News Article: Gino Odjick has terminal heart disease, likely months to live.

gobi

Feb 9, 2006
Paradise, BC
Keep fighting, Gino. He was one of my favorite childhood heroes. He will always be in my memory.

Hearing this makes the business of hockey seems so insignificant.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I sympathize with the entire Canucks family (all of you included) over this heartbreaking news. I couldn't make it through that letter without tearing up. Absolutely gut-wrenching. I hope he can keep getting great treatment from great doctors and somehow pull through and return to full health. My thoughts and prayers are with you all in such a tumultuous time.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Just heard this.

Terrible news!

Wow.

After hearing about his condition....it doesn't sound like anything can be done.

Just sad to know.

Amyloidosis is a 1 out of a million chance of being disgnosed. My dad was one of those people in March 2007. My dad passed away in October 2007, 8 months later. If it wasn't his heart being attacked, he would have lived another 2-5 years, same goes with Gino. But unfortunately, both Gino and my Dad had the exact condition. I just pray that he spends all his time with his family and close friends and live every minute like your last.

God Bless

Mikestew53

Jun 1, 2014
Gino's condition MAY be operable. My father had the same illness, and was diagnosed with days to weeks to live. He lasted another year, and did have a heart transplant. The doctors plan was to hit him with tastiest ion treatment and implant a vad (more or less a fake heart), and await a heart donor. If the radiation and heart transplant go well, he may be able to add some significant time to his life.

Praying for you Gino.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Gino's condition MAY be operable. My father had the same illness, and was diagnosed with days to weeks to live. He lasted another year, and did have a heart transplant. The doctors plan was to hit him with tastiest ion treatment and implant a vad (more or less a fake heart), and await a heart donor. If the radiation and heart transplant go well, he may be able to add some significant time to his life.

Praying for you Gino.

It all depends on how badly damaged the heart is currently. If it's too bad in condition, there might be nothing the doctors can do. It's such a horrible disease.

BB

Nov 16, 2003
Bahrain
Visit site
Wow. I am in shock. If there is a person who will fight for everyday to be with his family and friends, its Gino. I've seen Gino around town many times and there was always a smile on this face and he was always happy to talk to the fans. I wish nothing but the best for him and his family. I hope we see him in the Ring of Honor as soon as possible. I hope he knows he has a lot of fans in this city that are sending him nothing but positive thoughts and well wishes. Let this fight be your best Gino!

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
:(

Awful news. Hopefully he can fight long enough to be there for the club to properly honour him at the start of next season.

His penalty shot goal on Mike Vernon is one of the best moments of pure awesome in franchise history.

Reactions: Burke's Evil Spirit

Johnny LaRue

Jul 21, 2005
Abbotsford
Gino brought a lot of character and soul to the team that it hasn't really had since he left. I'm sorry to hear about his condition for many reasons. For one thing, he's still a young man in many respects, but even more important is that he's leaving behind his family.

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary
I sympathize with the entire Canucks family (all of you included) over this heartbreaking news. I couldn't make it through that letter without tearing up. Absolutely gut-wrenching. I hope he can keep getting great treatment from great doctors and somehow pull through and return to full health. My thoughts and prayers are with you all in such a tumultuous time.

Thanks for stopping by with the kind words.

JerkChicken

Jun 18, 2008
South Sound
I don't think anyone hated Gino... For an enforcer/goon he was very likable.

I can tell you this much... I'm blessed to have been able to see the Canucks play in quite a few different arenas around the NHL. I also have a few jerseys (Linden, Bure, Murzyn, Luongo, McLean) that I've worn to these road game. Usually I get some flack from opposing fans, which is to be expected when you wear the opposing team's jersey to their rink.

But, no matter where it is (Calgary, LA, Dallas, Edmonton, Nashville, Tampa, Anaheim, Florida, Carolina, Colorado, Chicago etc.)... no jersey that I've worn has ever brought me more high-fives and friendly comments than my Odjick jersey. Not even close.

I've had many complete strangers randomly stop me and say things like 'Whoa...Sweet jersey man, I love Gino!' or 'I hate the Canucks, but Odjick was awesome' etc.

Even in Nashville people were talking to me about Gino, and I don't think the Preds weren't even a team until after Gino retired.

It really seems to me that there are a lot of hockey fans that may have a STRONG dislike for the Canucks, yet they are still fans of Gino.

I mean, even in Calgary one time after the Canucks whooped the Flames 6-1 or 7-2 or something... I'm riding the C-Train heading back from the Saddle-Dump at 11pm wearing my Canuck jersey - which is usually a great way to get your ass kicked - drunk Flame fans are shaking my hand and high-fiving me when they see the name on the back of my jersey.

Gino may not have been a saint on the ice, but he was definitely immensely respected by fans and opposing players... and it appears that he still is.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013

Praying for you Gino.

Wow... Praying for your dad man!!

sounds like he is also a fighter

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
I would love to see the Nucks get him in the Ring of Honor. It would mean so much to him, the fans and the Aboriginal Community. Talent wise he doesn't deserve it but very few players were as popular as he was/is. Considering the circumstances I think an exception should be made.

Sport figures and celebrity deaths rarely bother me. When Bourdon and Rypien passed away I was not emotional at all. This news bothers me. He is my all time favourite Canuck, battled through a lot in his life and gave a lot for Aboriginal people.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Gino didn't have the most skill but always had the biggest heart this is most sad news. My prayers go out to him and his family which I'd like to think includes the fans we love you Gino. Heres hoping for a miracle !!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad