Confirmed with Link: GERARD GALLANT FIRED

Status
Not open for further replies.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
I’d like to point out that this was a roster built for today and winning today- how that is not obvious to everyone on this board is beyond me. So I’d suspect they want a win now type coach, considering their first overall pick looks like a D level beer league guy and their second overall pick looks like he might be, at best a plug along 50 point guy. So look at the list of candidates and tell me who is a win now guy that has not flamed out with other teams— multiple times???

All this nonsense about “play as a team” is comical. You really believe most NHL coaches don’t coach the exact same way using basically the same systems?!?! Come
On- and you don’t even need to listen to me— just watch any new player interview when they are acquired. Every single time they say “ this team basically runs the same style as my other team.”

Coaching in the NHL is way more about personal interactions with players and managing lineups and matching up lines in games. The penalty kill and powerplay are different all together as those are unique by team and personnel but 5 on 5 hockey- no teams are doing much very differently.

The Rangers' roster WAS built for winning today.

Unless Tarasenko is willing to take a team friendly deal, Kane opts to get surgery and sign an incentive laden 1-year deal and promptly goes on IR to come back in March as a third liner, Mikkola hangs around on the cheap because him and Kakko are so happy to be teammates, etc. - this WAS a team built for winning today. Because all of those guys are gone otherwise.

If none of the above come back, you're going to have the same gaping holes in the top 6 at RW and on the 3rd D pair the team had most of the season. While I'm optimistic Kakko can thrive in top line minutes if we get a coach that's finally smart enough to leave him there, in reality he's likely at least 2 years away from putting up top flight production while all of the core will be a year older.

Next year's coach will have to get the most out of young talent, not necessarily "win now." If the kids top out as 55 point middle 6ers, this team is screwed in a couple years and it'll be back to the same old buyouts (gee - we finally get them off the books this offseason!) and salary dump trades to try and free up enough cap to make a run at a big FA because there won't be enough scoring.

And if you're looking for a win now coach, Gallant really wasn't that either. Taking a team to the Stanley Cup Finals in their first season on fluke career years from players who never came close to repeating them under that coach's tutelage (and hot goaltending) is hardly the accompllishment some people are making it out to be. That's an aberration, not a measure of skill. Coaches get lucky all the time. A coach's job isn't just to win but also to get the most out of his players. In that regard Gallant failed spectacularly.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada

Mike Kelly is Gallant's right hand man. He joins him wherever he goes. I'd be shocked if GG doesn't take him with him to his next stop. Which I expect to be Columbus or similar.
I could see Calgary being a fit for Gallant. Polar opposite of Darryl Sutter, whom the players hated. Gallant will be an easierfir for that roster.

hackeyman

Jun 26, 2018
Actually... It was. Quinn didn't get fired right away. They wanted to make sure Drury wanted to go in a different direction before giving him his walking papers.
I meant Kelly was fired /left with Gallant the previous 2 times.

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
Check World Championships and see how Kakko will be one of the best forwards on Team Finland, Then say "Why would anyone hire this clown for a NHL head coach when we have so many absolute monkeys that dont have a job"

TheGortonConspiracy

Wow its a nice GM
May 2, 2017
NYC
IMG_9340.jpg

There is no obvious first choice for coach this time around but we're not going to lose sleep over it. Bed time

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
That's the opposite of what most players say. Most say, something along the lines of "I'm still learning to be comfortable in this new system."

Every team plays a different style.

On the Rangers, however, it seemed like each line played a different style.
Total BS. Like you are making stuff up level bad. Go watch Kane’s first few interviews at the deadline, sad basically “hardest part was adjusting to NYC.”

I mean I don’t make things up like you so read this article- almost says exactly what I said about Kane- heck it’s even an interview with the guy!
Kane talks being comfortable after trade to Rangers in Q&A with NHL.com

Go back and watch Taresenko’s interviews- said basically exactly the same thing.

But it’s cool- you can create your own fake interpretations of how different every NHL team plays and be completely wrong.

Let me fill you in on a little secret- NHL hockey has been played basically using the same 3 or so forecheck systems for the entire time of the modern NHL. Teams either play a 1-2-2, a 2-1-2 or a heavy pressure the puck system. In the neutral zone they either play a trap, left wing lock or a pressure the puck system and for defensive zone coverage they’re either play man or zone. That’s it buddy- that’s what’s out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crease

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
The Rangers' roster WAS built for winning today.

Unless Tarasenko is willing to take a team friendly deal, Kane opts to get surgery and sign an incentive laden 1-year deal and promptly goes on IR to come back in March as a third liner, Mikkola hangs around on the cheap because him and Kakko are so happy to be teammates, etc. - this WAS a team built for winning today. Because all of those guys are gone otherwise.

If none of the above come back, you're going to have the same gaping holes in the top 6 at RW and on the 3rd D pair the team had most of the season. While I'm optimistic Kakko can thrive in top line minutes if we get a coach that's finally smart enough to leave him there, in reality he's likely at least 2 years away from putting up top flight production while all of the core will be a year older.

Next year's coach will have to get the most out of young talent, not necessarily "win now." If the kids top out as 55 point middle 6ers, this team is screwed in a couple years and it'll be back to the same old buyouts (gee - we finally get them off the books this offseason!) and salary dump trades to try and free up enough cap to make a run at a big FA because there won't be enough scoring.

And if you're looking for a win now coach, Gallant really wasn't that either. Taking a team to the Stanley Cup Finals in their first season on fluke career years from players who never came close to repeating them under that coach's tutelage (and hot goaltending) is hardly the accompllishment some people are making it out to be. That's an aberration, not a measure of skill. Coaches get lucky all the time. A coach's job isn't just to win but also to get the most out of his players. In that regard Gallant failed spectacularly.

Ok another fake narrative just spewed out there- Gallant did not get the most out of his players?!?!!? HAHAHAHAHA. That’s honestly hysterically bad- I guess career years for, Panarian, Fox, Mica, Chytil, Kreider and Igor all don’t show him getting the best out of his players??? No wait, you are right, I’m wrong- he should have had all 18 players on the roster get career years.

Was a win now team?!?! Again what planet are you living on— so the Rangers should
Somehow not try to win with likely the strongest group of NHL talent they will be able to accumulate so we can see how the young guys play?!?! Like that’s the most laughable take ever. Beyond the fact that we all largely know what the young guys are- terrible to slightly average— what is the purpose of sacrificing this core’s greatest opportunities to see if we have a “next core” in Kappo and Laf??? Please I really need someone to explain what this obsession is with always “planning for the future” when you have a chance to win now.

Let me explain to you how this all plays out. The rangers go all in again next year to try and win a cup. Then the following year they maybe try one last time. After that this core will be too old, too many games on their bodies, too beat up to honestly give it a go a third year and they get blown up and the team enters another rebuild. That’s 100% how this is going to play out. They won’t just continue to wait for Laf and Kappo to develop on their own pathetically slow timeline.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
Let me fill you in on a little secret- NHL hockey has been played basically using the same 3 or so forecheck systems for the entire time of the modern NHL. Teams either play a 1-2-2, a 2-1-2 or a heavy pressure the puck system. In the neutral zone they either play a trap, left wing lock or a pressure the puck system and for defensive zone coverage they’re either play man or zone. That’s it buddy- that’s what’s out there.
Torpedo system says "hi"

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I saw this morning that someone was confirming, I thought it was Eliotte Freidman but I can't locate it now, that Jeff Blashill was the front-runner for the Rangers job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad