Value of: Getzlaf to CGY

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
So, a hypothetical question in regards to tampering rules:

Let's say Bob receives a lot of calls at the TDL for Getz and Getz is willing to move for a few months, to get the Ducks some nice assets, then return to them on a 1 or 2 year deal in the summer as a UFA.

Would it be considered tampering, if while a Duck, Getz speaks at a press conference to the fans, explaining that he will be back and that he feels like this is an opportunity for him to help the Ducks' future out and he'll only be gone a few months.

Ignore the "he would never say that, team wouldn't do that" etc.... from a purely 'tampering' sense - would this be allowed or does it violate any rules?

Ledge And Dairy

So, a hypothetical question in regards to tampering rules:

Let's say Bob receives a lot of calls at the TDL for Getz and Getz is willing to move for a few months, to get the Ducks some nice assets, then return to them on a 1 or 2 year deal in the summer as a UFA.

Would it be considered tampering, if while a Duck, Getz speaks at a press conference to the fans, explaining that he will be back and that he feels like this is an opportunity for him to help the Ducks' future out and he'll only be gone a few months.

Ignore the "he would never say that, team wouldn't do that" etc.... from a purely 'tampering' sense - would this be allowed or does it violate any rules?
Well that would significantly lower his trade value for 1 thing. Not only is his cap hit high but also publicly announcing that he fully plans on returning. seems kind of foolish to do that regardless of if it's deemed tampering or not by the league.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
First off Getzlaf pretty much said that he plans on finishing his career in Anaheim, Sorry but the Flames aren't legit cup contenders and i only see Getzlaf waiving for a legit contender. And his wife being from the Anaheim area. Fat chance i see Calgary in his future.

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
Well that would significantly lower his trade value for 1 thing. Not only is his cap hit high but also publicly announcing that he fully plans on returning. seems kind of foolish to do that regardless of if it's deemed tampering or not by the league.

Sorry, I meant more as, he would do this when they have a deal in place already - to soothe any angry Ducks fans. That brings up the question if it also makes any difference if he says it 5 minutes before the trade goes through, or 5 minutes after (ie. as a Duck, or when officially traded and is a member of another roster). I'm just curious if it'd cause any issue to the league or not, is all.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
People speculate far too much about players "going home". How often does it legit happen? While I'd expect IF Getzlaf wanted to move, he'd likely consider Calgary, I don't see why he wouldn't stay with Anaheim unless they pushed him out the door.

Ledge And Dairy

People speculate far too much about players "going home". How often does it legit happen? While I'd expect IF Getzlaf wanted to move, he'd likely consider Calgary, I don't see why he wouldn't stay with Anaheim unless they pushed him out the door.
It was never about him "going home" I said Calgary would be 1 of the few teams he would waive to. Yes people ahve said he wont play for another team but not 1 person has actually listed a trade value as the title says

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
It was never about him "going home" I said Calgary would be 1 of the few teams he would waive to. Yes people ahve said he wont play for another team but not 1 person has actually listed a trade value as the title says

He has a NMC and has said he won't be waiving. Reputable sources have said the Ducks won't bother asking him to. There's no further discussion necessary.

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
He has a NMC and has said he won't be waiving. Reputable sources have said the Ducks won't bother asking him to. There's no further discussion necessary.

I remember an interview where he said he WOULD waive it if Bob asks him; but, Bob will never ask him so it comes to the same thing :)

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

I mean, that premise is flawed from the start. We don't know if he would waive to go to Calgary, and my immediate thought is that no, no he would not. He's going to retire here. Er, there.

Which, unfortunately, makes the question of trade value kind of moot. His trade value would be zero, because a trade wouldn't happen. No team will offer something for a player they won't get. Do you want a hypothetical situation where it could happen? Okay, so is it just Calgary? Is it a list of 5 teams? Is it every team? All of those things would impact his trade value in this scenario.

It would probably be tricky to even speculate on teams he would maybe consider, if he were willing, because you'd need to ask what his motivation is. Going for a Cup? Does Calgary really qualify then? Are they really a year or two away from being a Cup favorite? So, on that list I'm a little skeptical. I don't like the nostalgia angle, because playing for the Hitmen isn't playing for the Flames. Working with young talent? He can do that in Anaheim(especially if Zegras, and whomever Anaheim drafts this season plays), and almost any other team.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
With Calgary's cap at what it is at, Lucic OR 40% RET would need to be involved...

I would be interested in discussing the fair value for the trade. Here's my attempt

Lucic
Dube/Pelletier(Ana's choice)
Kylington/Valimaki(Ana's choice)
1st 21
1st/2nd 22(playoffs?)
2nd/3rd 23(Getz performance)

For

Getzlaf 20% retained

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad