Get Draisaitl and McDavid some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
That ship has sailed. The Edmonton Oilers have wasted both these players being together by poor asset management and poor cap management. The team is up against the cap with Draisitle entering the final year of his current contract and McDavid 2 years after. Draisaitl is as good as gone. Maybe even after these playoffs in the offseason. They cannot afford his next contract. Especially if the Organization has hopes in re-signing McDavid. The Organization royally screwed things up here and wasted a 1-2 punch that the league hasn't seen in decades.
They may be gone and there's a lot of truth in your post about terrible management, but if they're gone it's not because they can't afford them. I swear some of you don't even bother to look at cap friendly or stay up to date with projected cap growth.

Here's a quick breakdown for you since you didn't seem to do your homework.

2025 (when Drai's contract is up): Off the books: Neal buyout 2mil, Cody Ceci out 3.25mil and cap likely to be 8mil+ higher than this season. Currently Drai (8.5) and Bouchard (3.9) could have an additional 12.25 mil to sign (assuming 1mil replacecement for Ceci). Meaning they'll have a combined 24.65mil or more to sign Drai and Bouchard.

2026 (when McDavid's contract is up): Expect another 3-4 mil cap raise, Kane off the books (5.125mil), and Ekholm (6mil) + Kulak (2.75M) contracts finished. If you replace those 3 players with 10mil of cap you're looking at an extra 8 mil to pay McDavid up to a 20.5mil contract.

Now ultimately its up to those two if they want to re-sign, but the Oilers can easily make the money work even without shipping out bad contracts.

Edmonton has a leadership problem.

The 2 best players in the NHL and neither one of them are leaders of any kind.

They both need to learn how to be better at the whole team game thing (which is why Vancouver are kicking Edmontons ass).
This is a lazy argument. You really can't get any lazier than this. Every playoffs they show up. They put up historical point totals. They put up elite advanced metrics. And I'll save you some time since I already know you're going to say "did you see McDavid leave Boeser all alone on the 2nd goal last night". Yeah I can pick out instances like that from every cup winning leader of the last 10 years if I went back through every one of their playoff games.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It’s criminal what Holland and Chiarelli have done to these guys. How hard is it to get a goalie, some D and some bottom six guys after so many years? Other teams do it in one or two off seasons.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Theoretically their roster now is good enough to win, but that's not really what you want when you're in year 8 of a window. As we're seeing, one injury to Henrique and their bottom six looks like a joke and they go right back to putting Draisaitl on the wing.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Theoretically their roster now is good enough to win, but that's not really what you want when you're in year 8 of a window. As we're seeing, one injury to Henrique and their bottom six looks like a joke and they go right back to putting Draisaitl on the wing.
Really? With Skinner in net and Nurse-Ceci as the second pairing I don’t think they have much of a shot against the top 4 teams.

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
On paper this year their depth is terrific its just not showing up when they need it

Henrique coming back would be big, they also need to swap Ryan out for Carrick

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
They may be gone and there's a lot of truth in your post about terrible management, but if they're gone it's not because they can't afford them. I swear some of you don't even bother to look at cap friendly or stay up to date with projected cap growth.

Here's a quick breakdown for you since you didn't seem to do your homework.

2025 (when Drai's contract is up): Off the books: Neal buyout 2mil, Cody Ceci out 3.25mil and cap likely to be 8mil+ higher than this season. Currently Drai (8.5) and Bouchard (3.9) could have an additional 12.25 mil to sign (assuming 1mil replacecement for Ceci). Meaning they'll have a combined 24.65mil or more to sign Drai and Bouchard.

2026 (when McDavid's contract is up): Expect another 3-4 mil cap raise, Kane off the books (5.125mil), and Ekholm (6mil) + Kulak (2.75M) contracts finished. If you replace those 3 players with 10mil of cap you're looking at an extra 8 mil to pay McDavid up to a 20.5mil contract.

Now ultimately its up to those two if they want to re-sign, but the Oilers can easily make the money work even without shipping out bad contracts.

This is a lazy argument. You really can't get any lazier than this. Every playoffs they show up. They put up historical point totals. They put up elite advanced metrics. And I'll save you some time since I already know you're going to say "did you see McDavid leave Boeser all alone on the 2nd goal last night". Yeah I can pick out instances like that from every cup winning leader of the last 10 years if I went back through every one of their playoff games.
Yes, they put up historic points yet fail to win. I never said they didn’t perform in the playoffs. I just think you have to question leadership of the top players when they are the constant.

Fine to point at bad goaltending, lazy defence, secondary scoring, etc…. (all valid reasons for why Edmonton are perennial losers) but the reality is they don’t look like an inspired group out there. It honestly looks like a team of 2 with McDrai and the rest of the team.

I think it is fair to question McDavid’s leadership at this point.

Take the criticism and disagree all you want but piss off with lazy argument talk, especially given the lazy ass answer.

Reactions: sanscosm

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
On paper this year their depth is terrific its just not showing up when they need it

Henrique coming back would be big, they also need to swap Ryan out for Carrick
On paper their depth is by far the worst of any playoff team.
They are a one line team and that line plays 30 minutes a game. The other 9 forwards are just killing time to give McDrai a rest.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Pens won in 2009 with Gill-Scuderi as their second pair, with Fedotenko and Talbot and geriatric Bill Guerin in their top six, and Fleury had a 908 save% in a time when having below 910 was pretty ass.

It wouldn't kill Edmonton to try ask McD and Drai to carry some limited fwds and spread the wealth around. The playoffs is all about winning your matchups. Having 2 separate lines with McDavid on one and Draisaitl on the other gives you a solid chance to win 2 out of 4 matchups right off the bat.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Yes, they put up historic points yet fail to win. I never said they didn’t perform in the playoffs. I just think you have to question leadership of the top players when they are the constant.

Fine to point at bad goaltending, lazy defence, secondary scoring, etc…. (all valid reasons for why Edmonton are perennial losers) but the reality is they don’t look like an inspired group out there. It honestly looks like a team of 2 with McDrai and the rest of the team.

I think it is fair to question McDavid’s leadership at this point.

Take the criticism and disagree all you want but piss off with lazy argument talk, especially given the lazy ass answer.
Please do explain how my answer was lazy. You're trying to make a conclusion on "leadership" which is something you can't measure, and you have zero pulse on because you've never been in their dressing room. That's the laziest argument you can make.

If NHL players around them can't get up for playoff games that's not on them and it's hilarious to blame them for other guys shitting the bed when they bring it every single playoffs. You want to blame anyone blame the GMs they've had and the underperforming players on the team. I'll say it again it is LAZY to call out these two for "leadership issues".

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
They have zero scoring depth. Otherwise why does McDavid, Drai, Hyman and RNH play half the game with the other lines under 12 minutes? Depth?

D and G are bigger needs. You have Kane and RNH for scoring depth. You can only allocate/address so many needs; my choice would be D and G.

Oilking83

Jan 14, 2009
Oil Country
Pens won in 2009 with Gill-Scuderi as their second pair, with Fedotenko and Talbot and geriatric Bill Guerin in their top six, and Fleury had a 908 save% in a time when having below 910 was pretty ass.

It wouldn't kill Edmonton to try ask McD and Drai to carry some limited fwds and spread the wealth around. The playoffs is all about winning your matchups. Having 2 separate lines with McDavid on one and Draisaitl on the other gives you a solid chance to win 2 out of 4 matchups right off the bat.
Generally agree but keep in mind Leo is inured. They trying to protect him by having him on Mcdavid wing rather than carrying his own line. Hard to argue with his play none the less

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

I mean that's generally what they do. They've swapped to them on the same line twice in the past 3 playoffs and both times they did it because Draisaitl was playing hurt and the reduced responsibility as a winger made it easier for him to play through it.

He looked like he was flying last night though so I agree they should split them back up.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Apparently the excuse is that Draisaitl is injured and so can only play 30 minutes a night. 😆

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Apparently the excuse is that Draisaitl is injured and so can only play 30 minutes a night. 😆
I think he looked a bit slow still in game 2. Looked a lot better last night so I think he's over his injury. This isn't like the high ankle sprain he played through against Calgary 2 years ago when he could barely skate and was shown grimacing every 2nd shift.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Generally agree but keep in mind Leo is inured. They trying to protect him by having him on Mcdavid wing rather than carrying his own line. Hard to argue with his play none the less
We are like 2 years removed from Draisaitl torching the playoffs on one foot, and he just played like half the game.

rea

Feb 8, 2011
Not to take away anything from your points, but what the person you replied this to said was they have a leadership problem. Theres nothing lazy about what he said. Whether you agree or disagree on that point, leadership isn't just built on stats. They can run up the score all the time, but if they aren't a solution on the defensive side helping or sacrificing the body on shots etc, get 5 goals btwn them in a game wont mean shit if they let in 6.

Those little defensive efforts help, the hits, the blocks, the backchecks. When the team you captain sees you going through the wall for them, they'll do anything for you too.

Every team works differently, but look at what the leaders of almost every team that wins, the little things they do that sets off a domino effect in how their teammates get fired up. It's the same as when the fighters of yesterday would go out and try to fire up the troops.

My point being is without all the words, leadership isn't just about putting up pts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad