Proposal: Getzlaf to CGY

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Message received regarding value - would this go any further?

Getzlaf

Neal (5.75M)
Jankowski (1.7M)
Kylington
2019 1st
2020 1st

Essentially one of the 1st rounders is for taking Neal, so the package for 2+ years of Getzlaf would be Jankowski, Kylington, and a 1st. That is starting to seem like pretty fair value?

Sniperberg

Mar 30, 2017

Getzlaf

Neal (5.75M)
Jankowski (1.7M)
Kylington
2019 1st
2020 1st

Essentially one of the 1st rounders is for taking Neal, so the package for 2+ years of Getzlaf would be Jankowski, Kylington, and a 1st. That is starting to seem like pretty fair value?

No.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA

Getzlaf

Neal (5.75M)
Jankowski (1.7M)
Kylington
2019 1st
2020 1st

You realize when you trade with another team, you need to give them assets they would actually want right? We don't want Neal, not even with a late 1st added to him. We do not need to add another long term contract for a player on the immediate decline. We do not need Jankowski, a possible 30 point center who is pretty much what he is now. Klyington is a fine piece, but not worth that much in exchange for a our franchise center going to a divisional rival. And another late first is not that interesting either. You have to offer pieces that would hurt, which you clearly aren't doing.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017

Getzlaf

Neal (5.75M)
Jankowski (1.7M)
Kylington
2019 1st
2020 1st

You tank the value of the package by adding Neal, but Getzlaf doesn’t fit if you don’t move Neal-type money out. It just doesn’t work

Also, Getzlaf should retire a duck. Anaheim should want him to retire a duck. And if he insists on chasing more cups, they sure as hell won’t move him inside the division, probably not even the conference

JohnnyDrama

Oct 4, 2017
Having Getzlaf spend his whole career and retire as a Duck is much more valuable to the franchise than an offer like this, so no

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

Getzlaf

Neal (5.75M)
Jankowski (1.7M)
Kylington
2019 1st
2020 1st

You went from underpayment to overpayment...

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Holy **** you would say no to that as a flames fan? Wow.

I like Ryan Getzlaf, I might be his biggest proponent that's not a Duck fan on this board. I like the guy, he's always been an ultra stand-up dude and good person every time I interact with him... but in all seriousness, the guy's going to be 34 in a couple months, has never been known as a physical freak, and has had injury problems for the past few seasons. I think Juuso Valimaki is a future 1D in this league.

I think it's one of those things, where one guy puts you over the top for the next 2-3 years; where the other guy will keep you relevant for the next decade +, especially as our 1D is getting older as is.

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I like Ryan Getzlaf, I might be his biggest proponent that's not a Duck fan on this board. I like the guy, he's always been an ultra stand-up dude and good person every time I interact with him... but in all seriousness, the guy's going to be 34 in a couple months, has never been known as a physical freak, and has had injury problems for the past few seasons. I think Juuso Valimaki is a future 1D in this league.

I think it's one of those things, where one guy puts you over the top for the next 2-3 years; where the other guy will keep you relevant for the next decade +, especially as our 1D is getting older as is.
Over the top, as in a cup contender? Isn't that the point?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Over the top, as in a cup contender? Isn't that the point?

Considering a trade would likely be in the:
1st + Valimaki + all kinds of other shit to make happen... I just can't get on board. This teams' already looking like they have a chance.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

Getzlaf

Neal (5.75M)
Jankowski (1.7M)
Kylington
2019 1st
2020 1st

Still not even close. Why would we take a meh D prospect who is nothing we don't already have, another bottom 6 center when we'll have Rowney, Steel, Henrique, Kesler, Shore, and Lundestrom battling for the C spots + Kossila, Kloos, and De Leo in the minors, 2 late 1sts, and one of the worst contracts in the league for our best forward and arguably the best Duck ever, especially to send him to a division rival. Ask yourself that.

Golden Gophers 4649

Minnesota Hockey Fan
Jun 15, 2015
Minneapolis
As the playoffs approach, I think the Flames could use a bit more offensive depth down the middle. Getzlaf is on the decline and I would suspect Anaheim is considering a rebuild. Getzlaf played his junior career in Calgary and might be willing to waive his NMC?

Getzlaf 8.75M

for

James Neal 5.75M
Juuso Valimaki 900k
Austin Czarnik 1.25M
2019 2nd

Thoughts?

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Getzlaf - Bennett
Frolik - Backlund - Ryan
Dube - Jankowski - Hathaway

That feels like a much more balanced lineup for the playoffs.

Thoughts? Is the value way off?

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Still not even close. Why would we take a meh D prospect who is nothing we don't already have, another bottom 6 center when we'll have Rowney, Steel, Henrique, Kesler, Shore, and Lundestrom battling for the C spots + Kossila, Kloos, and De Leo in the minors, 2 late 1sts, and one of the worst contracts in the league for our best forward and arguably the best Duck ever, especially to send him to a division rival. Ask yourself that.
& those 2 firsts from Calgary will be the 29th to 31st pick 2 years in a row. I'm betting on them being among the best next season, especially if they got Getzlaf from us.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

Wait you've interacted with him?

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

Getzlaf missed several weeks last year after taking a puck to the face, otherwise he's really been no more or less durable than your average star player, playing 74,77,77,77 games in the seasons prior to last.

I'd even swing the argument the other way and suggest that Getzlaf seems more likely to age gracefully in a similar manner to Thornton, in that he's always relied more on his combination of vision, hands and reach/size a lot more than his skating.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
The Flames are 1st in the west with four point per game forwards who are all 25 or younger and they are regularly dressing four dmen who are 21 or younger.

We don't need to start bleeding young assets in order to add a 33 year old who would be the 6th highest scorer on our roster while also being the highest paid guy on the roster. We need to keep assets like Valimaki and our 1st so we can keep our window open as long as possible.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
the value is probably closer if you take Getzlaf out of the offer and end up just paying Anaheim with Valimaki to take Neal's contract

The original offer is garbage but Neal despite not scoring is not a total lost. The Flames do not need to give away their top prospect to get rid of him. He adds good depth up front.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad