Prospect Info: Gianni Fairbrother a.k.a. Giovanni Fairbrudder

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
We wont solve that position with later round picks. By the time they are ready to solve anything we will have a problem on the right side.
While I agree that top picks usually play sooner, reminder that we have Mete playing top pair @ 20 and he was a late pick.

Agree that by the time these guys are ready I sure hope we have solved LD!

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
While I agree that top picks usually play sooner, reminder that we have Mete playing top pair @ 20 and he was a late pick.

Agree that by the time these guys are ready I sure hope we have solved LD!

When i say ready i'm talking about playing like solid top 4. I like Mete and imo he's our best LHD but ideally he would either play on a 3rd pairing or in the AHL. If he ever blossom into a solid top 4 i don't think it will be before another 2-3 years. We really need top acquire a top 4 LHD this season.

Reactions: japhi

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
More like another Lyle Odelein. Physical defender with a big shot. Handles the puck ok. Skates well.
Sign me up! I forget who we were playing against but it was playoff time. Odelein popped the puck into the face of a player who was obviously taking a run at him. He was called for it and left the ice while laughing his ass off.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I wasn't originally sure if this was the guy that Stive Morgan had pegged as the Wyatt Wylie of this years draft. Good to see that it was; I don't pay much attention to Everett since Scherbak and Hart left mainly due to Constantine being so f***ing boring.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Why? Both put up similar numbers in their draft years. 40 point in 69 games for Brook. 36 point in 60 games for Fairbrother. Both same size from same WHL league

Those are just stats, they are very different players. Brook went a round higher than Fairbrother because he demonstrated superior puck skills. Some even had Brook as a late 1st rounder which is something that nobody ever considered with Fairbrother.

There is a reason that Brook had already played with the U17 and U18 teams at the time of his draft as opposed to not playing in either like Fairbrother. Brook was also 9 months younger yet was the highest scoring defender on his team as opposed to 9 months older and 3rd on his team amongst defenders as in Gianni's case.

I think this was a good pick but I was aware of Brooks upside when we took him just as I am aware of Fairbrother's offensive limitations. Just another example of how stats can be misleading.

Yoshidas Island

TY for the memories Yosh :'(
Jan 2, 2015
I wasn't originally sure if this was the guy that Stive Morgan had pegged as the Wyatt Wylie of this years draft. Good to see that it was; I don't pay much attention to Everett since Scherbak and Hart left mainly due to Constantine being so ****ing boring.
At least Constantine is gone now

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Clearly not if they're making picks like Cichy, Crisp, Pezzetta, Staum, Henrikson etc.

I know they're not all gonna be diamonds but every year there's at least 1 WTF pick that looks bad even at the time.

Excuse me, Mike Cichy is the Polish Gretzky! He has the highest PPG amongst the players with 100+ games (EP has a couple over him, but they are missing gp while still having points) in the PHL.

Seriously though, I think sometimes they fall in love with a player tools after 1-2 of the best games and become partial. It happens all the time with HF scouting people, so why not the pros?

Reactions: Stive Morgan

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
When i say ready i'm talking about playing like solid top 4. I like Mete and imo he's our best LHD but ideally he would either play on a 3rd pairing or in the AHL. If he ever blossom into a solid top 4 i don't think it will be before another 2-3 years. We really need top acquire a top 4 LHD this season.

Mete is our best LHD but ideally he plays in the AHL?

Okay

BobbyShehan

May 29, 2008
NJ
I like the Odelein comparison. He gets into fights to defend his teammates, most times against bigger guys and often wins. He's a fight/month, strong character guy with enough offensive and defensive skills to play long minutes. Not an easy guy to play against... something the Habs need.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I think people might be sleeping on him. Love what Stive had to say. Fairbrother might really explode next season with a bigger offensive role. He didn’t produce that much less than Lassi Thomson. He’s got an edge and is a very good skater. He can hopefully be what we wanted Dalton Thrower to be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad