Confirmed with Link: Gerry Hart Passes Away at 75

scott99

May 13, 2005
I was very sad when I heard this. I became an Islander fan in 1975, but then really became obsessed with hockey in 1977. And I have fond memories of the Islanders who didn’t last long enough to win a Cup with the Isles. I always felt bad for Hart, Bert Marshall and Ed Westfall. They just missed out, as their last year with the Isles was in 1978-79. Hart was a scrappy little dude. A 5’9” 175 pound defenseman who played 700+ games in one of the roughest eras (physically) in the NHL.

My thoughts are with Hart’s family and friends.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Many people who never saw him play for the Islanders know him as the owner of The Rinx in Lake Grove. Another guy who made Long Island his home after he retired from the NHL.

Those of us who did see Hart play remember him as the poor guy who had to be Pat Price's defense partner lol. IYKYK.

RIP Gerry Hart.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Hart was part of the group of vets who laid the foundation for the dynasty, even if they didn't play on the Cup teams. Guys like Hart and Bert Marshall on D, and Parise and Drouin up front. When I think of Hart I think of game 6 vs the Flyers in '75. That was an insane win (2-1?) at the NVMC when it looked like the Isles were maybe about to come back from down 3-0 to win for the second series in a row. I recall that Hart was great in that game - may have even scored a goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad