News Article: Gerbe bemoans lack of playing time, being healthy scratch

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Per Bill Hoppe:

Gerbe, while diplomatic, clearly believes he should’ve kept playing.

“I thought I’ve been playing really well, getting chances when I’m out there and working hard,†said Gerbe, who had three goals in 25 games entering Saturday. “So that’s all I can control.â€

Not only does Nate think he's playing well--really?--but he thinks he's playing really well. Is this guy from outer space?

What say you, Ron Rolston?

Rolston was blunt about Gerbe’s play, saying Thursday, “He was a player that … didn’t give us a reason to keep him right now.â€

Fair enough, I think most would agree with that assessment.

How'd Nate take that, Bill Hoppe? Maybe a cliche about how he has to put his head down and keep going, or execute better.

Gerbe, when informed of Rolston’s words, said, “No, I don’t agree with that at all. I need minutes to play better.†He also said: “Anyone would want more than five minutes.â€

Oh, Gerbe believes that not only was Rolston wrong in scratching him, but he believes he should be receiving even more ice time.

Still, it feels like he gets a lot more than 5 minutes/game. If only there was a place to look that up...

The 25-year-old has been averaging 12:07 a game this season. Gerbe has only played less than 6:01 once this season.

Ah, there it is.

He scored twice Feb. 28 and again on March 3. He hasn’t scored since.He was an elite scorer in the NCAA, the AHL and has showcased flashes of that ability in the NHL, tallying 16 times two years ago.

But what’s it going to take for him to break through as a scorer in the big leagues? “I think it’s consistency of playing,†Gerbe said. “It’s tough going in and out and (skating) five minutes. So I think it’s just consistency of getting confidence and playing.â€

There it is again. The guy was blindsided by being a healthy scratch, and wants MORE playing time than the 12 minutes/game he's getting.

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/slumping-stafford-benched-as-gerbe-returns-for-sabres/

I can't imagine the organization likes guys complaining to the press about playing time. With Andy Strickland reporting earlier this season that Regier was trying to move Gerbe, I have to wonder if they're trying to audition him a few more times before the deadline. I think his days are numbered here.

cardiffgiant

Continue without supporting us
Sep 28, 2005
It probably wouldn't hurt if one or two of his shots weren't from an angle, taken about 30 feet away from the net.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
Not sure what to do with this. I like Gerbe as a player, but the plain fact of it is he needs to score. He has the ability, but just working hard isn't going to keep him on a roster.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Gerbe is an effort player in a league where effort alone isn't getting it done for him. 95% of the time he is stood up by the opposition defense.....rather easily I might add.

Sucks for him but it is what it is.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
hate this team..if you want to call them a "team"

bunch of stat chasing individuals if you ask me

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I love Gerbes drive and the fact that he's feisty,but he has zero hockey sense.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Well, he's right.

About what? He hasn't played well or really well. He's getting 12 mins/game, which, for a guy who isn't producing anything and plays in the bottom-6, is quite a bit of TOI. He's a possession black hole. Put simply, he's getting opportunity he's just not doing anything with it. Then he has the gall to make bogus assertions about his ice time--"five minutes per game"--and say he's playing really well, and should be playing more.

Other than his work ethic, he really doesn't have anything to hang his hat on. There are plenty of energy players around the league getting far less ice time and not complaining about it.

Squantosawuss

Dec 10, 2010
B-lo
This all reminds me of a new big boss at a company I worked at years ago.

He basically told everybody that he didn't care how long they've been there, how hard they worked or how loyal they've been. If they don't produce, they're gone.

I respected that, actually.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
This all reminds me of a new big boss at a company I worked at years ago.

He basically told everybody that he didn't care how long they've been there, how hard they worked or how loyal they've been. If they don't produce, they're gone.

I respected that, actually.

I notice you said, "worked at" in the past tense. :sarcasm:

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
He's just too small to be effective along the boards or in the crease area, and that kind of response and/or attitude won't work either. Please trade him for a 5th rd pick, maybe 6th, or just waive him. Rudy is a great story, but he only had one play for a reason.

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
We need to gut this team of any players that have a sense of entitlement. If Gerbe and Kaleta want to make comments to the press about being benched then get rid of them to send a message to everyone else...nobody is above the team.

Regier and Rolston need to find a way to build a cohesive locker room. While we need better players this team also needs an identity and a winning attitude.

thefifagod

I'm The Survivor
Jul 3, 2008
He's the worst forward on the roster not named John Scott. Yes, I'm including Hecht. He's the worst possession player on the team and doesn't score goals while getting 12 minutes per game. It's comical that he thinks he deserves more time; he's lucky to be getting what he is. I hope he's scratched again on Tuesday.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
We need to gut this team of any players that have a sense of entitlement. If Gerbe and Kaleta want to make comments to the press about being benched then get rid of them to send a message to everyone else...nobody is above the team.

Regier and Rolston need to find a way to build a cohesive locker room. While we need better players this team also needs an identity and a winning attitude.

There's a HUGE difference between what Kaleta said and what Gerbe said. Kaleta was just venting and being angry about not playing...wanting to be in to help the team. Gerbe was complaining about how the coach has used him and used that as an excuse for why his production is low.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
I love how Buffalo fans are constantly complaining about how lazy and heartless this team is, how they don't represent this blue collar, hard working, underdog town, but we are immediately ready to rip down the one guy on that team who represents those qualities more than anyone ever could. If he wants to play and he wants more playing time, good, he's a competitor. He should.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad