Gibson and Vezina Trophy

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
  1. Rinne
  2. Raanta
  3. Gibson
Would be my top 3. Never going to happen, since all three play in the West.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
Rinne's still comfortably in 1st, but Gibson slots in at 2nd or 3rd (Hellebuyck being the other guy) on my ballot. Realistically, though, after Rinne, there's a field of 5-6 guys who could all campaign for those two remaining nominations.

Gibson's individual stats are actually quite good. He's showing strongly in advanced metrics, and his SV% is 4th among guys with at least 40 games played. (one of them is Fleury, who might fall short due to his lack of games played, and another is Raanta, who plays in hockey obscurity and won't get the recognition he deserves -- also probably going to get snubbed for lack of GP. The 3rd guy ahead of him is Rinne.)

And even by the eye test, Gibson has been one of the best goalies in the league this year. Especially given the fact that our team usually slugs out absolute stinkers defensively.

People look too much at team-controlled statistics like GAA, wins, and shutouts when evaluating for this trophy. If your team can't play defense and allows a crap-ton of shots, your GAA is going to go up. If your team can't play defense and also can't give you much goal support, you're not going to win as much. If you're taking a ridiculous amount of scoring chances against every night (like against the Jets a couple nights ago), then you're going to be hard-pressed to shut them out even if you're at your best.

Oct 18, 2011
Folks of HF, allow me to be a Homer here.

If you look at all the games the ducks have won with him starting, very rarely was he not great or in a position where he didn't have to be.

His GAA is very misleading, if you look at Corsica and break things down he actually has a great case, shorthanded he has been the best goalie in the league. He has completely cut out the soft goals which were always the biggest problem. He would make amazing saves and give up perplexing goals.

He has probably saved Randy Carlyles job. His system is garbage, and he plays Fowler(a good dman) more than Hampus Lindholm (a great one)

If you objectively watch the ducks for a few games you will see they are almost entirely carried by the goaltending and a few other players.

I am not exaggerating he has saved a bad coaches job and most ducks fans would agree with me on that. But Gibson doesn't have the hype behind him but I think he can be a finalist

Reactions: Rec T

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I don't have a major issue with him being a finalist, but things being even I'm not sure Rinne still wouldn't win more or less as a career accomplishment. He's been a finalist several times in the past so unless he just falls apart or someone goes really nuts here at the end I think Rinne will end up with it.

Lyons71

Jun 27, 2003
Fullerton, CA
Visit site
As a ducks fan since the beginning: in my opinion, he’s had the best season of any ducks goalie ever (regular season).

Our team has been so bad, and he has been lights out. If he played like this a couple years ago, the ducks would’ve won a cup.

All that said, Vezina usually goes to a guy who has 40+ wins, so I won’t wxpect anything.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Gibson is the only reason the team will make the playoffs. He's masked injury, horrific coaching and an inconsistent group on the backend.

The only guy close to Gibson in terms of team importance is Getzlaf.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
The voting this year will be interesting. In all of the advanced stats Gibson is having at minimum a top three season, but will voters look at wins, GAA, and shutouts more?

Goalie stats and pitcher stats are pretty analogous to me, and baseball has had a revolution in awards voting for the cy young that the NHL hasn't found just yet.

GMs do the voting though and there's not a chance half of them look at goaltending advanced stats. That being said with GMs doing the voting you don't get as much East Coast bias and absolutely idiotic votes.

DREGER21

Mar 26, 2018
I've been to 100+ games at Bell MTS Centre. Gibson's performance last Friday against the Jets was the best performance by a goaltender I've witnessed. Game could easily have been 7-2 or 8-2. Don't think he'll get a Vezina nomination... but I shudder to think where the Ducks would be without him.

Reactions: Lyons71 and HanSolo

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
Let's have him be close but not win until he signs his new contract, THEN have him start winning the Vezinas ;)

No shot, but for what the trophy "actually means", he should be in the running for the Hart. Take away Rinne and Nashville is still a great team with a system any G usually flourishes in; take away Gibson, esp. in the injury-crazy first half, and Ducks are bottom of the league this year.

ducks8

Mar 27, 2009
Riverside CA
I've been to 100+ games at Bell MTS Centre. Gibson's performance last Friday against the Jets was the best performance by a goaltender I've witnessed. Game could easily have been 7-2 or 8-2. Don't think he'll get a Vezina nomination... but I shudder to think where the Ducks would be without him.
Shoot, it could have easily been 6-1 after the first haha giving the ducks way to much credit there

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
Gibson has probably gotten enough attention to steal a few votes, but he won't be a finalist and he doesn't have a chance at beating a guy like Rinne. If the trophy was only based on the last two months though, it'd be Gibson's to lose.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Excellent thread. Well deserved recognition to one of the games best Goaltenders.

You can see why Andersen was dealt with how Gibson has come on this year. Always had huge potential.

In retrospect the Ducks Mgt deserve a lot of credit getting him as a drop down in the Tyler Biggs deal that sent Rakell and this pick#39 to the Ducks for Gibson.

Won the gold medal for under Housley at the world's I recall. Now having a Vezina caliber year.

Well done!

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Excellent thread. Well deserved recognition to one of the games best Goaltenders.

You can see why Andersen was dealt with how Gibson has come on this year. Always had huge potential.

In retrospect the Ducks Mgt deserve a lot of credit getting him as a drop down in the Tyler Biggs deal that sent Rakell and this pick#39 to the Ducks for Gibson.

Won the gold medal for under Housley at the world's I recall. Now having a Vezina caliber year.

Well done!

Andersen was also dealt because he wanted over $5M while Gibson was signed for $2.3M. Money definitely factored into it as well as Gibson being the better goalie.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

Well done!

1.) Past the absolute win of getting Getzlaf and Perry pretty low in the 2003 draft I'd say that's the best draft success for the Ducks ever. Rakell is a 30 goal 60 point quality forward and Gibson is a top notch goaltender. Tyler Biggs can't even hit a PPG in the ECHL.

2.) He won gold at the WJC setting new tournament records for an American goaltender. He helped USA in the bronze at the World Championships.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
1.) Past the absolute win of getting Getzlaf and Perry pretty low in the 2003 draft I'd say that's the best draft success for the Ducks ever. Rakell is a 30 goal 60 point quality forward and Gibson is a top notch goaltender. Tyler Biggs can't even hit a PPG in the ECHL.

2.) He won gold at the WJC setting new tournament records for an American goaltender. He helped USA in the bronze at the World Championships.
Andersen was also dealt because he wanted over $5M while Gibson was signed for $2.3M. Money definitely factored into it as well as Gibson being the better goalie.

And with Andersen deal, The Ducks got Sam Steel with that pick.

Gibson I recall from the 2011 draft as one of the top goaltending prospects. Ducks did really well there with the trade down. Obviously at this point, it was totally worth it.

Gibson was terrific recently against the Jets. Total difference maker. Ducks should had not gotten a pt in that game, but Gibson got them one.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
This game vs Vancouver is as good evidence as any to how much trash Gibson has to deal with to keep his team alive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad