TV: Ghosts (American version)

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
Does anyone else here watch this show?

I liked the recent stretch with the assistant and the car ghost, especially the one with the trap (which will probably come in handy to move ghosts around later).

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I am big fan of UK version which for some reason season 4 never seems to be coming to US (HBO Max has yet to add it)

So when I got Paramount+ a few months back I watched US version after having previously only seen a bit of an episode

Took a while but came around to liking it after a few rough early episodes.

Overall, some of the US ghosts are improvement or as good as UK equivalent and I actually like the 2 leads (Samantha & Jay) in US series on par or slightly better than UK series leads (Mike and Allison). I would say Samantha = Alison while Jay slightly > Mike

Flower is terrible and annoying character though and Pete is inferior to UK Pat

Of course, at end of day British Humor vs American Humor so the series divergence is largely related to that.

US Office was far superior to UK Office IMO but right now I still like UK Ghosts over US Ghosts but season 2 has certainly been good for US Ghosts and if it continues on trek of further diverging from UK ghost and going its own way it certainly could end up like US office as superior series

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
Thor and Hetty are my dual favorites and then probably Trevor. The other ones I mostly like but don't love, but nailing it with McIver and Ambudkar as Sam and Jay helps make up for it. A funny husband also allowed them to make a ghost in Sassipas the truest straight man in the series imo. I think Flower is one of the hardest to take seriously due to not being lucid half the time, if she learns a life lesson she's just going to forget it in a few minutes. I'd consider making her the main character ghost that gets sucked off first.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
I really like the show, it's relaxing and wholesome, with a few well executed dirty jokes every now and then

Flower's problem is the casting imo, she's just not very good, but the writing for her character is great (reminds me of Creed a bit). Same with Isaac's love interest, forget his name but realllly bad. I mean the acting is spotty in general but you kind of adjust

I agree Trevor, Thor and Hetty are definitely the best ghosts. As far as acting their role; Trevor, Jay, Sam , Thor in that order imo

Fripp

Sep 6, 2005
Portland, OR
We watched the UK version and enjoy the US version - actually, it's probably the only network comedy we watch. Jay is definitely more tolerable than Mike. Mike is just so stupid to the point that he's a barely functioning adult. I like that Jay is leaning into the jokes about how he kind of knows the ghosts' personalities second hand and has one-sided conversations with them. Both shows are at their best when they dig into the back stories of the ghosts. Even when the writing is weak, or her character is meh, Rose MacIver is crazy charming and 10/10 cute, which can carry things (just like when iZombie started to suck). So there's that.

Reactions: Babe Ruth

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Good thing the US version exists and has found its groove

Sucks to see UK series wrap it up after 5 seasons. Will be interesting to see how they conclude things

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad