Tribute Gino Odjick has passed away (Sister's Facebook)

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Favourite quotes ?

I remember Gino saying “ I was traded for a no name” in regards to Canuck legend Jason strudwick. Fought him too.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Also the only player ever to call out Mark Messier for what he really was.

in this vein, elliotte friedman mentioned gino sticking up for linden and getting himself exiled (along with an anecdote i hadn’t heard before about his draft, which was at the coliseum)

Canucks fans loved Gino Odjick, for a lot of great reasons. Always thought the most impressive thing about him was how he stood up for Trevor Linden when Odjick felt the former captain was being mistreated during the Mike Keenan era. He knew it would get him sent packing, but he did it anyway. Protected teammates on the ice and off. Also loved how he went to get a hot dog and missed his draft selection, not thinking he’d go as high as he did.

but it’s also important for people who weren’t following at the time to remember that gino also once threatened to fight keenan over him badmouthing pat quinn in the room. and keenan backed down.

what i really want to know about that story, which we will probably never find out, is where was messier when this was happening and what was the look on his face? (i doubt that motherf***er actually did or said anything, other than firing passive aggressive shots in the media later)

anyway, love gino. such a warm and generous person—am very lucky i got to spend a little time with him on a couple occasions when i was a kid.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
in this vein, elliotte friedman mentioned gino sticking up for linden and getting himself exiled (along with an anecdote i hadn’t heard before about his draft, which was at the coliseum)

but it’s also important for people who weren’t following at the time to remember that gino also once threatened to fight keenan over him badmouthing pat quinn in the room. and keenan backed down.

what i really want to know about that story, which we will probably never find out, is where was messier when this was happening and what was the look on his face? (i doubt that motherf***er actually did or said anything, other than firing passive aggressive shots in the media later)

anyway, love gino. such a warm and generous person—am very lucky i got to spend a little time with him on a couple occasions when i was a kid.

By all accounts, Messier was in the room and quiet as a mouse whenever incidents like this took place. And it doesn't surprise me at all that Gino was ready to fight with words or fists on behalf of his teammates.

Still wrapping my head around him being gone. Way too soon. :(

• Love
Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
Unbelievable. Those 2 guys - Manson and Grimson were as tough as anyone in their day.
The Strudwick Odjick fight was the first game each player played for their respective new teams. Though Manson was tough and a good fighter he was never in the top tier. Grimson eventually became one of the best, though at the time he fought Grimson he was nowhere near his prime. Probably his best showings against top fighters would be Brown round 3 and McSorley round 1.

ChuckNorris4Cup

May 31, 2018
Went to many games as a kid in the Pacific Coliseum, but will always remember whenever an opposing player layed a big hit or cheap shot on a Canucks player, that's when the fans would start chanting Gino Gino Gino, because they knew he would go get that opposing player for doing something to a Canucks player.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I totally appreciate the f*** out of the fact this broke on Facebook via his sister. I can’t think of a more fitting way.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
A nice tribute to Gino tonight with ex-teammates taking the ice for a moment silence. And the current Canuck team donned the 90's flying skate jerseys for the occasion.

Too bad the game didn't live up to the pre-game ceremonies. Canucks were basically done after another four goal first period on home ice, where they've basically been terrible all season. Gino's memory deserved better than this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad