Movies: Get Out

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
It was also a let down to me after all the hype.

It was unsettling as it was happening and you have that Shamaylan style twist that makes you be like "I should have seen that" but you already seen it and knew it was coming. What exactly was coming you weren't sure but you knew.

And payoff wasn't that great.

Reactions: Voight

JA

This critique reminds me of when people were complaining that Rickon Stark wasn't running in zig-zags to get away from his tormentor.

When in situations of extreme stress and with no time to evaluate all alternatives, regular people don't typically pursue the most ideal resolution.

It would be absolutely absurd to have the main character turn into Jason Bourne or Sherlock Holmes in that situation. The way it played out was 100% more realistic than the suggested alternatives.
It isn't a critique so much as it is a rationalization of the decision to have the scene play out as it did.

Everything that occurs in this film appears to have been deliberately designed for thematic purposes. Peele is smart, and he is careful about his attention to detail. Realism isn't the purpose here -- the themes are. The film's plot serves the movie's messages. This is what makes Get Out worth close-examining.

Chris' escape from the house is as Bourne-esque as can be, which is in stark contrast to his interaction with Rose. He does not want to engage with Rose.
[spoil]The scene in question -- the post-closet exchange with Rose -- did not need to play out as it did. It was written this way for a reason, however. As soon as the closet photographs are revealed, we know that she is guilty. The closet closes only to show that she has been watching him investigate the photographs. This would have been a fairly standard moment in a story's narrative for the character to turn after the twist has been revealed. At this point in most films, one character would try to incapacitate the other.

Instead, the film does something unconventional by having the exchange between Chris and Rose play out without conflict. Chris does not engage. He is shown throughout the film to be capable of engaging, and he is not only strong but clever -- his escape from the chair and the house is extremely clever. He successfully kills the father, mother, and brother. He realizes that he can plug his ears with cotton; he uses the deer to kill the father; he knows that he needs to smash the tea cup before engaging with the mother; he uses a screwdriver to kill the mother and the brother. He had a moment to do something similar to Rose after the closet revelation, but he does not. Instead, she continues her charade and he falls into her trap. He lets her off the hook and it proves to be nearly fatal.

The film purposely teases the audience with the idea that the characters in the film can be logical. It wants us to expect Chris to be as intuitive as his friend Rod. He is a logical person, but Rose successfully shuts him down throughout the film every time he confesses to her his clues. She defeats him. He loses every single debate he has with her in the film, from the moment he questions her decision not to tell her parents about his ethnicity to the ID scene with the police to the confrontations about the maid and housekeeper. She wins every time. On the other hand, he is fairly dismissive about everything that Rod has to say.

Ultimately, we are faced with Chris having to choose between committing to Rod or Rose. When he decides to give her the responsibility of finding the keys, we know that he has chosen to trust Rose despite everything that he knows.

If one wants to be even more clever here, they could suggest that he believes she is a victim -- she is the young, white girl of the film whose role is usually to be the damsel in distress. The role of the white girl in most horror movies is to be the one who escapes and survives at the end. The role of this apparent stock character is reversed, as she is the one who orchestrates the madness.

In the conflict over Chris' trust between the black man, Rod, and the white girl, Rose, the girl wins.

Peele's original ending, which was to have the police discover Chris strangling Rose and arrest him, would have further emphasized this as that circumstance tends to favor the white girl. The film ends instead with Rod rescuing Chris, which is to say that the protagonists have finally defeated the white girl.

One of the alternate takes in the TSA car between Rod and Chris features Rod yelling to his friend, "No more white girls for you!"

In the context of our current social climate, white girls and black men are unjustly considered to be on the opposite ends of a spectrum of trust and respect.[/spoil]
One SuperHeroHype member had this to say about their impression of Rose:

http://forums.superherohype.com/showpost.php?p=34863629&postcount=105
[spoil]"I went from thinking that she was in on it, to she had no idea what was going on, to she to was hypnotized by her parents. I kind of wish the later had happened. When she was trying to find the keys it totally felt like she was lost" - Primal Slayer, SuperHeroHype!

The innocent white girl narrative is an issue that Peele critiques with this film.[/spoil]

Last edited by a moderator:

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I thought it was good. I was expecting:

[spoil] Rose might not necessarily be in on it, but that the mom was hypnotizing her as well to be the family lure [/spoil]

Also:

[spoil] The silent Bingo auction scene was incredibly creepy [/spoil]

The version that's online also has the original ending that was changed to the theatrical one...

original ending:

[spoil] Chris chokes Rose to death. Cop car shows up. It's not Rod, it's the actual police. All the evidence burnt down in the house. Flash-forward six months later. Chris is in jail, Rod comes to visit him and goes on and on about how he's going to get Chris out. Chris tells him to let it go, that he beat his inner demons [/spoil]

I'm glad they changed the endings.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Finally saw this yesterday...was AMAZING! I was worried with all the hype it would be a let down but it wasn't. Haven't seen a good Horror/Thriller movie in a LONG time. Great great story. Super creepy.

9.5/10

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
The security guard was a caricature of a black man

And the brother was way over the top with his performance

Otherwise, solid film

7.5 outta 10

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Shoulda won best picture. No way the dumb fish movie that I have no interest in seeing was actually better.

Academy just didn't want to give it to a movie in which white liberals are explicitly the bad guys.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Shoulda won best picture. No way the dumb fish movie that I have no interest in seeing was actually better.

Academy just didn't want to give it to a movie in which white liberals are explicitly the bad guys.

Actually no, Darkest Hour should have won best picture.

Viggo Mortensen

Gandalf the Grey
Dec 14, 2008
Gondor
Just watched it. Solid movie and creepy. One thing that I feel like might be a error and looking through this seems like it nobody caught:

How did he put the cotton in his ears? His hands were tied solid on the armchair. Yes he was able to rip the leather and get the cotton out, but there's no way he could've reached in his ears. I doubt leaning would've worked

But anyway, It's just overthinking.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Just watched it. Solid movie and creepy. One thing that I feel like might be a error and looking through this seems like it nobody caught:

How did he put the cotton in his ears? His hands were tied solid on the armchair. Yes he was able to rip the leather and get the cotton out, but there's no way he could've reached in his ears. I doubt leaning would've worked

But anyway, It's just overthinking.

I'm able to keep my wrists on my armrests, bend over and stick my fingers in my ears. He's slender, like I am, so it seems very plausible for him to have done the same.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation

giphy.gif

Oh, wait. memories are surfacing from the old Poli board...

...never mind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad