Gionta - what does he bring?

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I honestly can't wait until the end of this season so that he can drift away into free-agency and we can have our 5 mill in cap space back and a 2nd line wing position for someone who will make use of it.

If Gionta is re-signed, that will be the end of it. My sanity most likely couldn't handle the rage.

I will agree he is no longer a 5 mil/year calibre player, and he isn't a great fit for the top 9 due to his size...but Gionta would be good value at 2 years 5.5-6 mil.

Why would re-signing him cause you rage? The is a list a mile long of guys I'd be a lot more pissed if we signed rather than BG.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Unfortunately I do remember last year and there were a lot of guys on pace for good seasons (including Price) until everything fell apart. Where was our captain then? In 2 years we've been in the basement AND we've made an embarrassing exit in the first round after struggling down the stretch and you say "things have gone fine with Gionta on the team"? I'd rather have a guy with some size who scores goals that "aren't pretty". At least he might not get muscled out so easily.

I can't believe people defend Gionta! Koivu was a captain! Muller was a captain! Carbo was a captain! Gionta can take his 46 point best with the Habs elsewhere.

Might just be coincidence, but in 11-12 check our record with him in the lineup and him not there. Before he got hurt we were in a playoff spot or very close.

Last year he missed most of the Ottawa series and we lost.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
But, but, but he's SHORT !!!! :laugh:

I think that affects a lot of people's judgment on here.

If you are under 5'11", older than 30 or have a high cap hit, you can't do anything rigfht and should be banished to Siberia and you ice time should go to a rookie.

lol

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
Unfortunately I do remember last year and there were a lot of guys on pace for good seasons (including Price) until everything fell apart. Where was our captain then? In 2 years we've been in the basement AND we've made an embarrassing exit in the first round after struggling down the stretch and you say "things have gone fine with Gionta on the team"? I'd rather have a guy with some size who scores goals that "aren't pretty". At least he might not get muscled out so easily.

I can't believe people defend Gionta! Koivu was a captain! Muller was a captain! Carbo was a captain! Gionta can take his 46 point best with the Habs elsewhere.

Your response, albeit quite emotional, provides no counter argument to what Gionta brings to the team, which again is scoring, great 5 on 5 play and leadership. Stuff that Bournival is still far removed from producing in the NHL.

Gionta is a good player, Bournival has the chance of becoming a good NHLer, if he's lucky he'll reach Gionta's level. However he's not there yet.

It's fine that you don't want him on the team, but don't ignore the very real and positive effect he has on the Habs. That would just be silly.

This isn't an Xbox game where you trade a 25 goal scorer because he didn't produce in one game. It's reality. So until you come up with a realistic scenario for someone to take over his 5 on 5 TOI against top competition & his goal scoring, your rant is nothing but the early seasons angst from a short sighted fan.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Your response, albeit quite emotional, provides no counter argument to what Gionta brings to the team, which again is scoring, great 5 on 5 play and leadership. Stuff that Bournival is still far removed from producing in the NHL.

Gionta is a good player, Bournival has the chance of becoming a good NHLer, if he's lucky he'll reach Gionta's level. However he's not there yet.

It's fine that you don't want him on the team, but don't ignore the very real and positive effect he has on the Habs. That would just be silly.

This isn't an Xbox game where you trade a 25 goal scorer because he didn't produce in one game. It's reality. So until you come up with a realistic scenario for someone to take over his 5 on 5 TOI against top competition & his goal scoring, your rant is nothing but the early seasons angst from a short sighted fan.

Totally agree. But change the thread title to, "What WILL he bring", and you open up a legitimate line of questioning. Gionta's contract is up next Spring. He'll be (I think) 35. We'll need his cap room to sign a bunch of younger players, plus he's become a chronic injury risk. Unless the Habs look like a contender in February, it might be the time for some smart asset management by making a trade-deadline deal with him. I'd rather sell semi-high on a still-productive Gionta than wait another season or two as he declines or retires.

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
Totally agree. But change the thread title to, "What WILL he bring", and you open up a legitimate line of questioning. Gionta's contract is up next Spring. He'll be (I think) 35. We'll need his cap room to sign a bunch of younger players, plus he's become a chronic injury risk. Unless the Habs look like a contender in February, it might be the time for some smart asset management by making a trade-deadline deal with him. I'd rather sell semi-high on a still-productive Gionta than wait another season or two as he declines or retires.

I'm not sure what the future will bring with Gionta.

If he took a massive (and I'm talking about 50%) pay-cut I would be open to extending him. At $2.5M he'd be great value.

That being said, I wouldn't be opposed to moving him come deadline if we're out of the playoffs.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'm not sure what the future will bring with Gionta.

If he took a massive (and I'm talking about 50%) pay-cut I would be open to extending him. At $2.5M he'd be great value.

That being said, I wouldn't be opposed to moving him come deadline if we're out of the playoffs.

If we're out of it at the deadline.. Gionta, Markov, Moen, Bouillon, Diaz, potentially Gorges, Desharnais, Briere (they won't, though), Murray, are all pieces I'd try to move.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
If we're out of it at the deadline.. Gionta, Markov, Moen, Bouillon, Diaz, potentially Gorges, Desharnais, Briere (they won't, though), Murray, are all pieces I'd try to move.

Don't forget Therrien

Gorges won't move, he's given a lot to this franchise and committed long term, Markov either (depending on salary demands).

Joe Cole

Jun 17, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
He was frustrating to watch because he didnt capitalized on his scoring chances... that doesnt mean he was useless. Some people....

Ever see Gionta make a bad pass? Ever see Gionta making turnover in his own zone? Ever see Gionta not coming back in his own zone?

Yes he is expensive for a guy that score 25 goals but he will still find a way to score 25 by the end of the year if hes not injured. At worst 20.

+1

Let him get back into game shape, and play him with someone that can make some space in the offensive zone.

The obsession with inexperienced guys that have a few good games in pre-season is short sighted and childish.

While Bournival may become a NHL player, Gionta already is.

When the time comes, Gionta will move on, or retire and the young guys will have started to round out their games. Then, it is time.

As someone else said, Gionta is not the problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad