TSN: Giordano's Contract Watch - initial ask is $9M/year

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan519*

What about his injuries and the fact he hasn't played a full season in 5 years? Thats why i dont think a long term deal would be too smart

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
What about his injuries and the fact he hasn't played a full season in 5 years? Thats why i dont think a long term deal would be too smart
People really need to stop spreading this fallacy. He was healthy in the lockout year. It's also not like he has a bunch of recurring injuries. His injury this year was a fluke that I don't think any of us have seen before and last season was a broken foot IIRC.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
Over three years, though? It really shouldn't mess anything up long-term.

Actually yes; that's kind of the problem. Remember it's very likely 2016-2017 will be a cap hell season. Now, I'd be great if a team could do us a solid by taking Engelland or Raymond's contract but there is no guarantee.

Not saying 8m x 3 is bad, ofc. Could be a lot worse.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
For a true number one d man in his prime ? Especially at 3 years?

Nah

That's just it though, he put up 43 points as a 27 year old, in a very defensive system. There's really no way of telling if that was the start of his prime and his potential was just stiffled due to the system or if he really is a late bloomer. For all anyone knows this could be the tail end of his prime. Our defensive depth improved leaps and bounds this year, the problem is its at least a couple years before we know what we really have. Personally, I still see a lot of holes in the line up, that will most likely have to be filled via trade, assuming the upswing continues. Guess it really depends on where management sees the team being in the next 3 years. If they don't think the team is complete enough to be in true contention in the next few years, it may be wise to cash in and fill a couple holes.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Actually yes; that's kind of the problem. Remember it's very likely 2016-2017 will be a cap hell season. Now, I'd be great if a team could do us a solid by taking Engelland or Raymond's contract but there is no guarantee.

Not saying 8m x 3 is bad, ofc. Could be a lot worse.

Yeah. I'd rather they go for the lowest AAV possible, even if it does mean signing him right to the end of his 30s.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
I would seriously offer him 9 over 3 years. That's 27 million dollars!

Of course you would, but he'd a be a fool to accept it.

He'll want long term financial security with a full NMC.

If Calgary doesn't show him the loyalty he'll expect, I doubt he wouldn't consider UFA.

If Calgary wants to sign him, the contract is going to hurt. In years and likely amount per season.

And I'm sure it's the years that is concerning to the Flames.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Let's say they settle on a 50 million dollar contract. How many years would people rather see that over? 6 (8.3), 7 (7.15), or 8 (6.25)?

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Let's say they settle on a 50 million dollar contract. How many years would people rather see that over? 6 (8.3), 7 (7.15), or 8 (6.25)?

There is zero chance anyone "settles" on an amount without knowing the years, LOL.

But from the Flames perspective, they would want 8.

If the Flames need to pay him $50M to satisfy him, he's as good as gone.

Or should be anyway.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
There is zero chance anyone "settles" on an amount without knowing the years, LOL.

But from the Flames perspective, they would want 8.

If the Flames need to pay him $50M to satisfy him, he's as good as gone.

Or should be anyway.

I wasn't thinking a hypothetical where they say "you get 50 mil, and SURPRISE length!" at the time. Just more of a concrete way of debating whether term or cap hit is more valuable, since a lot of people are saying they'd prefer like a 3-5 year contract (which I'd say is unlikely, at best, just because the AAV has to be insane for him to be guaranteed good money on it).

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
I wasn't thinking a hypothetical where they say "you get 50 mil, and SURPRISE length!" at the time. Just more of a concrete way of debating whether term or cap hit is more valuable, since a lot of people are saying they'd prefer like a 3-5 year contract (which I'd say is unlikely, at best, just because the AAV has to be insane for him to be guaranteed good money on it).

If Gio wants term and money he can get it from someone and he knows it.

It likely shouldn't be the Flames as their window is quite long right now and going long term with Gio will really hadcuff them in years 4+.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
If Gio wants term and money he can get it from someone and he knows it.

It likely shouldn't be the Flames as their window is quite long right now and going long term with Gio will really hadcuff them in years 4+.

See this is where I think the Flames have some control. Maybe he can get both term and money from someone, but look at the teams who can afford to pay him that, does Gio want to even play for those teams? Management does some leverage here, but I think we both agree on that we should not be writing him a blank cheque.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014

8...its a no brainer keep the AAV low. To bad he is probably looking at annual salary plus term versus total contract value.

That said if it would get him signed to an AAV under 6.5 i would look at a ROR structured contract over 8 year where the bulk of the money is bonus versus salary. I would also want it flat rate to avoid cap recapture penalties.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
8...its a no brainer keep the AAV low. To bad he is probably looking at annual salary plus term versus total contract value.

That said if it would get him signed to an AAV under 6.5 i would look at a ROR structured contract over 8 year where the bulk of the money is bonus versus salary. I would also want it flat rate to avoid cap recapture penalties.

I believe cap recapture only applies to contract prior to the last CBA, so any structure should be okay. I think I'd support 7-8 years for Gio if it meant the cap hit was in the low 6 area.

Snazu

I contribute nothing
Feb 2, 2007
See this is where I think the Flames have some control. Maybe he can get both term and money from someone, but look at the teams who can afford to pay him that, does Gio want to even play for those teams? Management does some leverage here, but I think we both agree on that we should not be writing him a blank cheque.

I agree, after seeing what happened this year for UFAs and seeing how little money got handed out this summer, I think Gio would be stupid to not try to sign an extension with Calgary. If the cap stays around the same for the next season, there are going to be very few teams that could fit his kind of cap hit on their budget. His agent may be playing hardball now, but I see as the longer the negotiating goes on, the better the chance the Flames have of getting him for a more reasonable price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad