GF vs GA

Out East

Jan 11, 2013
Halifax NS
I remember last season thinking we weren't as bad as our record indicated so I went back and looked at the standings, particularly GF vs GA.

Here is a link if you want to look for yourself:

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/standings?year=season_2011

Our record last year was an anomaly in the sense that generally speaking over the course of an 82 game schedule the standings will fall in line with GF vs GA.

However we finished 20th in that category at -14 and 28th in the standings. Several other teams had significantly worse +/- than we did.

When you consider that, plus the injuries, plus the emergence of the 2 Gally's, the addition of Prust and to a lesser extent Armstrong, and the excellent coaching of Therrien so far and our success is really no surprise.

This year we are tied for 2nd in the conference with Ottawa for +/-

The most shocking turn around team to date this year is Tampa. Nearly worst to first so far.

Have to say I'm quite thankful for the anomaly last year. Welcome aboard Alex G!

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
we blew a lot of leads last year...and sucked in ot.

they're shutting the door and getting the w's. thanks in large part to price in close games!

TheBabysitter*

Montreal was the 2nd most penalized team in the league, just 2 minors away from Philly, we had a struggling PP without Markov, yet like you said we only finished -14...we had 16 losses in shootout that's -16 right there. I've always knew this, I knew the Canadiens would bounce back, especially with Markov and Gionta back. It was just a bad year, look at New jersey and how they missed the playoffs but a year later made it to the Stanley Cup Finals.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Montreal was the 2nd most penalized team in the league, just 2 minors away from Philly, we had a struggling PP without Markov, yet like you said we only finished -14...we had 16 losses in shootout that's -16 right there. I've always knew this, I knew the Canadiens would bounce back, especially with Markov and Gionta back. It was just a bad year, look at New jersey and how they missed the playoffs but a year later made it to the Stanley Cup Finals.

Martin's defensive approach played a large role in the Habs respectable -14 rating. However, it probably also helped account for their losing so many games in OT and winning so few in regulation time.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005

I predict that the Devils won't repeat their run.

bigtimehockeyfan999*

fun fact..we're on pace for 34 wins this year...which is 58 in an 82 game season. :handclap:

Apr 28, 2010
We sucked in the 3rd period last year. I can still remember that vancouver game when the habs led 4-0 and still found a way to lose. Too many of those. But yeah, we weren't really that bad last year, just couldn't close games.

Its nice to see that we've changed that this season.

Out East

Jan 11, 2013
Halifax NS
We lost 16 games in either OT or shoot out which means we won 31 games and had a legit chance to win 16 more which would have been 47.

Anyone who thinks our success so far is a fluke is not paying attention and the "experts" that predicted we'd finish outside the playoffs this year are either haters or not paying attention. Just today a panel of "experts" were discussing the woeful start of the Flyers and were sure they would bounce back and make the playoffs. Book it: They won't. You can win with questionable goaltending and a below average D corps no matter how good your forwards are. See Edmonton Oilers...

Get on the bandwagon boys. These Habs are good now and going to get better...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad