Signing(s): Giants sign Jeff Samardzija to 5 year/90 M deal

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
If this is that rumoured 100 mil contract then that's awful after the year he had.

EDIT: Didn't see the 2nd twitter post. 18 mil per year over 5 years is still really bad.

Last edited:

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
That's market value but looks like overpayment. Just not a fan of Samardzija.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Lol. This is terrible. You would think teams would learn after the Porcello contract, but I guess not.

BCS

Feb 18, 2008
It's a good match. The Giants play quality defense and their park stifles offense, so Samardzija's numbers should be in for a bounce back. Plus, he eats a lot of innings.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
I see Shark having a bounce back season with San Francisco. Still not a fan of the contract, however.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
It's a good match. The Giants play quality defense and their park stifles offense, so Samardzija's numbers should be in for a bounce back. Plus, he eats a lot of innings.

I don't doubt that Samardzija is going to bounce back, but to guarantee 90m to a pitcher who allowed the most runs, hits and HRs in the AL is preposterous.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Indifferent about it.

Im happy we signed a pitcher, but the money is too much for my liking. Pretty much a knee-jerk reaction after missing out on ZG.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
The Giants needed somebody so I'm not too mad about this contract. I just saw in the report that he had a 9.6 strikeout rate per 9 so that's decent and he will eat up innings, especially at a pitchers park like AT&T. He could be in line for a bounce back year and in the 2 hole, that's decent. I would have preferred Cuato or even Miller at this point, but at least the Giants did something.

BCS

Feb 18, 2008
I don't doubt that Samardzija is going to bounce back, but to guarantee 90m to a pitcher who allowed the most runs, hits and HRs in the AL is preposterous.

It's the cost of doing business these days. The value of this contract isn't surprising. Tim Dierkes of MLBTR predicted 5/80 weeks ago. If the Giants didn't give it to him, someone else would have. At least he's going to a team whose defense and ballpark will help extract as much value out of the deal as possible.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
It's the cost of doing business these days. The value of this contract isn't surprising. Tim Dierkes of MLBTR predicted 5/80 weeks ago. If the Giants didn't give it to him, someone else would have. At least he's going to a team whose defense and ballpark will help extract as much value out of the deal as possible.

It's simply not a wise strategy to build a rotation from FA. The market for pitching is far too inflated.

BCS

Feb 18, 2008
Supplementing ≠ building. They have an ace in Bumgarner, one who's signed to a sweetheart of a deal for several more years. Throwing market value deals at solid complements (i.e. Samardzija and another second-tier type like Leake or Iwakuma) is hardly the end of the world.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
It's simply not a wise strategy to build a rotation from FA. The market for pitching is far too inflated.

Yes but the Giants don't have any MLB ready pitching prospects, and lost Voglesong, Hudson and Lincecum to retirement/free agency and need to fill some major holes. Aside form MadBum, all we got is Cain (a few question marks about him) and Heston. Petit if you want to stretch it. They didn't want to give up Duffy for Miller, so here we are.

Besides, its an even year...... :naughty:

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i'm not complaining at all but what the hell are the giants thinking?

i don't see him having a bounce back year at all. that's just ridiculous after that season he had. really don't mind the giants making bad moves though so this is fine with me

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
AT&T park is the hardest place to hit home runs out of. He struggled with that last year. Good move.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
AT&T park is the hardest place to hit home runs out of. He struggled with that last year. Good move.

Gave up a lot in Oakland the year before, too.

This is a boom or bust signing. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Can't assume he'll have as bad of a season as last year.. he should rebound at least a little bit making this not nearly as bad as some of you think.

Giants D > White Sox D

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Don't like the contract but Shark should bounce back well in that ballpark.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Yes but the Giants don't have any MLB ready pitching prospects, and lost Voglesong, Hudson and Lincecum to retirement/free agency and need to fill some major holes. Aside form MadBum, all we got is Cain (a few question marks about him) and Heston. Petit if you want to stretch it. They didn't want to give up Duffy for Miller, so here we are.

Besides, its an even year...... :naughty:

Didn't Peitit leave SF earlier this week?

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Can't assume he'll have as bad of a season as last year.. he should rebound at least a little bit making this not nearly as bad as some of you think.

Giants D > White Sox D

Don Cooper was the biggest issue. Kept making him throw a pitch he was terrible at.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad