Gibson and Vezina Trophy

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
My apologies if there is another thread about it or if it comes up regularly on the mainboards. Im not often in here.

a month ago it seemed like Vezina was Vasilievskys to lose, but now Im not so sure.

Where do people see Gibson in the race? I've always liked him even though he kind of got in the way of Andersen in Anaheim. Looking back at that duel, I think Anaheim and Gibson is a better fit than Andersen/Anaheim was at any point and I think Andersen is doing fine in Toronto given the challenges in defense and continuity.

Looking at the Ducks and their injury list during the season (Gibson included) I find it remarkable they are in the race of a playoffspot in a tight western conference.

Is it just me or does Gibson deserve some considering for Vezina?

Reactions: Getzmonster

Beantown Beatdown

Sep 10, 2007
Hamilton
I don't follow Anaheim at all but looking at the numbers he's just barely cracking the top 10 in all the major categories. I'm sure he's been very vital to his teams success but he's not gonna win with those stats. Right now I'd have it Rinne, Fleury, and Hellebuyck 1-2-3.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
He is the only reason the Ducks are in a playoff position. Vezina is more about numbers though so I doubt it.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
There has been a thread yes.
I don't follow Anaheim at all but looking at the numbers he's just barely cracking the top 10 in all the major categories. I'm sure he's been very vital to his teams success but he's not gonna win with those stats.

No he won't. Honestly I doubt he'll be a finalist but he'll grab some votes. Gibson would have much better stats if Anaheim's defensive system didn't suffer a total collapse this year. It's not just the volume of shots he faces but the quality. Anaheim really doesn't deserve his talent *this year*

If it weren't for him (and to a lesser extent Miller) the Ducks would be prime contenders to get Dahlin playing like this. He always had the potential to be great but he's there now. He's an excellent goalie whose team lets him get shelled every single night. It's like they go from playing exceptional defense to protect Gibson when he was coming in, and now that he's more capable of fending for himself they look to him to be the be all end of goal against prevention. No middle ground.

Last edited:

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Rinne is pretty much a lock to win, but the other 2 finalist spots are wide open. Gibson, Hellebuyck, Fleury, Vas, Bob and Quick all have a chance.

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
I think the finalists should be Rinne, Bob and Hellebuyck.

I don't follow Anaheim at all but looking at the numbers he's just barely cracking the top 10 in all the major categories. I'm sure he's been very vital to his teams success but he's not gonna win with those stats. Right now I'd have it Rinne, Fleury, and Hellebuyck 1-2-3.

He has a .926 Save %. How is that barely cracking top 10?

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Way too much competition for the Vezina this season. There's like 5 guys who all looked like they could win it at various points this season.

It's going to be a bummer for a few guys, no matter who wins. Because there's lots of goalies in that range right now. If Gibson is there or not, I don't know. But he hasn't done enough to pass all of them.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
The voting this year will be interesting. In all of the advanced stats Gibson is having at minimum a top three season, but will voters look at wins, GAA, and shutouts more?

Goalie stats and pitcher stats are pretty analogous to me, and baseball has had a revolution in awards voting for the cy young that the NHL hasn't found just yet.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
i don't see him winning the vezina. top 3 this year (in order) will probably be rinne, kinkaid, and bobrovsky

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
Hopefully a finalist but he won't win.

Anaheim would be in play for Dahlin if it weren't for Gibson.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
he deserves some nominations for sure. i think he'll be a dark horse candidate and will finish 5th in voting

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Rinne will win it, but anyone that has watched Gibson play this year would prob say he deservers to be a finalist.... his base stats arnt super impressive 30-17-7, 2.45 GAA, 926 save %, and 4 shutouts.... but when you consider a lot of Anaheim players have missed chunks of games and the types of saves hes been making on a night to night basis, hes been amazing. Just go back and watch the ducks vs Winnipeg game... he was under siege for literally the whole game and stole a point.

Its rinnes to lose, baring a breakdown by him he should win easily.... but after him its kinda a toss up between 4 or 5 guys.

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
my initial thought was “Christopher Gibson for the Vezina? Pleeeeease...”

No chance for John, but he’s cemented himself as a legit starter.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
my initial thought was “Christopher Gibson for the Vezina? Pleeeeease...”

No chance for John, but he’s cemented himself as a legit starter.
There's a far cry from being an established starter and being the kind of difference maker Gibson is. In light of Anaheim's near total ineptitude defensively, the fact that he's kept Anaheim in playoff position is remarkable

Reactions: Rec T and sdgulls

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
I understand that a lot of you don't watch Gibson regularly and only look at his stats, which is all most people really can do, but this guy has been nothing short of incredible for us. We had a near AHL lineup until December and he kept us in it. I personally think he should be a finalist, with Rinne winning it, but he's pretty clearly the Ducks' MVP.
My avatar says it all.

Reactions: PCDiesel

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
I don't think he'll be a finalist, and I'm okay with it tbh

Rinne and others have earned their spots, and Gibsons numbers don't wow.

BUT.....he is the only reason we are still in the playoff race, and I'm thrilled
With his play, and the other guys are great....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad