Getting tired of these Western Conference games!

Cardds*

Ok so the Flyers finally played an Eastern Conference team in what feels like forever, now they gotta play Minnesota, yet another western conference game on the road!? And it doesn't stop there, there's still 10 more western conference games coming this month, February and March! I feel like this whole first half of the season has been nothing but western conference teams, especially December.

Why do we have to play EVERY western conference team TWICE for goodness sake? Especially since the divisions are larger now, there should be more eastern conference games let alone division games.

The schedule should alternate every year where we face western teams from one of the two divisions only one time each, and then the other division we face each of the teams twice, that would add 7 more games we can play against division rivals. Same goes for the west, alternate eastern divisions facing each team once from one division and then the other division each team twice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
After this minnesota game, they don't play a western game for a while. Come to think of it, the only game left that is 2 time zones away is Arizona and Colorado

After Minnesota, the Flyers have 10 straight against the East

Cardds*

have we seriously not played the Penguins yet?

No we haven't, and that's exactly why we shouldn't be playing this many western teams. We only face our division rivals at most 5 times and some of them 4 times. WTF? The division is nearly twice the size as before and we used to play our division rivals 8 times :shakehead

Cardds*

I like playing the Western teams twice a year. The last thing I want to see is more games against the Devils, Blue Jackets and Hurricanes. We only have three games all season that start at 10pm or later.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/schedule.htm?

Fair enough, the Jackets have been beating up on the Flyers ever since they joined the Eastern Conference. Less games against division rivals means less points we can possibly give up to them even if we beat them (OT points). Whenever the Flyers play western teams, I don't mind games going to OT/SO :laugh:

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
I would rather have it so we played our division two times more a year and made it so we only play a western division home and home series that alternates every year

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
No we haven't, and that's exactly why we shouldn't be playing this many western teams. We only face our division rivals at most 5 times and some of them 4 times. WTF? The division is nearly twice the size as before and we used to play our division rivals 8 times :shakehead

For me, that is far, far too many times to be playing any one team in a hockey season. That sounds like something that would work in baseball, but I much prefer the old way, where we played the other conference more often. (This was especially true growing up in St. Louis, as I'm sure it is for all the out-of-town fans, as we got to see our team play more than once a season.) Just my opinion.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
Personally, I am a fan of playing division teams at least 6 times a year. The rivalries are built on playing each other a lot and with this set up they don't play each other a lot unless they meet in the playoffs.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
it was done because after the lockout, teams out west didn't like that Crosby and Ovechkin only came through once every three years, among other scenarios, and god forbid anyone was hurt during a trip to the other conference. And it's the right way to do it, everyone has to make the same trips across the country and back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad