Getzlaf/Ladd vs. Stone/Fehr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
There's no doubting that the chemistry shown between himself and Ryan Getzlaf over the last season and a half was a big reason why Andrew Ladd was named to this years junior squad.

Looking at another duo who have shown amazing chemistry is Ryan Stone and Eric Fehr. Their offensive dominance of the WHL this season has been impressive, to say the least.

How much would you say that having one duo (Getzlaf and Ladd) had an impact on the other (Stone and Fehr) not making it?

Chemistry is definitely a huge part of this tournament, however with the talent and depth on this club, do you feel it was Getzlaf and Ladd that pushed Stone and Fehr off the roster?

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
I was a supporter of both duo. I feel Ladd takes too much abuse on these boards.

That being said, I wish all four had made it. There was a lot of depth but I have trouble with the decision. I have been a big fan of Stone for years and I think even if he had half the points he has, he brings some nice intangibles.

I'm not the biggest Fehr fan but his pure talent/scoring touch is undeniable. Both players could have helped but then again, the number of forwards who could have helped that were cut or didn't get an invite was impressive.

Some nice chemistry can bail you out, particularly early in a tournament. Since Canada is usally a team that can overcome adversity early, chemistry may not be as big a factor as a weaker team.

When this tournament is over, I will be curious to see Fehr and Stone play Sutter's team. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to make him regret his decision and came up big.

Bully73

Jul 22, 2004
Brandon
Vlad The Impaler said:
When this tournament is over, I will be curious to see Fehr and Stone play Sutter's team. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to make him regret his decision and came up big.
Already has happened as the Wheat Kings beat Red Deer 3-2 on Friday night. Fehr with two goals and an assist including a highlight reel shorthanded goal in overtime and Stone with two assists and tonnes of hustle and big checks. You could really tell they were motivated to stick it to Sutter's team - they will only have one more chance this season (January 28 in Red Deer) to play the Rebels and that's a shame as these two teams play hard against each other and the Fehr/Stone situation just adds to the excitement.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
I wanted BOTH duos on the team!!

1 Crosby - Bergeron - Perry/Colliton
2 Richards' line from '04
3 Stone - Carter - Fehr
4 Ladd - Getzlaf - Colliton/Dixon

I still like my team better... at least until they bring home the gold!!

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
mazmin said:
I wanted BOTH duos on the team!!

1 Crosby - Bergeron - Perry/Colliton
2 Richards' line from '04
3 Stone - Carter - Fehr
4 Ladd - Getzlaf - Colliton/Dixon

I still like my team better... at least until they bring home the gold!!
I agree, I would have liked a line-up like this...

Crosby-Bergeron-Perry
Dawes-Richards-Stewart
Ladd-Carter-Getzlaf
Colliton-Stone-Fehr/Dixon

I think that fourth line would still be a solid shutdown line, especially with Dixon on it.

Big Deaner

Mar 6, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
The Old Master said:
did stone and fehr even get to play together in the tryouts?

No they didn't. That's what I find odd, I mean they were together in the ADT series against the Russians, where they showed fantastic chemistry and scoring touch, but were not put together for any of the three games during camp. But then again neither Getlzlaf and Ladd nor McCarthur and Meyer skated together in camp. IMO, chemistry had little to do when Sutter was making the final selections. Perry and Fehr were battling for one spot (offensive forward/sniper) Perry had the better camp and won the spot, fair enough. Stone was battling 7 guys for spots on the third and fourth lines as energy line/defensive shut down guys, those other guys being McCarthur, Fraser, Dixon, Ladd, Bolland, Boyd and Meyer. Sutter must have believed all of McCarthur, Fraser, Dixon and Ladd had superior camps to Stone. This iis contrary to alot of the reports that were posted here but then again Sutter and Mackasey were also in person at the games and probably got a good look at the guys. I won't question any decisions if they win.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Big Deaner said:
No they didn't. That's what I find odd, I mean they were together in the ADT series against the Russians, where they showed fantastic chemistry and scoring touch, but were not put together for any of the three games during camp. But then again neither Getlzlaf and Ladd nor McCarthur and Meyer skated together in camp. IMO, chemistry had little to do when Sutter was making the final selections. Perry and Fehr were battling for one spot (offensive forward/sniper) Perry had the better camp and won the spot, fair enough. Stone was battling 7 guys for spots on the third and fourth lines as energy line/defensive shut down guys, those other guys being McCarthur, Fraser, Dixon, Ladd, Bolland, Boyd and Meyer. Sutter must have believed all of McCarthur, Fraser, Dixon and Ladd had superior camps to Stone. This iis contrary to alot of the reports that were posted here but then again Sutter and Mackasey were also in person at the games and probably got a good look at the guys. I won't question any decisions if they win.
it seems to me , in a wjc where you play a lot of players that haven't played together you would try to put guys together that know each other as much as you can. chemistry IS a big deal. sometimes it takes awhile to get to know each other,but buy the time that happens the championship is over.

Big Deaner

Mar 6, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
The Old Master said:
it seems to me , in a wjc where you play a lot of players that haven't played together you would try to put guys together that know each other as much as you can. chemistry IS a big deal. sometimes it takes awhile to get to know each other,but buy the time that happens the championship is over.

I completely agree with you, chemistry should be an important factor when making the selections. What I was attempting to prove was that chemistry played little part in the decisions that Sutter made. If chemistry was so huge to Sutter he would have at least put Stone and Fehr together for one of the exhibition games but he didnt.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Big Deaner said:
IMO, chemistry had little to do when Sutter was making the final selections.

Winnipeg Free Press, Sunday, December 19, 2004

"You can't win with an all-star team", said Sutter. "You've got to win with the right team. You've got to have character. You've got to have the guys who jell together quickly, guys who have leadership and are mentally strong. That's what we have."

- Brent Sutter

Chemistry obviously had a lot to do with his selections. Why no Fehr and Stone? Dunno, guess they didn't have a good camp.

dmacinnis

Nov 5, 2004
For what its worth

Ladd has something to prove!
Ladd-Andrew is a player with a rather interesting background. At 17, he was playing tier 2 hockey in the BCHL. After the Calgary Hitmen acquired his playing rights he made his debut with the WHL Hitmen as an 18 year old. Andrew has always been a player who has had the tools to be a contributing force on any team. He is a strong skater with good puck skills. He was able to capitalize on his opportunity by playing with other highly skilled players and has never looked back. A dedicated and relentless worker is the qualities that will allow Andrew to have a realistic chance to be regular in the NHL. The only question mark for Andrew is his lack of experience. He has traveled a slightly different route than most other first round draft picks. Having little experience with under-17 and under-18 tournaments and little international experience is something that Ladd will look to gain from the WJC. The ability for Ladd to rise to the exposure and pressure that goes along with the WJC is still something to be determined. If Ladd is able to successfully demonstrate his skill, determination and hard work on the world stage he will then have demonstrated the ability to climb another important hurdle in preparation for the professional level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad