Gimmicks and storylines/angles you've always wanted to see

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I don't remember who it was but someone once made a remark on "I saw this already" in one of the fixing WWE threads and alluded to how many years ago something was done and they had seen it before. Ya know. I actually don't mind that as much as that some angles are always gonna go over so long as they're done correctly -a good example being a big tag team split. Book it right and you'll still give the fans what they want even if they still remember the time that sniveling coward Marty Jannetty tried to jump out of a window after confronting Shawn Michaels.

But to finally get to it, I think there's stuff we haven't seen done. I mean our gripe for wanting new ideas isn't unwarranted. What are some ideas you've had on the way for gimmicks, storylines or matches you've always wanted to see? (you can skip my following soliloquy if you please)

I have several but I'll go with my 2 favorites as I've maybe mentioned them before.

1. A best of 7 for a vacant WWE championship. You've got 2 white-hot babyfaces going at. Before they get started wrestler "A" declares he's going to win it all and is going to do anything it takes to do it. Wrestler "B" loves what he hears, says it back and the crowd marks out. For the first 3 matches nothing is off limits from kickouts of finishers to someone even tapping out once. Get these guys over and get crowds screaming "THIS IS AWESOME" at the top of their lungs.

Wrestler "A" wins match 1. Wrestler "B" wins matches 2 and 3 convincingly and suddenly that dreaded possibility of being down 3-1 is staring "A" in the face. He goes into match 4 guaranteeing victory because he'll do whatever it takes and openly says it again. He proceeds to get the shit beat out of him in match 4 and knows he's done and "B" is gonna win the whole thing in 5 unless he does something drastic. There comes a point where "A" leaves the ring for 9 seconds and only just barely saves a countout. He's contemplating. He does it a second time and goes back in and basically goes full-blown heel at a moment's notice. He wins dirty and proceeds to intentionally injure "B" after the match. Fast-forward a couple matches and "A" wins in 6 because "B" was so hampered he didn't have a chance. Meanwhile "A" gets to gaslight the whole time about how suddenly everyone hates him because he literally said he'd do what it would take.

You need the right talent for it but I do think this could make for a memorable angle and the heat would be great as well.

2. Someone breaks Honky Tonk's record for the IC championship. But there's only one problem. It's 455 days and I don't know how practical that is. People are gonna sour on someone with the strap for that long regardless of it being a heel or babyface and I think that's the biggest reason why we haven't seen it happen yet. The only real solution I have is that people tend to respond most strongly to "just bring it" champions who win clean. Whoever breaks Honky's record does it by doubling down on how great he is and proving it. If you do that perhaps you can give the allusion that you've just witnessed something biblical. Granted: this is probably far from the best idea of how to do it but I think fans ought to be as excited as possible to see the record broken

Reactions: Kaner9

Kaner9

Nov 10, 2019
NJ
Cena being heel. Looks how good its been for Roman.

I want to see a title for height instead of weight. Not a serious one one for comedy purposes.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Totally not practical, but I'd always enjoy it if they had a one off, non-canon Halloween show where the performers can either cosplay as somebody else or dust off a former persona.

Probably would have to be right crowd though, the lack of pop for the Brood entrance was noticeable.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
2. Someone breaks Honky Tonk's record for the IC championship. But there's only one problem. It's 455 days and I don't know how practical that is. People are gonna sour on someone with the strap for that long regardless of it being a heel or babyface and I think that's the biggest reason why we haven't seen it happen yet. The only real solution I have is that people tend to respond most strongly to "just bring it" champions who win clean. Whoever breaks Honky's record does it by doubling down on how great he is and proving it. If you do that perhaps you can give the allusion that you've just witnessed something biblical. Granted: this is probably far from the best idea of how to do it but I think fans ought to be as excited as possible to see the record broken
HTM's reign was at a time when house shows were still the bread and butter of wrestling. There was not a monthly PPV nor was their 2 weekly television programs. The length of his reign was in part due to the speed of the business at that time. Now it is just television, the business is overexposed and the writers are terrible. They could not manage to keep a guy with a strap that long. Not to mention that there was still an element of legitimate heat.

One of the things that soured me on wrestling going back nearly 2 decades was the constant jobbing of titles. It was once a grand achievement to be a 5 time WWF champion now everyone has the belt 10 times. With the constant musical chairs of titles they will never go old school and give someone that long of a run. Would be cool if they could find the right guy to do it with. Walter comes to mind.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
HTM's reign was at a time when house shows were still the bread and butter of wrestling. There was not a monthly PPV nor was their 2 weekly television programs. The length of his reign was in part due to the speed of the business at that time. Now it is just television, the business is overexposed and the writers are terrible. They could not manage to keep a guy with a strap that long. Not to mention that there was still an element of legitimate heat.

One of the things that soured me on wrestling going back nearly 2 decades was the constant jobbing of titles. It was once a grand achievement to be a 5 time WWF champion now everyone has the belt 10 times. With the constant musical chairs of titles they will never go old school and give someone that long of a run. Would be cool if they could find the right guy to do it with. Walter comes to mind.

There's so much truth to what you said. WWE has to constantly go musical chairs because no one is over enough to remain a champion for any length of time because they have to run a product straight out of 1991 because Linda wont get the f*** out of politics and WWE needs to run a product that can't be used against her. That's why we're stuck with dudes who have been around since 1998 because they got over already with a different set of rules. At least 20 years you had a list of guys who could hold the strap and God knows they needed to. It's so watered down Vince has tried for like 5 years to put over some "silent champion" who is only allowed to say "Big dog. My yard. Deal with it" and it's so bad they resorted to Paul Heyman.

It's part of my insistence of a "fighting champion" because unless you're gonna swing the guy back and forth between babyface and heel like he's big show, your IC champ better be the kind of guy who bitch slaps someone who dares say he won't break the record and beats the hell out of them clean as a whistle. A tweener probably works best here but if you did it right, fans will cheer no matter what. By day 374 people are gonna be so tired of him and you better have a different dynamic.

HandsomeHollywood

Brooke Shields ain't got nothin'
Mar 20, 2017
I always wanted a highly skilled babyface who could wreck his opponents, unless they were top guys. I was hoping to get that with Nakamura but WWE had him going 50/50 with job guys pretty quick after his debut.

I don't think we've seen such a babyface since Austin. In WWE at least.

Reactions: Kaner9 and CDJ

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Before it was ruined by turning into “The Corporate Ministry” and then ruined even more with that “Vince is the Higher Power” bullshit...I always thought The Undertaker’s “Ministry of Darkness” angle was cool.

The crucifixions, the bloodbaths, etc.

Reactions: Kaner9 and ShelbyZ

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Before it was ruined by turning into “The Corporate Ministry” and then ruined even more with that “Vince is the Higher Power” bullshit...I always thought The Undertaker’s “Ministry of Darkness” angle was cool.

The crucifixions, the bloodbaths, etc.

I've always thought Undertaker's work in 1999 was underrated and as such I've always been a fan of the MOD. I thought the build and formation was awesome and would've been fun to just watch Taker, MOD and the Brood just wreak havok every week, then they got into the whole higher power thing... I had hopes it would be someone big, but kind of had a feeling it would be disappointing.

I also liked post-MOD "Unholy Alliance" Undertaker and would've liked to see 'Taker's own predicted eventual back stabbing of Big Show and subsequent feud between the two.

Some others from that era:

-Had he not gotten injured again and subsequently released, would've loved to see the Dr. Death managed by heel JR angle pick up steam
-If only because it would mean he doesn't suffer a tragic career ending and life altering injury, would've loved to see Droz finish his program with D'Lo Brown and then see how his career might've gone once Vince Russo was no longer around to keep giving him crap booking.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Every entrant in the Royal Rumble 1-29 are eliminated. Buzzer goes off, cut to back where EVERYONE is fighting to be #30.
I don’t know how good this would look on tv, but it’s crazy enough that i kinda need to see it now

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I don’t know how good this would look on tv, but it’s crazy enough that i kinda need to see it now

Imagine, ANYONE can be number #30, if they can make it out out of Gorilla with the number 30. Staffers, hell, cameramen, imagine the camera guy drops the camera, picks up the number.

HandsomeHollywood

Brooke Shields ain't got nothin'
Mar 20, 2017
This is not something I want to see but something in surprised hasn't been done (at least not in WWE): A tag team ladder match that ends with one member of each team grabbing a title.
Yes, now that you say it, very surprised WWE hasn't tried a lazy story like this.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
This is not something I want to see but something in surprised hasn't been done (at least not in WWE): A tag team ladder match that ends with one member of each team grabbing a title.
I’m kinda baffled how it hasn’t happened, sounds exactly like something that early TNA would’ve done.

Reactions: Kaner9

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Make the explosives guy at AEW a on screen character that keeps getting moved to other departments and screwing those up. The Talent start beating him up and he brings in a monster body guard to manage.

Kaner9

Nov 10, 2019
NJ

I thought that did happen but I cant think of when actually :laugh: so I guess no.

I wanna see a pimp gimmick or storyline but not Godfather. A dirty ol nasty pimp. No disrespect to Godfather and his Ho Train lol

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
I’m kinda baffled how it hasn’t happened, sounds exactly like something that early TNA would’ve done.

Yeah like I said, it's not a good idea but seems like some stupid thing WWE would have done years ago. I would put money on it at least being pitched in the past.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I thought of this one a long time ago. Far from my best idea but here goes. You get a guy like Haitch who will do anything to stay champion and after he loses it and his rematch he interferes in ever subsequent match thereafter to the point where he's barred from competing for the title for the next year. No title shots for a year end of story. This is after attacking several babyface #1 contenders and even being banned from matches he's not involved in. Guy cannot believe it. He blows some more gaskets and vows to heaven and hell he will not be stopped and will be champion again before the year.

A few weeks later he fakes a face turn and turning over a new leaf. This goes on for about 9 months until he is named a replacement in a championship match by a babyface who was viciously attacked but didn't see the perp and insists our guy could not have done it. The substitute manager in charge allows it because the fans want it and thinks a year was too long for him to wait and is far more lenient to the situation than anyone else who would be otherwise. Our guy wins his title back and instantly turns heel again with the story arc now complete with "I used you! I told you I'd get my belt back before a year! Everyone go to hell!" he reveals he attacked the guy he substituted for and a bunch of other heinous crap.

It's a long way for a "gotcha" moment but so too was the Wolf Pac and "Higher Power"

The heat would be incredible

Last edited:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
And an idea of a women's wrestler I thought of a long time ago too. I have been out for years so forgive me if it's actually happened.

Has there ever been a women's competitor who acts like she is God's gift to earth any time she is champion but throws very public and nasty temper tantrums complete with shrieking and crocodile tears any time she has to actually defend it? And she comes out to do the same thing on a nightly basis when she isn't being given title shots?

We're talking world class whiner here. Actual whining like what a child does.

Oh yeah and there would be a point where after getting her ass kicked multiple times she just carries around a fake replica of the title and calls herself the champ anyway and unlocks said shrieking and crocodile tears feature any time someone calls her out on the bullshit or tries to take it from her. Her ego is so bad she might as well be considered naked without the title.

I'm purposely shooting for the cheapest heat possible because the old adage is true about how business is at its best when you have a heel that people will pay any sum of money to see have their ass kicked. Give her an easy name for "_____ SUCKS!" ringing from the rooftops. I'd lean towards the name "Billie" but that's just because I think 10,000 people can easily do "Billie sucks!" at a venue

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Imagine if there was a wrestler that always had another’s number. No matter what they woudl always win

so for example if Apollo crews always beat roman in a match (for years) but was just a regular competitor vs everyone else. So roman would always be looking out and trying to avoid matchups with Apollo.

you could build some great stories around that for titles or number one contender matches etc.

even better if it’s a heel that always beat the baby face you could have the face over come
It after like 4-5 years at the main event of a major ppv

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Imagine if there was a wrestler that always had another’s number. No matter what they woudl always win

so for example if Apollo crews always beat roman in a match (for years) but was just a regular competitor vs everyone else. So roman would always be looking out and trying to avoid matchups with Apollo.

you could build some great stories around that for titles or number one contender matches etc.

even better if it’s a heel that always beat the baby face you could have the face over come
It after like 4-5 years at the main event of a major ppv

I like it. It would be a great way to give a mid card guy a push.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad