Proposal: Get Colorado a 2nd line scorer

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Something around Skinner, Varlamov and a conditional pick could make sense.

to Colorado:
- Jeff Skinner
to Carolina:
- Semyon Varlamov
- Cond. Pick in 2019 (1st if Skinner scores 40, otherwise 2nd; 1st if Varlamov plays fewer than 40 games, otherwise 2nd; Carolina gets the lower pick if only 1 of the 2 conditions are met)

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland

to Colorado:
- Jeff Skinner
to Carolina:
- Semyon Varlamov
- Cond. Pick in 2019 (1st if Skinner scores 40, otherwise 2nd; 1st if Varlamov plays fewer than 40 games, otherwise 2nd; Carolina gets the lower pick if only 1 of the 2 conditions are met)
Varlamov is not going anywhere. Hes our #1 goalie. Grubauer playing lights out 1-2 seasons in a row could change the fact.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Varlamov is not going anywhere. Hes our #1 goalie. Grubauer playing lights out 1-2 seasons in a row could change the fact.

I can't think Gru signed an extension to be the back-up or Francouz signed without an understanding that he'd see NHL ice-time relatively-quickly after an AHL stint to adjust to smaller North American rinks.

I get what Sakic is trying to do and saying, but if Varlamov is an Avalanche past the first few months of next season, I'd expect trade demands from one or both of your other goalies.

Reactions: hooverdam

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
I can't think Gru signed an extension to be the back-up or Francouz signed without an understanding that he'd see NHL ice-time relatively-quickly after an AHL stint to adjust to smaller North American rinks.

I get what Sakic is trying to do and saying, but if Varlamov is an Avalanche past the first few months of next season, I'd expect trade demands from one or both of your other goalies.
Its a little bit complicated than that, the load shared with true #1 goalie and backup would be like idk 75-85% and 15-25%, however its a lot closer situation with Varly probably getting 55% of the burden compared to Grubauers 45%. If Gru does well, I think Varly could be traded next season.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

to Colorado:
- Jeff Skinner
to Carolina:
- Semyon Varlamov

...Wait, the lower pick as in if Skinner were to score 40 and Varlamov played 41 games, Carolina gets Ottawa's 1st round pick instead of Colorado's? Or do you mean both conditions have to be met for Carolina to get Colorado's 1st?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Well, you'd be wrong on both accounts. Francouz specifically said when he signed that he fully understood he'd likely have to spend time in the AHL(And potentially a while) before earning his chance in the NHL and that he was prepared to do so.

And Grubauer knows when he came over he was coming for a chance to fight and compete for the #1 role with Varlamov. By no means was he going to be gifted the #1G spot.

Avs have themselves in a fantastic spot where we have two goalies who appear to be starter level tenders, and a very good #3 Goalie in Francouz who has put up remarkable numbers in the 2nd best league in the world. We're not getting rid of our best goalie out of the trio right now just to put ourselves back in the same situation of uncertainty that our goaltending was in 2 months ago.

Reactions: MacBradley

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009

to Colorado:
- Jeff Skinner
to Carolina:
- Semyon Varlamov

Am I the only guy who reads Skinner on these threads and hears Superintendent Chalmers`voice in my head ...SKINNER

Reactions: MacBradley

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Paul Byron has speed and can score 20 goals on a bad team with anyone. He also makes next to nothing.

Make it a 2nd round pick in 2019 and Nikolai Kovalenko and I think that works.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
...Wait, the lower pick as in if Skinner were to score 40 and Varlamov played 41 games, Carolina gets Ottawa's 1st round pick instead of Colorado's? Or do you mean both conditions have to be met for Carolina to get Colorado's 1st?
Ottawa's 1st isn't in the discussion.

But I may have worded it poorly, there would be two conditions and if either are met the 1st round pick transfers. The Canes would get the Avalanche 1st if Skinner scores 40 goals or Varly players fewer than 40 games. If neither is met, then the Canes get a 2nd.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Yes, I really like the Silfverberg option for the second line RW spot next to Jost and Kerfoot. Checks off most of the boxes.

What would the Ducks look to get for him this summer if extension talks don’t go well?

Even if extension talks didn't go well this summer, I'm thinking it might make more sense to keep him to start the season. If we are in playoff contention, he'll need to be a big part of that, if not we should have no trouble getting a solid return on him as a rental. A team would probably be more likely to give up a 1st+ when they are more sure of they are getting Silfverberg for a playoff run where he provides his most value, and more certain the 1st would be later.

That being said, if talks are not going well, and a team offered a good package now involving a 1st + prospect , I think it would at least be considered. There are definitely teams with more wiggle room to give him a solid raise on a long term deal.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Feel free to make a proposal you think the Canes FO would accept.

That's the issue, I can't come up with an offer that makes sense for both sides. Varly + 1st for Skinner works primarily because it addresses an area of need for both teams. Once you take Varly out of the deal, there's not a lot the Avs can offer that addresses a different area of need for the Canes, so it'll probably end up being more quantity coming from Colorado, and more potential than proven. We were the youngest team in the league, and just finished year 1 of the rebuild. We still have a bunch of holes in the roster, and aren't really to the point of the process where moving 3 assets for 1 makes sense yet.

So, I think this is a situation where Skinner would be really nice to have, but we can't justify paying the asking price for him.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Depending on how the team evaluation goes Lee and/or Eberle could be available and Nelson is definitely available.

CaleMakaw

Jul 12, 2018
Move Soda to center the 2nd instead of the third and Jost to the wing.

Kamenev/Ghetto - Soda - Jost
That's a solid 2way line that can provide some offense. Soderberg has had very little for line support in an avs sweater. Give him some decent young guys and he can top 50 points like he did 3 years ago. No need to give up the 1st rounder (which could be a lottery pick if injuries hit).

But I would also take Zuc for Meloche and a 2nd as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad