Getting in shape

newfr4u

Aug 29, 2011
i don't have anything to discuss. i simply want to know if this is a thread where noone wants to be corrected, then i will not "troll" or "flame" anyone here. i just might ignore this thread altogether regardless.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Who is this lyle macdonald? Im sorry but there is alot of disinformation about fitness out there. If lyle had been a published researcher then I might consider his opinion valid or credible. But he has no backing credentials whatsoever.

I learn from established Scientist in the field of Exercise Physiology, not from people who do some research write an ebook and try to sell it. I know that reading advanced exercise physiology, biochemistry and neurochemistry books can be difficult and not accessible for the average fitness enthusiast but they bring alot more to the table than authors who aren't cited or leaders in their field.

I am well aware that an athlete of explosive sports does not want to look like a kenyan marathoner( extreme example). But that does not justfity one modality of training above all. Aerobic training has its place as well as anerobic training. These energy systems are used interchangeably throughout athletic competition unless you are an Olympic shot putter or Olympic weight lifter. So both need to be taxed, and worked on.

if you want to read some authors who are much more credible than Lyle macdonald and any other self proclaimed expert please PM me.

Last edited:

sanityplease

Jun 21, 2011
i don't have anything to discuss. i simply want to know if this is a thread where noone wants to be corrected, then i will not "troll" or "flame" anyone here. i just might ignore this thread altogether regardless.

I'd love to be corrected by someone as informed and intelligent as yourself on how to improve my overall athletic endurance without cardio or interval training.

I'm 35, 5'-10 1/2" & a lean 210-215lbs & my hockey team wants me to stay on the ice more (have more ice time) especially in important games. I have a respectable strength level. & wouldn't mind also lowering my 5k time in summer events that I take part in (22-24+mins depending on how much I prepare, or how fun that particular city is the night before ;))

So far, all you've offered is a link to a very basic barbell weight training book, if you can give me a new training regime involving only weight training, please offer it up. I'm very open to more much appreciated advice.

Last edited:

newfr4u

Aug 29, 2011
I'd love to be corrected by someone as informed and intelligent as yourself on how to improve my overall athletic endurance without cardio or interval training.

I'm 35, 5'-10 1/2" & a lean 210-215lbs & my hockey team wants me to stay on the ice more (have more ice time) especially in important games. I have a respectable strength level. & wouldn't mind also lowering my 5k time in summer events that I take part in (22-24+mins depending on how much I prepare, or how fun that particular city is the night before ;))

So far, all you've offered is a link to a very basic barbell weight training book, if you can give me a new training regime involving only weight training, please offer it up. I'm very open to more much appreciated advice.
what is your respectable strength level? more specifically, what is your squat/bench/power clean worksets and program? if you are already past linear-gains programming levels, it will be evident because you'll be hitting stalls and resets. if you are not, regular 3x5 training will be increasing your overall endurance at the levels you seek. endurance is just an added benefit of beginner strength gains.

if you are into intermediate programming, your volume days will also be sufficient. if you still have the energy to do more, you could simply up the poundage or you could add tabata kb swings as assistance. there's no need to run or bike more than what you normally enjoy unless it's getting difficult to find kb's big enough.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Full body functional strength circuit training 3 times a week MWF

8 exercises 4 sets, done in circuit fashion.

This is best for the athlete not trying to increase hypertrophy or strength but rather increase muscular endurance, while maintaining hypertrophy and strength.

Thesensation19*

I am a firm believer in the fact that if you are a rookie in the field of fitness and training knowledge than its not effective to find answers on a forum. No offense, guys. But many guys on here are inexperienced, takes a while to find the results you want and too many differ opinions.

You already have your questions, how to lose fat and gain muscle. Google it and spend some time in the research.

But so im not leaving you with a comment just like that, ill share something simple on my fitness beliefs which has helped me improve my hockey skill, athleticm and fitness. I can always go further into detail but ill save it for people who believe in the simple basics that will follow:

Stay Active and watch what you put into your body. When you have the choice to walk than drive... or bike then drive... then do it. Rather than go to a bar or out with friends sometimes, go to a gym or open hockey or some kind of hike. Try to have home made meals over going out. No matter what the "facts" are on certain outdoor meals, its always better to shop smart and make it yourself.

Simply doing that will have you lose fat and unwanted weight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad