Proposal: Gio to CGY at the deadline

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
If Seattle is out of the picture come deadline time, and the flames keep winning games, I don't see why this couldnt/shouldnt happen.

What would it take? a 2nd / plus a B level prospect?

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
I couldn't imagine a bigger shot in the arm for the team then to bring back their beloved ex-leader right before playoffs, it would also blow the roof off the Dome. That left side needs all the insurance it can get.

Reactions: flamesforcup

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Sorry. Our D is better without Gio. It has allowed Hanifin and Kylington to play big minutes. Our leadership core has reformed without Gio with other players stepping up. Our cap space has been used.

If Gio does back it will be as a UFA next year and it would be as a 3rd pairing guy or as the 7th D. Not because he isn't good enough to play higher, but because his spot has been taken.

Last edited:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I thought that wasn't allowed on account of him being an expansion pick?

I don't think there's a restriction like that. Washington traded for Vanecek back after expansion for example.

I think the rules was that you couldn't tinker around with the cap hits, not that you cannot trade a player back, but I think this is in general and not expansion specific. We cannot trade Gio with the intention of bringing him back immediately salary retained by other clubs or bought out and then signed to a dirt cheap deal.

If we trade for Gio, there likely has to be a little bit of proof we evaluated other players and he was the best option (ie: The Orpik and Stone buyout situations, because there was enough proof that no other orgs could put up a deal that made sense for him other than their previous orgs). The proof that is needed is likely very loose. I believe you'd basically have to be kinda dumb or obviously not doing things in a fair manner to not be able to meet that minimum threshold.

I think this would be harder if there's a ton of other names on the market that seemingly make more sense and/or he is loosely targeted for "insurance" and unfairly traded back to us in a bizarre way that is unavailable to other orgs. I think it's much more fair if it's something like we acquire Gio as a rental because a key LD like Hanifin goes down and we need a top 4 rental to stay on pace for playoffs/for the playoffs and someone who would fit in quickly and easily or something like that. I think a part of the spirit of the rule is that the other clubs have to feel there is fairness as well.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Sorry. Our D is better without Gio. It has allowed Hanifin and Kylington to play big minutes. Our leadership core has reformed with Gio with other players stepping up. Our cap space has been used.

If Gio does back it will be as a UFA next year and it would be as a 3rd pairing guy or as the 7th D. Not because he isn't good enough to play higher, but because his spot has been taken.

Oddly enough, for the first time, I think on LD, there's an argument that Gio could improve it if certain players were subtracted. For instance a Kylington or Hanifin injury and Valimaki/Mackey/Zadorov etc. is just not cutting it in the top 4 role when given the chance and our team looks to be able to do some damage in the playoffs if that top 4 LD role is appropriately addressed, is one of those situations.

Gio back to us next season as a 7D doesn't make sense to me unless he really wants to be in the Calgary area. IMO it would make more sense to take a lesser role and much higher pay/role for a few years to help Seattle out along the lines of Engelland prior to returning here if going with that conceptual idea.

Reactions: Nanuuk

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Yeah, Gio's time in Calgary is over. Just like there was talk about bringing Iggy back for a cup run post trade out of Calgary, same applies to Gio.

Go get a Liljegren or Brannstrom.

Reactions: Mitts

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
You think old man Gio will help them?

If we're being objective, there's a 50% chance Giordano-Gudbranson would be a better third pair than Valimaki-Gudbranson, and a 100% chance it'd be a better third pair than Zadorov-Gudbranson.

But it'd be a third pair nonetheless. I love Gio but his days as a top four guy are probably over unless you just need him to stay at home for an Erik Karlsson type.

The best fit for Gio, though?

Florida's third pair

Weegar-Ekblad
Forsling-Gudas
Giordano-Montour

That right there is a championship D-core. Montour is a much better fit beside Gio than Gudbranson.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad