Confirmed with Link: Gillies signs 1 year 2 way deal

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Lol I thought Trevor Gillies. He would have beat every Detroit forwards.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Blues will also once again play short handed tomorrow. Just this time with 11 forwards and 6 Defenseman.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Gillies is last years Lindgren. I wonder who the Blue's have more faith in for the starter. Also, it is going to get crowded in the minors when everyone is healthy. Hofer, Lindgren, Gillies, and arguably even Ellis, all deserve to be in the AHL.

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Gillies is last years Lindgren. I wonder who the Blue's have more faith in for the starter. Also, it is going to get crowded in the minors when everyone is healthy. Hofer, Lindgren, Gillies, and arguably even Ellis, all deserve to be in the AHL.
Im willing to bet they will loan Gillies to other AHL teams like they did with Binnington.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
What a great day to be Jon Gillies. He became an AHL journeyman a couple years ago and finally this season enough teams lost interest that he couldn't find an NHL deal. He's probably had long talks with his agent and finance people to start transitioning his existing savings/assets to managing the current savings without the expectation of 6 digit annual income ever again in his life. Whatever AHL contract he signed this year is without question closer to the money you or I make than what he was making in the AHL last year ($375k). Yesterday he probably spent the day living a middle class life, plugging away at what looked to be a dead end AHL gig (his second of the season) and wondering whether this was the last year he could make any money playing hockey without going to Europe for a few years.

And today he's on an NHL roster making NHL money again (albeit for just a week or so). If he's been smart about his money, he's in a strong position financially but is absolutely not in "set for life" territory. This is a guy who is still going to need to work for a living long after his playing days are over. The money he's going to make out of this is genuinely impactful to his quality of life and the window to make that kind of money is all but closed for him. You don't see that a whole lot in pro sports.

Last edited:

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
What a great day to be Jon Gillies. He became an AHL journeyman a couple years ago and finally this season enough teams lost interest that he couldn't find an NHL deal. He's probably had long talks with his agent and finance people to start transitioning his existing savings/assets to managing the current savings without the expectation of 6 digit annual income ever again in his life. Whatever AHL contract he signed this year is without question closer to the money you or I make than what he was making in the AHL last year ($375k). Yesterday he probably spent the day living a middle class life, plugging away at what looked to be a dead end AHL gig (his second of the season) and wondering whether this was the last year he could make any money playing hockey without going to Europe for a few years.

And today he's on an NHL roster making NHL money again (albeit for just a week or so). If he's been smart about his money, he's in a strong position financially but is absolutely not in "set for life" territory. This is a guy who is still going to need to work for a living long after his playing days are over. The money he's going to make out of this is genuinely impactful to his quality of life and the window to make that kind of money is all but closed for him. You don't see that a whole lot in pro sports.
Plus, if he gets in a game or two and looks decent, that might bring some more attention.

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Gillies and Lindgren are giving the Blues the goaltending to win. Just need our top 6 forwards to play like top 6 forwards.

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
As someone who grew up in John's backyard and played with his younger brother I'm happy to see him succeeding. In the interactions I've had with him over the years he's been extremely positive and has a good head on his shoulders.

After Providence won the national championship I was sure he'd make it as a career backup at the very least. I hope he does well for you guys in this short stint.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Considering 4 of our top 6 forwards are injured, this really means we need our top 10 forwards to play like top 6 guys.
200.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad