Signing(s): Giannis Antetokounmpo signs supermax extension (5 years, $228.2 million)

Sep 19, 2008
@MMC

@The Night King

@Live in the Now

I was hoping Giannis would refuse to re-sign with Milwaukee and join our Lakers with LEBron and AD and his bro. Then the Lakers would never lose again for like 5 years.

I am kind of sad but again this is what people hate about the NBA. Small market teams draft a good player who ends up leaving to chase rings elsewhere. Credit to Giannis for showing some loyalty to the team that drafted him.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Congratulations Bucks and the City of Milwaukee refreshing to see a star player stay with his team. I'm not a fan of players joining other stars in big market cities it's ruining the game for me. Now build around him and get that championship !!

Reactions: Mrfenn92
Sep 19, 2008
He can tell the difference between being a winner and being on the winning team.
The NBA declined in part because people were tired of seeing small market teams get shafted by larger market teams. All too often bigger teams would just poach their talent without giving them ANYTHING in return. LeBron leaving for Miami, AD leaving for LA, etc. Even Harden throwing a fit about OKC, going to Houston, and now Harden is throwing a fit and unhappy and wants to go to a bigger market to chase rings.

And in all of this you have Giannis who is loyal to his franchise and wants to stick it out with them even though they are hardly a big market.

Props to him. This is what the NBA DESPERATELY needed.

Reactions: 82Ninety42011

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
That's a legitimately great thing to see.

The way Giannis talked about the city you could tell he definitely didn't want to leave by choice. Only if the Bucks didn't attempt to compete with him aboard.

He probably looked at the Jrue trade and thought while that might be not quite enough to get them over the hump, they're still doing what he asked and are trying to build around him more.

About time a star bucks the trend and stays with the team who drafted him...no pun intended.n

Sep 19, 2008
Happy for Bucks fans!

With that said, if Giannis wants out in 2 years, it will happen. That is the NBA nowadays.
You don't see anything like Jordan anymore who stuck with the Bulls through the beginning and all the losses to Detroit to become a superstar. Nowadays players collude with each other to get rings. It started with Boston's shit they did in the late 2000's and continued with Miami / GS.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
The NBA declined in part because people were tired of seeing small market teams get shafted by larger market teams. All too often bigger teams would just poach their talent without giving them ANYTHING in return. LeBron leaving for Miami, AD leaving for LA, etc. Even Harden throwing a fit about OKC, going to Houston, and now Harden is throwing a fit and unhappy and wants to go to a bigger market to chase rings.

And in all of this you have Giannis who is loyal to his franchise and wants to stick it out with them even though they are hardly a big market.

Props to him. This is what the NBA DESPERATELY needed.

TBF to LeBron, he did come back to Cleveland and win that championship after the "Decision" fiasco, but it's unfortunate that so many others took his early example. Giannis may finally be the one that breaks it, but we'll see. I always thought that playing in a big or small market was less important these days due to the internet giving widespread name rec to superstars regardless of where they played, and maybe having a few more examples of this will turn the tide.

Reactions: John Price
Sep 19, 2008
TBF to LeBron, he did come back to Cleveland and win that championship after the "Decision" fiasco, but it's unfortunate that so many others took his early example. Giannis may finally be the one that breaks it, but we'll see. I always thought that playing in a big or small market was less important these days due to the internet giving widespread name rec to superstars regardless of where they played, and maybe having a few more examples of this will turn the tide.
I'll say it again but NBA players have a disturbing lack of loyalty to the team that went out of their way to draft them, especially if it was a small market team. That's why winning the #1 pick as a small market team like NO can be so stupid. If Zion wanted to he could just quit after his contract ended and go collude somewhere else and it would be so stupid but typical of the players of his "generation" to buddy buddy up and buy rings. Wasn't AD a #1 pick too? Didn't he leave NO after wasting his career there?

These small teams can't retain talent or compete which is kind of stupid for a league as big as the NBA.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
You don't see anything like Jordan anymore who stuck with the Bulls through the beginning and all the losses to Detroit to become a superstar. Nowadays players collude with each other to get rings. It started with Boston's shit they did in the late 2000's and continued with Miami / GS.

Moving wasn't as easy back then, Michael (CBA and MJ was on a 7 year contract) would have bolted if he could have, he constantly threw the Bulls FO under the bus his first seasons; if Krause didn't get him Phil, Scottie and Grant he wouldn't have stayed that's for sure
I can totally understand Lebron moving to Miami, he dragged a sorry ass team to the Finals and the Cavs FO did nothing to imptove the team
Unfortunately great players have that pressure to win ringz because apprently it's the criteria to rank them which is stupid but it's there
We should not blame Lebron but the mainstream media and fans who keep pushig the ringZ argument

Last edited:
Reactions: Deficient Mode

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
LeBron only gets shit on because of the way he handled the move.

Fans with more than a singular brain cells will be able to tell you he was completely justified in leaving when the best the Cavs could put around him were a long past expired Shaq and washed Antwan Jamison.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Yeah, Boston is the first to do it :rolleyes:

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Moving wasn't as easy back then, Michael (CBA and MJ was on a 7 year contract) would have bolted if he could have, he constantly threw the Bulls FO under the bus his first seasons; if Krause didn't get him Phil, Scottie and Grant he wouldn't have stayed that's for sure
I can totally understand Lebron'S moving to Miami, he dragged a sorry ass team to the Finals and the Cavs FO did nothing to imptove the team
Unfortunately great players have that pressure to win ringz because apprently it's the criteria to ran them which is stupid but it's there
We should not blame Lebron but the mainstream media and fans who keep pushig the ringZ argument

Yep. Jordan had a top 30 all time player and perfect complement to his skill set drafted 3 years after he came into the league and right as he was hitting his peak, too. Cavaliers did a terrible job drafting and surrounding Lebron with talent in his first stint there. Perhaps only surpassed by how badly Minnesota handled KG in NBA history.

Milwaukee has shot themselves in the foot with their cap management the past couple years but they've basically done a good job at surrounding Giannis with a good team. Maybe Lebron would have stayed in Cleveland if he had had the equivalent talent to what Giannis has now. It's hard to build a good team and keep a superstar happy, but it's not an inevitability that they leave. Every player has a different personality too.

Reactions: Power Man

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
If this kind of thing happened more regularly I may not have kicked basketball to the curb so emphatically when I was a little kid. Love to see it. Part of the reason I haven't been able to bring myself around to watching a single Lakers game since I moved here is how devastated little kid me was when Shaq signed with them.

Reactions: John Price

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad