Value of: Getzlaf to CGY

Ledge And Dairy

Is Calgary in a position to add over 8mil in salary heads up?

They already dont have a ton of flexibility and they have to offer raises to Mangiapane, Dube, Kylington, and some other D men.
Dube is not RFA, Kylington won't get a lot (1.5M maybe), Mango will get a 2.5-3.5M contract. Anaheim can afford to retain and contracts are prorated as the year goes on.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
The only team Getzlaf would have a shot at waiving for is LA, and purely because they are the only other SoCal team. But Getzlaf seems quite keen on being the first Anaheim lifer, especially with having already won a Cup. Not much reason for him to move at this stage in his career.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I suggest you reread the 2nd half of what I wrote

Dont have to be rude about it. Your respinse erill doesn't answer any questions. Even if 50% retained, Calgary cant afford 4mil in cap. Are you implying that Calgary wait until the deadline then trade for a %50 retained Getzlaf? Because your post just said 'at some point'.

Even then, Calgary would have to move roster players to make the space for him.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
If Ducks have a similar season as this one then for sure getting assets for Getzlaf would be great. He doesn't want to leave OC though and that's fine also.

Reactions: Exit Dose

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Dont have to be rude about it. Your respinse erill doesn't answer any questions. Even if 50% retained, Calgary cant afford 4mil in cap. Are you implying that Calgary wait until the deadline then trade for a %50 retained Getzlaf? Because your post just said 'at some point'.

Even then, Calgary would have to move roster players to make the space for him.

Any moves the Flames, or any other competing teams, are likely to rely on the cap going up. If it doesn't go up, then there won't be many teams adding salary.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Why would the Ducks buy him out?

He is STILL the best forward they have.
The Ducks dont care about the cap at all right now because they are nowhere near it.
His salary goes down next season to just 6 mil.
He is going to be the first Ducks lifer.
Well awesome, just saying CGY isnt going to pay for em at that cap hit

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Any moves the Flames, or any other competing teams, are likely to rely on the cap going up. If it doesn't go up, then there won't be many teams adding salary.

I think the Flames are relying on the cap going up simply to maintain the same caliber of team.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I think the Flames are relying on the cap going up simply to maintain the same caliber of team.

No they are unlikely to sign both Hamonic and Brodie. Frolik is off the books from last year, which takes care of Andersson's raise. Mangiapane requires a raise, but it won't be anything huge. Jankowski will probably walk and be replaced by someone at league minimum.

The Flames got f-ed this year by the Valimaki injury. He was supposed to be a full time NHL-er at near league minimum.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
No they are unlikely to sign both Hamonic and Brodie. Frolik is off the books from last year, which takes care of Andersson's raise. Mangiapane requires a raise, but it won't be anything huge. Jankowski will probably walk and be replaced by someone at league minimum.

The Flames got f-ed this year by the Valimaki injury. He was supposed to be a full time NHL-er at near league minimum.

With all that considered, I think that is a slightly weaker/less experienced Flames team than we saw this year and without a cap increase or significant trade that's going to be about the best team they can ice.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
With all that considered, I think that is a slightly weaker/less experienced Flames team than we saw this year and without a cap increase or significant trade that's going to be about the best team they can ice.
I disagree. I think losing Hamonic will be offset by young dmen getting better.

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
i could see the ducks making him available as a rental at the deadline next year. Depending what type of year he is having, there would be a massive market for him. Would be the best playoff type rental in a while. Big strong centre with a ton of playoff experience. Every team would want him. I would imagine 14/16 playoff teams would be in on him.

First plus young roster player and a stud D prospect. Maybe that Mackey they just signed if he plays well enough.

1st, janko, mackey. Jets would probably beat it tho

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
i could see the ducks making him available as a rental at the deadline next year. Depending what type of year he is having, there would be a massive market for him. Would be the best playoff type rental in a while. Big strong centre with a ton of playoff experience. Every team would want him. I would imagine 14/16 playoff teams would be in on him.

First plus young roster player and a stud D prospect. Maybe that Mackey they just signed if he plays well enough.

1st, janko, mackey. Jets would probably beat it tho

I doubt Jankowski is on the team next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad