Getting inside Hitch's head

cardsfan

May 22, 2013
I hated that we started the playoffs with the line combos we did. Untested, unfamiliar, and got us down 2-1. But i also sort of get it, from a coaching perspective. Wondering what people think about my theory. Here it is:

Hitch knew those weren't our best lines. But they were working decent at the end of the season, so even when he had everyone back healthy and could go with whatever he wanted, he figured why not start with those in the playoffs, see if they could win a few games. That gave him a great card to play, in case anything went wrong—he could go back to what we all know works: Steen-Backes-Oshie, Schwartz-Lehtera-Tarasenko, Berglund-Stastny-Jaskin.

In a way, I think it was worth the gamble on his part. If the new combos had gotten us out of a 5-game seres with Minnesota, and we had the obvious line switch waiting in our pocket to play against Chicago, all the better.

On the other hand, I think we could be up 3-1 or have won the series by now if we played the lineup we played last night. Instead, we're at 2-2 and face a hell of a battle to get out of the first round. Again.

Kasparov

May 29, 2013
I hated that we started the playoffs with the line combos we did. Untested, unfamiliar, and got us down 2-1. But i also sort of get it, from a coaching perspective. Wondering what people think about my theory. Here it is:

Hitch knew those weren't our best lines. But they were working decent at the end of the season, so even when he had everyone back healthy and could go with whatever he wanted, he figured why not start with those in the playoffs, see if they could win a few games. That gave him a great card to play, in case anything went wrong—he could go back to what we all know works: Steen-Backes-Oshie, Schwartz-Lehtera-Tarasenko, Berglund-Stastny-Jaskin.

In a way, I think it was worth the gamble on his part. If the new combos had gotten us out of a 5-game seres with Minnesota, and we had the obvious line switch waiting in our pocket to play against Chicago, all the better.

On the other hand, I think we could be up 3-1 or have won the series by now if we played the lineup we played last night. Instead, we're at 2-2 and face a hell of a battle to get out of the first round. Again.

i doubt we could have swept this wild team. they are good and Dubnyk has killed it at times. could we have had a commanding 3-1 lead, i don't doubt it at all.

Edit: i really like the thought put into the post though. sounds good and it would have been nice if we could have gotten out of the series without having to revert. i LOVED seeing Dubnyk get chased from the net and i was surprised it took yeo 6 goals to make the call. I'm sorrry, what's that Mike Milbury? what did you say Dubnyk's GAA and SA% was again?

STLBloosiers

Jul 14, 2014
honestly we wouldn't have swept them. I don't blame Hitch going with the lines we went into the playoffs with. Lets be honest they're pretty similar to the lines we started the season with up until the Stastny injury. I felt those lines made us way more balanced even though we were giving up long-term chemistry. They were centered around get Stastny better wingers like he had in COL with Landeskog and Mackinnion. However, it caught up to us and we needed the lines that we used the majority of the year and it paid off.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I think it was more someone or several telling him that your nonsense doesn't work in the playoffs and hasn't in years. Change it or none of us will have jobs soon. Play hockey and not Hitch hockey. I like my job.

It wasn't about different lines making a difference. It was about not playing the game on the perimeter and getting traffic in front of the net. We have as much skill upfront and on the point as anyone in the NHL. Use it. Go on the offensive.

Last edited:

LightSoundGeometry*

agree - we are "built" for some O pressure not only to skate in /back in from the blue line and try to win 1-0

FloridaBlue

Mar 9, 2014
Wildwood, MO
I can't blame Hitch too much here. We can all second guess the lines NOW after we've seen how well the new ones worked last night. But at the end of the day the entire team showed a lack of interest/effort in games 1 and 3. They still won a game soundly with the previous lines. And those lines were extremely effective at the end of the season. So I don't see how you can blame Hitch with the lines since they won a game with them and to me the 2 losses can be attributed to a lack of effort.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I actually had some thoughts similar to the OP, but I just don't believe any coach would deliberately put out a line-up that he didn't think gave him the best chance to win. I have no doubt he expected to revisit those more familiar lines if/when necessary, and I also believe the line changes helped focus the team in a way that allowed them to win 5 of 6 down the stretch when mental fatigue, especially for a team that has already clinched a spot, can happen so easily.

I think Hitchcock has the Minnesota coaching staff on the verge of checkmate, though. I don't see Minnesota winning another game, after the ass-whooping last night. They had that look in their eyes that San Jose had, like they knew they couldn't overcome what they were up against. Unless the Blues allow them to, I don't see Minnesota winning in St Louis....and maybe they can hope for something like an OT game in Minnesota next time around. But I think we've already seen the best Minnesota has to offer, and they have no answer for the bar the Blues have set now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad