Getting rid of the tie was the best thing the NHL ever did

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey
A tie is kissing your sister and we as the north American sports watching public demand a result because it's better then the empty feeling of a tie. Now some may say it's a gimmick to go to a shootout but I say it's a gimmick for competitive reasons to not have a balanced schedule where each team plays each other home and away the same time so you are a hypocrite otherwise and lame if you like ties

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Ties or not, it makes no sense that a point gets conjured up out of thin air the moment a game reaches overtime. Every match should be worth the same, which is 3 points if they want to use the current system.

Reactions: gprep93 and Leksand

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Tie or not all games should give same amount of points.
Seriously, it's a massive flaw on the system that's been pointed out countless times, a child could notice how serverely flawed it is.

How does the NHL miss this? It actually drives me nuts especially because of how many games are decided in 3v3 or shootout. It's a terrible gimmick , the regular season has already been diminished enough, they should at least make winning games in regulation worth something

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
The loser point has got to go. I don’t mind ties, frankly.
There is no "loser point" sorry, it bothers me to no end hearing that all the time....each team is awarded a point for getting to a tie at the end of regulation.....if a team goes on and doesn't win the shootout, not sure that can be seen as losing a hockey game, you just lost a quick breakaway contest to quickly decide who to award the extra point to.

Personally, I have zero problems with ties, we aren't talking about playoffs here where you need a winner. Hockey is a low scoring game relatively speaking to other sports, so it's hard to always have a team win....unless you add the gimmicks at the end which really have nothing to do with the actual game. If you really need a team to be the winner in every 82 game regular season, I guess this is what you need to have. I say I have zero problems with ties, I obviously would prefer wins and losses only, but would prefer ties than having games decided by shootout.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad