OT: Gino Odjick on L'AntiChambre

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
He learned Russian by living with Pavel Bure, exactly in the days where he was taking punches night in night out.

He got Russian beat into him, uh? That figures. If you can teach an Indian to run after a puck in 20 years, you can teach him to speak Russian in 2.

(He said that, not me! He used the "If you can teach an Indian to..." thing quite a bit. That, and having to learn new words.)

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto
It's a weak excuse if that' all he has. I watched my mom deteriorate 3 years ago, put her in the hospice house, watched cancer take her as she faded away into nothing. I never turned to alcohol, not once.
We're all different. Everybody is affected by high-pressure emotional situations like that differently. Good for you, but I wouldn't be so quick to cast a stone in Odjick's direction.

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
Gino shouldnt have been there. RDS are ****ing stupid to invite someone with mental difficulties in a live show. Whats the point?

Poor him. Now you understand why old players are suiing the nhl.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Gino shouldnt have been there. RDS are ****ing stupid to invite someone with mental difficulties in a live show. Whats the point?

Poor him. Now you understand why old players are suiing the nhl.
Actually they had no idea. He was 40 min late or something and he came in about 1 minute before the show was going on air. They only had time to mic him up and sit him down. Langdeau was on radio this morning and said they definitely would not have put him on the air if they had known.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Met him once. He was nice to me, but definitely not eloquent or anything. Don't judge him based on one TV appearance, he may have been very nervous. I don't know if anyone saw Eminem at half time at Notre Dame Michigan game earlier this year but he looked worse than Gino and he's never had any concussions. At one point, he kind of snaps out of it and says he has a hard time with love TV. And he had to perform and entertain crowds a lot more directly than Gino ever did, so to me, he should be used to it, but hey some people are bad in front of a camera.

Here's the Eminem clip:

http://youtu.be/SFtqkZ2IfeM

I think eminem is just high in that clip

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
It's a weak excuse if that' all he has. I watched my mom deteriorate 3 years ago, put her in the hospice house, watched cancer take her as she faded away into nothing. I never turned to alcohol, not once.

That's a pretty classless thing to say imo, not everyone has strong will power like you so no need to talk about your different experiences considering Gino is different from you and had a different history as well (concussions), and especially considering how awful of a shape he is in right now you can't really judge him without being in his shoes. Sorry for your loss though

edited for clarity and because original post could have been taken negatively

Last edited:

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012

Well good for you.

He said IT COULD HAPPEN to someone losing a love one. You can't expect everybody to react the same way in different situations.

68*

Man I feel bad for Gino. I was hoping he was just really drunk or ****ed up on a drug but this looks like it could be brain damage? :(

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
That's a pretty classless thing to say imo, not everyone has strong will power like you so no need to talk about your different experiences considering Gino is different from you and had a different history as well (concussions), and especially considering how awful of a shape he is in right now you can't really judge him without being in his shoes. Sorry for your loss though

edited for clarity and because original post could have been taken negatively

yeah, I came across like a ******, didn't mean it that way.

Killerguitar101*

Poor Gino, this guy always took care of other people and forgot to take care of himself.

Took care of all the teams he played on, took care of Bure, took care of the Maniwaki natives, still takes care of the first nations in the Vancouver area.

He responds to his fans on twitter (including me, once) and probably received just so many negative comments from twitter, I guess it affected him even more, and you probably wont see him on TV anymore.

Society sucks. The existence of this thread is probably part of why he's at the mental institution. You guys think he's not affected and he's built like a tank, but he isn't.

K2MyEverest

Nov 27, 2010
Montreal
It is really sad to see. He's always been a really down to earth guy and I don't know if you guys knows a little bit about his story but he went through a lot. He clearly suffered from too many hits on the head and alcool abuse. Give the guy a break.

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
Big fan and I would have love to have a friend like him.
Take the rest Gino. God Bless!

KoZed

Mar 28, 2009
Q
The part where he talks about Bergevin finding him a place at the hospital and Therrien getting him a meeting with Dr. Lacroix (and none of it being true) is really scary. I don't think he was lying, but actually believed that. It looks a lot like early signs of dementia pugilistica.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad