Gilroy on the Wing

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I hope not. If we ever reach the point where we're looking to Matt Gilroy for offense this team is in trouble.

TC82

Aug 27, 2012
No thanks. If this happens, that Gilroy is playing wing on the 3rd line, I'll give up on the season.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Stu ****ing Bickel got a look last year, and no one complained, why not?

Because Gilroy already had his look.

He's been on the team before and he's been in the league a few years. He's a bad hockey player. It's not changing.

Bickel got a look when he was unknown. Now that we know how awful he is, if he were to leave and then come back, everyone would be against it.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The fact that Gilroy remains a creampuff, presumably, overrides what puck distribution he could offer with larger 4th line guys. He won't make 3rd line, and 4th line needs to shut down opposition first line. So definite no ... at this time.

However, having an open mind, Gilroy has one thing you can't teach, which is speed. IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF you wanted to make a project out of targeted muscle add and shoot a lead puck for a stronger shot as a cheap investment, if you could minimize his negatives to a point they were tolerable and enjoy the advantage he offers with skating speed, I would be open to revisit this question in a year, more likely two.

Not before.

His immediate value is as a puck rushing D who can block shots, but he still needs to add strength to take the body.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
Please, it's too early in the season for threads like this to give me an ulcer!

Gilroy is not built for the NHL game and he's not effective nor consistent in his play at either end of the ice.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
The fact that Gilroy remains a creampuff, presumably, overrides what puck distribution he could offer with larger 4th line guys. He won't make 3rd line, and 4th line needs to shut down opposition first line. So definite no ... at this time.

However, having an open mind, Gilroy has one thing you can't teach, which is speed. IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF you wanted to make a project out of targeted muscle add and shoot a lead puck for a stronger shot as a cheap investment, if you could minimize his negatives to a point they were tolerable and enjoy the advantage he offers with skating speed, I would be open to revisit this question in a year, more likely two.

Not before.

His immediate value is as a puck rushing D who can block shots, but he still needs to add strength to take the body.

Wow Bern this post was pretty much spot on.... :amazed:

But you forgot to include Gilroy in a 3 team, 14 player trade proposal before closing. :D

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Third and fourth liners are more role players usually than they are point producers. It's nice when they do produce points but 1) physical forechecking 2) penalty killing 3) a solid grasp of defensive fundamentals and 4) occasional fighting all can be part of the mix. Which one of 1,2, 3 or 4 would Gilroy help with?--more like 5) none of the above.

Onto Bickel as a forward--he was pretty much out of his element. Eminger had a couple tries in previous years if I remember correctly as well and there have occasionally been other d-men that we've done that with. Apart from Ron Greschner who played center for a while--we'd had been much better off calling up a forward every single time this has been tried.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Wow Bern this post was pretty much spot on.... :amazed:

But you forgot to include Gilroy in a 3 team, 14 player trade proposal before closing. :D

Working on it wolife, working on it. ;):)

I'd like to see if there is ANY way we can trade for Dougie Hamilton without giving up Kreider. :naughty::D

Bruins fans seem to want a 3LW and speedier Ds, w/depth at D.

Gilroy is not gonna cut it, but as a freebie throw in, they might take him as an 8th who they might dress as a 6th against weaker teams, allowing them to rest some of their backliners.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
No, it doesn't work that way. Somewhat like suggesting that someone on the Giants should play for us.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
The majority of Gilroy's success has come as a defenseman. He's struggled as a defenseman in the league. So move him to another position. Sounds about right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad