not playing well, but sports is still a huge good ol boys game and Girardi is a respected vet so he'll get all the chances in the world to show that he can turn it around or whatever.

I don't exactly know why but coaches love guys like that and will do anything to avoid playing them less or benching them until a guy is so hobbled he can barely get down the ice.

The coaches still playing Girardi like he's a legit 1st pairing defenseman is an indictment of the coaching staff, not a support of Girardi

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Appeal to authority isn't really a valid point especially when it's incredibly common in sports to find all kinds of examples where a vet player is no longer playing well at all but a coach will keep playing him like it's 5 years ago.

The coaches still relying on Girardi does not mean that Girardi is playing well or deserves to be getting the minutes he's getting...hell, Girardi himself recently and AV at times earlier in the season have said he's not playing well, but sports is still a huge good ol boys game and Girardi is a respected vet so he'll get all the chances in the world to show that he can turn it around or whatever.

I don't exactly know why but coaches love guys like that and will do anything to avoid playing them less or benching them until a guy is so hobbled he can barely get down the ice.

The coaches still playing Girardi like he's a legit 1st pairing defenseman is an indictment of the coaching staff, not a support of Girardi

AV on Girardi/McD within the last 48 hours: "when they are playing on top of their game, there is a lot of familiarity with those two and they are very comfortable with that challenge but depending on how certain guys are playing at certain times in the season, Kleiner has been fairly consistent with us. He likes that challenge also, I would say to you that there is no doubt that we like Dan and Mac together but I don't hesitate to throw Kleiner in there also because I like how he is playing."

Like I said, I'm not saying Dan is playing at or near his best, but giving the guy some credit once in a while - like helping to limit Dallas to 23 SOG, playing the most minutes (RD) against their top line and them leaving scoreless, etc.... doesn't happen too often around here.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Like I said, I'm not saying Dan is playing at or near his best, but giving the guy some credit once in a while - like helping to limit Dallas to 23 SOG, playing the most minutes (RD) against their top line and them leaving scoreless, etc.... doesn't happen too often around here.

Considering Dallas shot the puck more against Girardi than any other Ranger player, no, I'm not giving him credit.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Considering Dallas shot the puck more against Girardi than any other Ranger player, no, I'm not giving him credit.

How many of them got through? How many resulted in goals? How many total shots did the Stars have in the game? Who won the game? Where were the shots taken from? How many were quality scoring chances? Who played the most minutes (RD) against the highest scoring line in hockey and allowed zero points?

Feel free to not give him credit. I will choose to do the opposite. There's more to it than shots generated and no matter how much we banter back and forth about it I'll choose to disagree with you about Tuesday night.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
How many of them got through? How many resulted in goals? How many total shots did the Stars have in the game? Who won the game? Where were the shots taken from? How many were quality scoring chances? Who played the most minutes (RD) against the highest scoring line in hockey and allowed zero points?

Feel free to not give him credit. I will choose to do the opposite. There's more to it than shots generated and no matter how much we banter back and forth about it I'll choose to disagree with you about Tuesday night.

maybe, but the last 3 stanley cup winning teams say hi...

It's not that the other things "don't matter", but the reality is the more shots you give up, the more likely the puck is in your zone and you're defending. if you're constantly defending AND giving up a ton of shots, wouldn't you say the player isn't doing well?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
LMAO.

Plays about 100 good minutes (including this game) since his injury, is at fault for one goal in that span, and he's supposedly the reason we are struggling.

Poor analysis, embarrassing actually.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
LMAO.

Plays about 100 good minutes (including this game) since his injury, is at fault for one goal in that span, and he's supposedly the reason we are struggling.

Poor analysis, embarrassing actually.

Wait...people still actually defend him after the season he is having...??

WOW

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
http://public.tableau.com/shared/4WNZSG74K?:display_count=yes

Just going to leave this here. For those who hate the possession stats, the top 3 stats are actual point related stats.

Girardi sucks, period. He's a fringe top 4 guy on a bad team. A bottom pairing guy on a good team, and a 7th dman on a great team.

And a top pairing d-man on this guys team:

tZuFyBU.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad