GDT: Germany v. Canada 23h30 UTC

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The team hopefully has their mojo back, but the jury is still out on the goaltending. After Gaudreau played lousy the other night, Milic followed it up with giving up 2 goals on the first 13 shots he faced. That's not going to be good enough if Canada wants to make some noise in the medal rounds.

Reactions: Sideline

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
one more game to work out the kinks and then 4 games to the gold medal. Looks like a wide open tournament that any one of 5 teams can win. + a couple of dark horses that may add a little intrigue to the quarters and to the tourney. Isn't that what everybody wants?

Any team that isn't represented here at this tournament - isn't at all missed.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
I think that there might be an issue with this team if Bedard is shut down - if he is on the ice Canada will score goals, if he isn’t - it’s as if Canada‘s goal is to survive.

I don’t. Bedard is superior but Roy is good and underrated.
Stankoven and others can still create. Among forwards i do believe they have superior depth. Only nations able to match that on paper is the US and Sweden.

So far i would say that the canadian offense is the best in the tournament. The Czech D the best.
Swedens and perhaps even the Czechs goalie the best.

So at the end of the day i don't believe it will be the offense that let's Canada down.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
Maybe I’m missing the sarcasm, but you do know how the standings in these tournaments work right?
Nah, just being ironic - this used to be a pretty standard comment from North American fans back in time, even when the score had some theoretical meaning like in this case.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Maybe I’m missing the sarcasm, but you do know how the standings in these tournaments work right?
Goal differential only counts among the teams you're tied with. Running up the score against Germany and Austria does nothing to help that. Having said that, I am all for playing hard to the final whistle and making sure your game is in high gear. If someone is feeling butthurt because of how badly they lose a hockey game, take up knitting instead.

Reesor01

Jul 24, 2012
Halifax, NS

Scenarios for Canada's division aren't crystal clear. If Sweden beats Czechia and Canada beats Sweden, assuming no single points anywhere, those teams will tie for 1st. Tie-breaker in a 3-way tie is goal differential amongst the tied teams only. Czechia has the advantage being Canada by 3. Best case scenario if Canada wants to get 1st, would be for Sweden to beat Czechia by 3 this afternoon, and then for Canada to beat Sweden by 4 or more. That would give Canada a +1, Czechia a 0 and Sweden a -1 goal-differential amongst those three teams, and Canada would get 1st in the division.

Other scenario's where Canada can win the division:

- Sweden beats Czechia by 4; Canada beats Sweden by 4+. Czechia would be -1, Sweden would be 0 or worse, and Canada would be +1 or better.
- Sweden beats Czechia by 5; Canada beats Sweden by 4+. Czechia would be -2, Sweden would be +1 or worse, and Canada would be +1 or better. If Canada and Sweden tied in goal-differential amongst teams tied in points, Canada wins because they beat Sweden head-to-head. If Canada and Czechia tie in goal-differential in that scenario, then Czechia would win the division because they won the head-to-head against Canada.

Of course if Germany takes a point off of Czechia, all bets are off. That would be the best scenario for Canada, albeit highly unlikely. Germany will be playing a back-to-back and Czechia will be somewhat rested on New Year's Eve

Last edited:
Reactions: hak and jj cale

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Couldn't watch the game because I had to get up early this morning and have been travelling all day.
Just got home, and I am not too disappointed.

They kept it closer than they did two years ago, when they lost 2-16. Admittedly that team was shorthanded (9 F and 5 D), but they had Stützle and Peterka.
I just checked on the 5 major penalty, and I don't think it vicious or malicious, but the way he made contact with Fantilli's head this will always be a 5 minute major at an IIHF tournament.
Not the smartest play from Fantilli either, but Bettahar has to play that better and avoid the head. Hopefully, Fantilli will be alright and for Germany I hope that, Elten will be available vs. Austria.

Patman123and4

Dec 19, 2018

Scenarios for Canada's division aren't crystal clear. If Sweden beats Czechia and Canada beats Sweden, assuming no single points anywhere, those teams will tie for 1st. Tie-breaker in a 3-way tie is goal differential amongst the tied teams only. Czechia has the advantage being Canada by 3. Best case scenario if Canada wants to get 1st, would be for Sweden to beat Czechia by 3 this afternoon, and then for Canada to beat Sweden by 4 or more. That would give Canada a +1, Czechia a 0 and Sweden a -1 goal-differential amongst those three teams, and Canada would get 1st in the division.

Other scenario's where Canada can win the division:

- Sweden beats Czechia by 4; Canada beats Sweden by 4+. Czechia would be -1, Sweden would be 0 or worse, and Canada would be +1 or better.
- Sweden beats Czechia by 5; Canada beats Sweden by 4+. Czechia would be -2, Sweden would be +1 or worse, and Canada would be +1 or better. If Canada and Sweden tied in goal-differential amongst teams tied in points, Canada wins because they beat Sweden head-to-head. If Canada and Czechia tie in goal-differential in that scenario, then Czechia would win the division because they won the head-to-head against Canada.

Of course if Germany takes a point off of Czechia, all bets are off. That would be the best scenario for Canada, albeit highly unlikely. Germany will be playing a back-to-back and Czechia will be somewhat rested on New Year's Eve

Goal-differential will be the key.. i think Sweden will beat Czechia and then Canada beats sweden.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Which do you think has hurt Fantilli more?

the hip check last game
the helmet to helmet this game
his zero points in the tournament
Carlsson running past him on draft day

Flashback to the exact moment I knew Carlsson had passed Fantilli on draft night

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad