News Article: Gerbe bemoans lack of playing time, being healthy scratch

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I was the one that scoffed at this, because I don't view them - more so Gerbe - as utterly detrimental. Just total nonentities, but not the reason why we totally suck.

But your case grows with every complaint and subsequent invisible showing from GerbeGone.

Consider that if a team that has lost 11 1-goal games gets more than three goals out of that roster spot (or Stafford's 4), we're not talking tank but 8-9 seeding.

Gerbe still looks like a collegiate scorer trying to do what he did as a collegiate scorer. When he's been more effective at this level, he was working as a checking player who could use his speed/tenacity to eliminate his man. His play has been very "me first" to me and match his comments. His possession numbers are indicative of someone who isn't playing simple, basic, sound hockey with or without the puck.

zero39

Dec 15, 2005
The only time that I saw Gerbe look other than useless was when he was playing on a line with two physical players, Gaustad and Kaleta. I have a feeling that it was mostly those guys. Gerbe is simply not an NHL player. Tries hard, sure. But he can't do anything. Not that fast, way too small, can't pass, can't score, can't kill penalties, can't play power play. The other players just shrug him off and he falls down. What do you do with a player like that other than waive him?

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Some people laughed when I said this is a #7 or #8 team right now if Regehr and Gerbe were replaced with useful players. It's not that far off honestly. The amount of time the opposition spend in our zone when either of them are on the ice.

Can anyone remember a Nathan Gerbe shift where had the puck in the opposing zone for more than 3 seconds? His goals have been flukey shots off rushes. He can't cycle the puck, can't win battles to keep the puck, he can't pass and he shoots the puck wide more often than not. He's garbage at Hockey.

I just looked it up, and the Sabres have a 30% Corsi For when Gerbe and Regehr are on the ice together. Gimminy Christmas. Possession black holes. Look at the difference in defensemen possession rates when they're with Gerbe as opposed to when they're without him:

(With-Without-Delta Without)

Ehrhoff: 45.2%, 52.3%, +7.1

Myers: 34.7%, 47.8%, +13.1

Regehr: 30.6%, 43.1%, +12.5%

Sekera: 38.7%, 45%, +6.3%

Weber: 44.0%, 39.6%, -4.4

Sulzer: 42.9%, 52.7%, +9.8

Leopold: 40.3%, 43.2%, +2.9%

Only Weber has worse possession numbers without Gerbe than with. The rest largely improve their possession numbers substantially when they get away from Nate.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I just looked it up, and the Sabres have a 30% Corsi For when Gerbe and Regehr are on the ice together. Gimminy Christmas. Possession black holes. Look at the difference in defensemen possession rates when they're with Gerbe as opposed to when they're without him:

(With-Without-Delta Without)

Ehrhoff: 45.2%, 52.3%, +7.1

Myers: 34.7%, 47.8%, +13.1

Regehr: 30.6%, 43.1%, +12.5%

Sekera: 38.7%, 45%, +6.3%

Weber: 44.0%, 39.6%, -4.4

Sulzer: 42.9%, 52.7%, +9.8

Leopold: 40.3%, 43.2%, +2.9%

Only Weber has worse possession numbers without Gerbe than with. The rest largely improve their possession numbers substantially when they get away from Nate.
I just realized I didn't even finish half of my sentences in that post, and I wasn't even drunk.

"The amount of time the opposition spend in our zone when either of them are on the ice is pathetic." is what I meant to say obviously.

I didn't follow how bad Gerbe's possession was when he first started playing this year but became aware from a New Jersey Devils blog of all places. The crazy thing is that it was in the game he scored 2 goals but his line's possession was so bad he was called out there, I believe it was right around 20%.

The way he's playing Hockey right now just does not work in the NHL. I don't know what Afinogenov's underlying numbers looked like when he played here but at least he was effective playing like this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad