Giordano = Potentially the worst contract in the NHL?

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
So as of no I don't think anyone can say this with such a small sample size. However, outside of last years contract year play, he has always been an average D.

This year IMO he has looked like an at best #4-5D. Remember that he is 32. He's signed to a retirement deal locked in at first pairing D money 6.75 AAV.

Additionally he has a full NMC. I know there are some other contracts such as Clarkson, Dustin Brown, etc. However having a #4 D signed long term at 32 who will do nothing but decline and to have him carry a top pairing D salary and NMC is a recipe for a screwed up rebuild.

What do you guys think?

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
I think it's too early to say, he's been out for a while, it could get ugly but worst contract, i don't think so.

eyetest is useless

Oct 25, 2014
Has been an average Dman = hadn't been noticed by mainstream fans

The contract is risky, but mostly because of his health. Had he stayed healthy, he would have deserved the Norris in each of the last TWO seasons. So yeah, criticising the contract is fair game, but focusing on the performance instead of the health angle is a joke.

McBaevid

Lottery Dynasty
Oct 3, 2010
Edmonton, AB
However, outside of last years contract year play, he has always been an average D.

He was a Norris level Dman the year before as well. Coming from an Oilers fan, he was/is legit. 25 games coming off an injury doesn't take that away.
Your comments show you clearly didn't watch him.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Oiler fan here who doesn't go out of his way to compliment any Flame, but Gio is far from being some one year wonder who just cashed in, he's been very very good for a number of years. How you can even bring him up as one of the worst contracts in the league with you being a Leafs fan is mind boggling, does Clarkson ring a bell? I'd also take Giordano over Phaneuf any day of the week.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Carle is a #7 with a NTC being paid 5.5m for 2 seasons after this one so no, Giordano's contract is not the worst in the NHL.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Carle is a #7 with a NTC being paid 5.5m for 2 seasons after this one so no, Giordano's contract is not the worst in the NHL.

And Andrew MacDonald is a #8 being paid $5 million for 4 seasons after this one.

:cry:

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
It's a fine contract for the first 3 years.

I suspect the 35+ portion of the contract is going to be painful for the Flames.

When you got to hockey reference and look for strong seasons by defensemen, the list clears out considerably when D-men start hitting age 35.

For example, since 2009/10 there have only been 10 seasons by defencemen where someone of that age scored more than 30 points. Lidstrom has 3 of those seasons.

The chances of Giordano being effective enough to justify a $7 million dollar contract in from the ages of 35-38 is pretty remote.

shelf

Nov 4, 2006
London ONtario
It's a fine contract for the first 3 years.

I suspect the 35+ portion of the contract is going to be painful for the Flames.

When you got to hockey reference and look for strong seasons by defensemen, the list clears out considerably when D-men start hitting age 35.

For example, since 2009/10 there have only been 10 seasons by defencemen where someone of that age scored more than 30 points. Lidstrom has 3 of those seasons.

The chances of Giordano being effective enough to justify a $7 million dollar contract in from the ages of 35-38 is pretty remote.

Well that's a lie.

09-10: Blake, Lidstrom, Niedermayer, Rafalski, Gonchar, *Pronger, *Timonen.

10-11: Lidstrom, Rafalski, Hamrlik, Timonen.

11-12: Lidstrom, Gonchar, Timonen, Boyle, *Kuba, *Chara

12-13: Lockout season. D-man who scored more than 20
Gonchar, Timonen, Boyle, *Streit

13-14: Timonen, Boyle, Zidlicky, Chara, Streit, *Markov

14-15: Zidlicky, Streit, Markov.

mrcshlbrstrm*

So as of no I don't think anyone can say this with such a small sample size. However, outside of last years contract year play, he has always been an average D.

This year IMO he has looked like an at best #4-5D. Remember that he is 32. He's signed to a retirement deal locked in at first pairing D money 6.75 AAV.

Additionally he has a full NMC. I know there are some other contracts such as Clarkson, Dustin Brown, etc. However having a #4 D signed long term at 32 who will do nothing but decline and to have him carry a top pairing D salary and NMC is a recipe for a screwed up rebuild.

What do you guys think?

He's been bad this year, but he's not a #4. He'd be first pairing in Toronto, still wearing the C. There are worse contracts in the league.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The real problem/risk with the contract is his health, he loses games almost every year, and a significant chunk at that. He may have less 'mileage' than other d-men his age, but he's starting to rack up injuries that are cutting into his conditioning/timing and I think this year is a result of one. I don't think it's the worst at face value, and I'm not sure it can be the worst if he's just flat out hurt as opposed to flat out terrible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad