Gila River Arena needs a new videoboard

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Found one...at a price IA can afford.

P9150046.JPG

Loved those rear (as well as the front ) projection DLP TV's! Funny thing is a TV like that (when it first came out) could easily run over $2K! Now you can get even better picture for less $

Feb 12, 2003
What does that mean? You avoid stimulating your senses? Is that all of them: sight, hearing, taste, smell, and touch?

There is a spectrum of sensory seeking that people fall on. Some people want it loud, lots of stuff going on, soaking in it all. Other people need a break from the onslaught of sensations around them. I tend to be closer to the latter.

For example, if there are a couple of people talking a lot and loudly, the radio is playing and I am doing something like driving which occupies multiple senses, I will tend to get anxious and uncomfortable from sensory overload.

While at the games I am generally fine because I am focusing on the game and more or less tuning everything else out. But when they just don't stop on the PA systems and the crowd thins out during the intermissions it makes it feel even louder without the noise being absorbed by the acoustics. The lights are flashing, there is just a lot going on.

Feb 12, 2003
I am not sure if I am using the correct terminology, so bear with me. Psychologically speaking there is a flow to events. When you listen to a song it isn't just repeating the same crescendo over and over again from the start. There is a build up to the chorus.

When you watch a movie they do not unveil the plot immediately, they add depth to the characters and unwind the story slowly.

In many performances they are not going 100 miles per hour the entire performance, there is an ebb and flow.

In my opinion, you save the energy in the building for when they are playing. Instead they try to milk a lot of the energy between the plays when the players cannot utilize the energy or worse yet getting people energized during the intermission. If you never have a chance to come down, you are not going to get back to peak energy or enthusiasm in the crowd.

Is it better for the fans to be amped up when they are throwing t-shirts into the crowd or when the team is actually playing?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Some people want it loud, lots of stuff going on, soaking in it all. Other people need a break from the onslaught of sensations around them. I tend to be closer to the latter.

A live sporting event is maybe not the thing for you. Or at least traditional sports, where crowd noise is encouraged.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Well, we got an monstrous addition to the scoreboard in the form of four screens that are nearly larger then the scoreboard itself, above it all. They didn't show live action are replays, but only pre recorded feeds prior to game/period starts and logo during action. Picture quality was great and screen much larger than this in on the scoreboard.

Music was actually vastly improved for the first two periods as well.

Was it the survey or the forum? :laugh:

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
A live sporting event is maybe not the thing for you. Or at least traditional sports, where crowd noise is encouraged.

It isn't crowd noise. It's manufactured, non-stop noise between whistles.

You can really only talk about the game (the kind of thing some people like to do here in GDT's) while they're playing. When I did an Original 6 tour a couple years back, it was apparent how much more important the game was compared to putting on a show. But I dunno; maybe it's required in this market.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Well, we got an monstrous addition to the scoreboard in the form of four screens that are nearly larger then the scoreboard itself, above it all.

Got any pics of them?

I'll always remember during the 2 non sweep years at GRA how every time the crowd had a chant or something going and there was a stoppage they'd kill it by blasting music. Not as much an issue in the regular season but even back then they never really learned.

I don't mind the volume levels and selection for the most part but they could stand to be a bit more discerning on timing.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Well, we got an monstrous addition to the scoreboard in the form of four screens that are nearly larger then the scoreboard itself, above it all. They didn't show live action are replays, but only pre recorded feeds prior to game/period starts and logo during action. Picture quality was great and screen much larger than this in on the scoreboard.

Music was actually vastly improved for the first two periods as well.

Was it the survey or the forum? :laugh:

Yeah, it was a couple weeks since our last game, and I didn't remember ever seeing it. From the upper bowl, the floodlights are big obstructions, but as you say, the quality is very good. Couldn't figure out why they weren't showing highlights on it.

SiaGYZL.jpg

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Heh, interesting. Those weren't there Monday. Either that or I'm blind :laugh:

One thing that's nice about the upper level on the west side is you can see all the media TVs hanging above the press boxes.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Yeah, it was a couple weeks since our last game, and I didn't remember ever seeing it. From the upper bowl, the floodlights are big obstructions, but as you say, the quality is very good. Couldn't figure out why they weren't showing highlights on it.

SiaGYZL.jpg

First night for it, unless I've been crazy unobservant :laugh:

We wondered the same thing about replays. View was unobstructed and beautiful from club level.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona

SiaGYZL.jpg

You can really only talk about the game (the kind of thing some people like to do here in GDT's) while they're playing. When I did an Original 6 tour a couple years back, it was apparent how much more important the game was compared to putting on a show. But I dunno; maybe it's required in this market.

Bingo!

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
What are the ****ing chances that this thread was made, and the next game those are there?

What the ****.

BigMac1212 is either Anthony LeBlanc, or a time traveler.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
What are the ****ing chances that this thread was made, and the next game those are there?

What the ****.

BigMac1212 is either Anthony LeBlanc, or a time traveler.

BigMac1212's next thread: "The Coyotes need to announce that they've come up with an additional $200M, and will be breaking ground in Tempe next Monday."

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
This is bizarre.:D

From some other pictures I saw it looked like they only show replays on the big screen. Should use them as the primary screen.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Loved those rear (as well as the front ) projection DLP TV's! Funny thing is a TV like that (when it first came out) could easily run over $2K! Now you can get even better picture for less $

:laugh:That's funny. I had a DLP and loved it. It went up in smoke so I bought a 55" LCD ten years ago for 2 grand. My DLP was bigger but they didn't make a LCD bigger than a 55". Looking at a 75" as we speak.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
:laugh:That's funny. I had a DLP and loved it. It went up in smoke so I bought a 55" LCD ten years ago for 2 grand. My DLP was bigger but they didn't make a LCD bigger than a 55". Looking at a 75" as we speak.

Sweet! Let me know if you have any question, I've done some research. Bought the Sony 930D 65" myself. I think most important thing is refresh rate of 120 for hockey/sports and turning off all the motion crap (on the better sets), from there it's personal preference. The 75" sets are still "typically" higher dollar still - larger always seems to be last price to drop.

Feb 12, 2003

Nicely said.

knich

Jan 3, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Who really gives a crap about the video board. Do you guys realize how bad the ice has been? At best it is the worst in the league and at worst it is dangerous. Fix the ice, then worry about the video board.

There were some ice problems early on in move but haven't heard complaints in some time. I believe there are a lot worse places than here, particularly places with multi use arenas.

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country

SiaGYZL.jpg

Not what I was hoping, but something's better than the status quo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad