Advice: Getting a high end stick? ($200+)

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Great question. I know Jarick can give a good response as he's had more experience with mid-level sticks than I. But for me:

1) Value - What am I getting with my money? I would lean towards a top-end stick on sale hands down. You can find sales all the time.

2) Curve/flex availability - even if there's a great stick for an awesome price, it would be completely pointless if I cannot get it in my preferred flex/curve/hand

3) Puck handling - it would be tough for me to buy a stick without knowing how well the blade can catch passes. Blades get stiffer the higher end you go in general. I look for a blade that has the stiffness required for accurate shooting and responsive feel, but 'soft' enough to not require much cushioning in catching passes.

BrobReborn

Oct 14, 2015
I'm curious about this as well. I'm looking to get a Bauer Nexus stick, but how different can expensive ones be? For example, the n1 is $260, is it really $100 better than the n8000 which is only $160? Sticks really don't even last very long, so I'm interested in hearing about people who bought $200+ sticks.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
I think the primary consideration on how much to spend on a stick or sticks is 'are you any good'?

If you have hands of stone or can't get your shot off the ice, then top of the line sticks aren't going to make the difference up for you. If you are a sniper then maybe?

I favour top or near top of the line in skates and protective, but I wouldn't waste the money on expensive twigs. I look after all the gear except for sticks, they are disposable, throwaway things. They get the hell beaten out of 'em, games, pick up or whatever.

No point buying a new Ferrari to take to a demolition derby.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
To be honest with you, the high end price point sticks (190, X900 or N9000 for Bauer) are good enough for everyone, unless you're a pro player (but in that case you have pro stocks). If you can find one on clearance (I see some X100s at $130), then it's a fantastic deal.

If you're really picky and you have a large budget, by all means go for the top end $300 stick. I used to have top end sticks like the X60, APX, Total One... but the truth is that I'm not that good at hockey, except for shooting the puck.

So, I use mid-range sticks or two piece sticks. It's cheaper and more than enough for my needs.

leftwinger37

Jun 7, 2011
"Great Lakes State"
With the increased availability of pro stock sticks, I can't justify the expense of a high-end retail sticks. I'm not saying that because I'm some kind of pro-stock snob; you can get an elite level stick with a wider range of patterns to choose from for $100-$130. Buying retail, you'd be lucky to get a 2nd tier stick at that same price point.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
A good player will be a good player regardless of the stick. If you have the money to burn and like the extra performance (light weight, better feel, etc) of a high end stick, go for it.

I will know more later in the week after I get a skate or two with my new price point (Easton Stealth 7.5), but I notice much more improvement in the price point models over time than the high end sticks. This makes sense because high end sticks have increased so much in price the last several years.

You will almost always be able to find last year's clearance sticks for a lot less than the current models though.

MattGTI

Dec 4, 2010
Milford
I notice much more improvement in the price point models over time than the high end sticks. This makes sense because high end sticks have increased so much in price the last several years.

This is great point of view. There is a TON of value to be had in today's mid end stick lines(mid low/ mid/ mid high) for the average Joe.

There are some fantastic sticks to be had in that lower 100.00- 199.99 price range. Puck feel, weight, and stick balance have all gotten increasingly better in a lot of models over the past few years.

While, I am still all for trying to find a high end stick on clearance. If you can't find one in a curve, flex, etc that suits you. You can't go wrong looking in that mid end price range, and finding something that should suit all your needs.

Pro stock is an option too. However, with the rise of pro stock availability, I have also seen more and more guys using a stick simply because its a higher end stick that they got for a good price, and its just not the right stick for them. Of course, that's all on the buyer. If you know what you want, and can find it- pro stock is fantastic.

I think OP needs to look at his skill level, and what level he plays at, and go from there. However, if money is no option- have at it! Nothing feels better than a top of the line stick.

However, if you are just playing beer league, regardless of your skill level, I can't push today's crop of mid ends enough. Great value, great durability, and a lot of good stick options.

Rookie109

Mar 31, 2014
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
A good player will be a good player regardless of the stick. If you have the money to burn and like the extra performance (light weight, better feel, etc) of a high end stick, go for it.

I will know more later in the week after I get a skate or two with my new price point (Easton Stealth 7.5), but I notice much more improvement in the price point models over time than the high end sticks. This makes sense because high end sticks have increased so much in price the last several years.

You will almost always be able to find last year's clearance sticks for a lot less than the current models though.

I agree, just get last year's or the year before that high end stick for cheap. My first high end stick was a Reebok 20K marked down from $300 to $119, I would never spend $300 on a stick. I broke that within the 30 day warranty period and Reebok / CCM sent me a CCM 40K Ribcor; I've been using for over 5 months and it's been awesome. The 20K was good, the 40K Ribcor has been amazing :)

kopitar123

Oct 18, 2015
Thanks for all the answers :) I think I'll look for an older high end stick that is a year or two old on clearance.

STL Blues Fan

Jan 14, 2011
Right now on prostockhockey.com if you want more than one stick they got buy 2 get 1 free on all there pro stock hockey sticks if you can find one you want. I think there between $100-$140 each for most of them. I'm going to do that if that sale is going on next time I want to get a new stick.

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
There is a giant chasm between the differences of say a 100$ and a 300$ stick. I just wait for clearance sales on the high end sticks and buy a few at a time, best performance for a low cost.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
You might look a little silly with high end gear if you can't skate or play, but if a guy has a flash stick and is doing the business putting plenty in the net with it then that's his business. Who could care less?

..but yeah that's pretty funny.

jazzykat

Mar 10, 2013
My vote is for clearance top end sticks. I recently bought S19s in my exact pattern and flex specifications for under under 100Euros per stick. I can gurantee that even though they are 6 six years old they are better than any retail cost stick at 100Euro!

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I've got a longer review posted in a separate thread, but after my first skate with the $119 Stealth price point stick, it's the best price point I've used and pretty comparable (aside from being a tiny bit heavier feeling) to high end sticks I've used in the past. Just an idea in case the clearance OPS you look at aren't in your curve and flex.

Tacks92

Jun 16, 2014
I was fine using the second tier sticks. And then one day I got a good deal on an old Warrior Dynasty. Now I have an addiction and only buy the best. So dumb. But I can't help myself. Whether the stick makes a difference or not, who knows (probably a really slight one), but I definitely play better with the better sticks. Placebo effect? Prob.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad