German-American Playing Juniors in Germany

BrianHockey

Feb 28, 2014
So my son’s grandfather and grandmother were born in Germany and have German citizenships. My son is currently playing Varsity prep-school hockey in New England and prior to that on a AAA team that was top 10. I always had an idea of him possibly playing in Germany during his junior years before playing NCAA college (D1 or D3) in the states. So this being said, I was wondering if anyone had suggestions or opinions to the following questions:

1. Can you develop, as a hockey player, playing juniors in Germany at the same rate as playing juniors (i.e. USHL or NAHL) in the states or Canada. Is competition comparable?

2. If he left school after his sophomore year (U16) can he finish school in Germany and still play hockey at the highest competive level for his age? Juniors or what?

3. Is there a Prep-school or High School hockey league equivalent in Germany?

At this point simply trying to find out if this is a good idea – would consider other countries, but since he has German lineage, thought we look at Germany first.

Thanks

GermanNuck

Jun 15, 2011
Germany
Well, it depends on his talent of course..
But the DNL, which is the highest junior league in Germany, managed to produce some talent lately. Draisaitl, Rieder, Kühnhackl, Grubauer, and basically every German talent lately was developed in the DNL before making the jump to the CHL or the USHL.

I don't know how to compare the NA-leagues to the german ones, i'd give an edge to America/Canada, but there are some powerhouses here where they really produce talent.

Mannheim, Landshut, Cologne (to a certain extend), Berlin, and many clubs in Bavaria.

There are schools in germany where he can do his training, and finish school, like special sports-school. He'd live there, take classes, and play hockey ;)

High-School sports is not as you'd imagine in the US. The clubs have teams on every level, so basically a kid can start playing for Cologne, and grow up playing for the club until he's ready to crack the DEL roster, no high-school involved, hope you get the idea. ;)

BrianHockey

Feb 28, 2014
Thank you GermanNuck

Would you know of big name Hockey International Schools that primarily speak English in Germany? In the States we have Shattuck Saint Mary’s in the West and Avon Old Farms in the East. Is there a school that has that kind of reputation in Germany?

Also, not knowing the Germany or European hockey landscape, does it make sense to come over with 2 years left in High School (grade 11 and 12) or in-between High School and College (he could spend 2 years after high school before going into College). If he comes over for grad 11 and 12 he would be 17 yrs old.

NCAA, US college hockey, usually wants player to spend 1 to 2 years in leagues like USHL or NAHL prior to entering college.

The goal is to continue playing hockey at the same development level that he currently has now. But also learn other cultures, continue obtaining an excellent education, and be exposed to future opportunities after college graduation.

Again thanks for your reply,
Brian

hage

Mar 9, 2011
Thank you GermanNuck

Would you know of big name Hockey International Schools that primarily speak English in Germany? In the States we have Shattuck Saint Mary’s in the West and Avon Old Farms in the East. Is there a school that has that kind of reputation in Germany?

Also, not knowing the Germany or European hockey landscape, does it make sense to come over with 2 years left in High School (grade 11 and 12) or in-between High School and College (he could spend 2 years after high school before going into College). If he comes over for grad 11 and 12 he would be 17 yrs old.

NCAA, US college hockey, usually wants player to spend 1 to 2 years in leagues like USHL or NAHL prior to entering college.

The goal is to continue playing hockey at the same development level that he currently has now. But also learn other cultures, continue obtaining an excellent education, and be exposed to future opportunities after college graduation.

Again thanks for your reply,
Brian

Sounds like you are looking for something like this: http://www.ohseurope.com

It's not in Germany though, it's in St. Pölten, Austria

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
@Brian it all depends on what your son wants to reach. If he wants to become a professional player (how good is he actually? any player profile available?) one would have to see if he wants to make it in North America or in Germany.

I could help you more if I know how good he is in school and in hockey. :)

If he is REALLY talented he should go for USHL/NAHL -> NCAA Div 1 -> AHL route.

PS: Does he speak German? Not that he would ever need it here. ;) Almost all people <30 speak English.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Looking at things purely from a hockey perspective, it makes no sense for your son to move to Germany if the goal is the play NCAA hockey.

First, the DNL, which is the most competitive league for junior aged hockey players in Germany, is essentially a Midget AAA level league which likely wouldn't be better for development than any number of US leagues closer to home. Second, and more importantly, a college scout is far more likely to see and recruit your son if he's playing here in the US. The latter reason is why most Europeans who end up playing NCAA hockey come to play in US junior leagues.

It might be a great cultural experience for your son to move to Germany for some period of time but if the goal is to have him play NCAA hockey there are just too many better options in the US to seriously consider it.

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
It might be a great cultural experience for your son to move to Germany for some period of time but if the goal is to have him play NCAA hockey there are just too many better options in the US to seriously consider it.

Especially as the DEL teams are scouting NCAA players. So if it is known that Brian's son has German ancestry he even could make it into a DEL team with a high salary after finnishing university if he is a top player or if he is a decent player at least he could make it into the lower German leagues for 1-2 years and use the free time to see Europe.

BrianHockey

Feb 28, 2014
Thank you, everyone, for the insightful information

Your comments as well as poking around on German/Austrian websites makes me believe that it is probably best for my son to stay in the US during high school as well as in-between High School and NCAA Hockey. Bottom line, it will be hard to match the competition level of the USHL/NAHL or the Canadian Junior Minor leagues. Also, unless you are a stud, College commitments would be difficult while he is in High School in Germany.

Vicente – the thought regarding “German ancestry†did cross my mind. He has a German last name and his grandparents were both born in Bielefeld and still have German citizenship. Question: How does that help you going into the DEL or other German leagues?

Also, does it make any sense to establish contact in Germany, either tryouts or camps prior to college graduation? Summer’s or even 1 year exchange program etc. ?

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
Vicente – the thought regarding “German ancestry” did cross my mind. He has a German last name and his grandparents were both born in Bielefeld and still have German citizenship. Question: How does that help you going into the DEL or other German leagues?

Also, does it make any sense to establish contact in Germany, either tryouts or camps prior to college graduation? Summer’s or even 1 year exchange program etc. ?

If your son would ever come to Germany to play hockey the federation / his club would be more than willing to help him to get a German passport.

The reason why NCAA / AHLers with German ancestry are so popular here is not because of their German background in the first place but there are strict foreigner limits in the German hockey leagues. So let's say he want to stay one year after college in Germany playing Oberliga he would have far better chances to find a team with German citizenship = domestic player.

Establishing contacts while being on college is definately important! A lot of things could be arranged earlier and if he plays well German teams can focus their scouting activities easier on him if they know there is a guy with a German ancestry.

I think Evan Kaufmann is a good example. He played USHL, then 4 years NCAA Div 1 where was scouted directly into a DEL team and now he plays for Team Germany at World Cups. http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=20578

BrianHockey

Feb 28, 2014
Again thx for the info. About making contact what are the norms in Germany regarding recruitment. Do you as a player simply approach a team or do you go through the league or do contact scouts directly? Are there tryouts or camps you can attend?

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
Again thx for the info. About making contact what are the norms in Germany regarding recruitment. Do you as a player simply approach a team or do you go through the league or do contact scouts directly? Are there tryouts or camps you can attend?

For foreigners it is different I think. You should definately contact the federation before because they can help you out with information about visa, how to get German passport, where to play, whom to contact etc!

hage

Mar 9, 2011
Usually North Americans who want to play in Germany get agents with European connections who then offer these players to basically every team they can find an email address of. The teams then look who they know in NA that has worked/played with that player and collect opionions about him.

There is no real scouting of players in NA. There's Canadians in most DEL clubs managements and they have their contacts back home they get information from, but that's it.

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
Usually North Americans who want to play in Germany get agents with European connections who then offer these players to basically every team they can find an email address of. The teams then look who they know in NA that has worked/played with that player and collect opionions about him.

There is no real scouting of players in NA. There's Canadians in most DEL clubs managements and they have their contacts back home they get information from, but that's it.

I am a friend of a Canadian agent who brings a lot of North American players to Europe. They are all adults though.

BrianHockey

Feb 28, 2014
After reading all the comments from this blog as well as other sources, it makes better sense for a College bound American Youth hockey player to stay in North America until he finishes College before exploring the possibilities of playing in Germany. Even attending German camps or tryouts really is not necessary until closer to his sophomore/Junior year of College. However, does it make sense to obtain a German passport now verses later? Also, can all these comments be applied to say countries like Sweden and Finland. We don’t have ancestry in Sweden or Finland, but what about playing and developing in hockey while in your High School years there? He already plays with swedes in his prep school, so can I apply the same logic that I have with Germany to Sweden and Finland.

Thanks again,
Brian

BrianHockey

Feb 28, 2014
Any feedback??

When to obtain German passport?

What about Finland and Sweden, does it make sense to train and play there before USA College?

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Any feedback??

When to obtain German passport?

What about Finland and Sweden, does it make sense to train and play there before USA College?

I am not vrey deep into German hockey, but I would expect German teams to follow an NCAA player much closer once he has a German passport. As said they don't scout on their self so no German team will know that he can get a German passport. But if he has one before he graduates, German teams will follow him much more for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad